iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats your favorite saw ever?

Started by DanManofStihl, September 22, 2004, 07:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanManofStihl

I was just wondering what everyones favorite saw was. I would have to say mine is my stihl 066 magnum it has the power and the light weight. Whats yours can be new or old just want to know what you all think.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

sawguy21

Now that is a tough one. It used to be the Stihl 041AV but I did not realize how heavy they were until recently. Right now it is the Husky 55 RANCHER. Only saw under 60cc that will pull full size chain and super reliable. Another favourite is the Echo CS-341 ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Timberwerks

I would have to say my Husky 385. It is very close to the size of my 372 but with a little extra hp.

Dale

Bro. Noble

Of all the saws we have or have had in the past,  I enjoy using a sthil 09 the best :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

sawguy21

That 009 is a dated design bui is a great little saw.Good torque for a 41cc saw and barks like a big dog. Just wish it had anti-vibe

Ed

I would have to go with my Husky 254xp, decent weight lots-o-power.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jtmccallum

My next saw.  ;D   I was at our Stihl and Husky dealers this week.  The Stihl MS361 kinda got my attention.  
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

kenskip1

This is a close one however, I will have to give my Stihl, 028 as my favority. Dependable as death and taxes, reliable as the price of gas going up.My seckond is my Stihl, 041. Just like my mother in law. Heavy but loves to cut into something. This saw can be tempermental, but once it gets going look out. The chips do fly, Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

oldsaw

even though it is light for what it does, I like something a bit lighter, but that power is hard to give up.  If my Homelite Super XL had a bit more power, it would be great. I like the way it feels, nice balance, easy to control.

A recently departed friend of mine had a Husky 254, and although I thought the balance was off, it had really good power in the pines we were taking down, although none of them were sizable, they don't get too big over 8000ft, I never felt shorted.

Maybe I am changing my mind.  The power is awful hard to give up.  Okay, the 066 it is.  DanG, I feel like "Tim the Toolman".  Now I've got to get a 16 or 18" bar for it....Thanks...thanks a lot. :D

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

sawguy21

The crack about the mother in law was good. That 041  was a d**n good unit . Lots of torque I sure never had trouble with it Oldsaw, where do you find 8000 ft in MO. You could roll a bowling ball to Albuquerque from there

leweee

Table saw

;D
[size=9]OH  NINE OH[/size] 8) 8) 8) 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Sawyerfortyish

I got his little brother 070. The moter sounds a lot differant than any of the other stihls I have. A bit heavy to carry around tho. But I see Leweee has that extra carrying handle that helps  ;)

Ianab

Count another Vote for the  8) 090  8)

Now if I had to carry it around all day I might think different, but mine is on wheels with a swingblade attached  :)
And yes, those big old Stihls have a totally different sound, especially when its got the inertia of the circle blade. Takes a few seconds to rev up to speed and has a nice growl on the overrun when you throttle off at the end of a cut.  

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

OneWithWood

I have fond memories of my Stihl 038s.  The 038 Pro was the best of 'em.  Having said that, my MS440 Magnum is noticeably lighter and more powerful than the 038s and uses less gas and oil to boot!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

oldsaw

Colorado.  Was above Estes Park thinning and cutting out dead stuff for landowners.  Ever get outworked by someone who's 70, when you aren't 30?....the air gets thin for a flatlander.  

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

isawlogs

I've had many saws,  having said that I think the 162 husky was and is one of the best saw ever made , light and had it could turn . The 028 super wood boss is close , I used these saws wile slashing in James Bay , the trees where not big in diameter alight weight saw that had rpm was the key to make money.
  Now around the mill I have my 036 artic with 20 inch bar
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Sawyerfortyish

Probobly one of the best saws I ever had was an 032. We used it in the sawmill to cut slabs 5 days a week 6-8 hrs a day for 16 yrs. Then we had it rebuilt and got 2 more yrs out of it. Took it in to get reworked again and they told me to stick it in a garbage can :'(
   I have over 20 Stihl saws and out of all of them I had one bad one an 044. Can't say what one is my favorite each has pros and cons. Some have power, some speed,some lightweight and some will kill you to carry around all day in the woods. I am bias tho as Stihl saws are all I have ever run.

sawguy21

Lewee, that gives table saw a whole new meaning. ;D What did your other half have to say about this? That was a common sight  on the B.C. coast but I for one cannot imagine packing it up and down those slopes. Took a bigger man than me.
Speaking of 070's, a customer phoned wanting to buy one! I said I have not seen one of those for over 20 years. Turns out they are still being built for south east Asia

Sawyerfortyish

Sawguy21 all the parts are still available for the 070 I just bought one at a farm auction and asked about parts.

Bro. Noble

Jeff,

Do you like your engine mounted saw or your cable drive 'Rim Saw' the best?  I guess you havn't used the cable drive yet ;)

You'll like both of them better after they are sharpened properly ::)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

abeyanko414

I like the 046 Stihl for a big saw. The 044 is nice, but for just a few bucks more you can get that extra horse. My MS270 is close in power, weight and all to the Rancher 55. I bought it and was unhappy at first becasue I thought it had a  lack of power. I even tried selling it on this site. But now that I've used it quite a bit more now, I absolutley love it. It has the floating powerhead like the pro saws, tooless chain tensioner and so on. It powers a 20' bar just fine. At 11 pounds you can't really argue, and the almost total lack of vibration is nice on a guy who's had surgery on both wrists for carpal tunnel. If I had my choice I'd probably have a 270 like I have now with a 20" bar for 90% of the time, and a 046 with a 28 to 32" bar for the occasional stuff. Just my thoughts. Good question though, it's kind of like politics.

Bushwhacker

MS460 for me. I cut mesquite and it's plenty hard wood.
KLH

Blake22

My favorite is the little red toy saw I bought at Sears. It makes chainsaw noises & the chain even moves.But the reason I like it is when my 2 year old daughter puts the googles on upside down & holds it with her hands all crossed-up.It just don't get no better than that. ;D
Blake

Tom

I want one!    .......two year old granddaughter that is. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!