iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a new Husky, 357xp vs 365

Started by Grand Pooh Bah, October 25, 2004, 12:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grand Pooh Bah

Looking for a new chainsaw that can handle a 20" bar.  I've been looking at the Husqvarna 357xp and 365   They both sell for the same price $470.

:P The main differences I see is the weight and power.  The 357 is 12.1 lbs and the 365 is 13 lbs.  The 357 is 3.45 cu in. with 4.4 hp and the 365 is 4.0 cu in. and 4.6 hp.  I also notice in the spec. the 357xp runs at 14000 mm and the 365 runs at 12500 mm maximum engine speed.  

Is the 357xp going to handle the 20" bar ok?
Will the extra weight of the 365 wear on my already tired back? Or will its extra power make the job go quicker?

I will be cutting 5-10 cords of firewood and maintaining a couple acres of woods on a yearly basis.  I need speed, reliability and endurance from my new chainsaw.  I expect it to be my last chainsaw purchase.

IndyIan

I've got a 372 and I believe a 365 is basically a detuned 372.  It does get heavy after a while when used for limbing, for firewood its ok, I let the saw weight do the work.  

I think the 357 is a good comprimise of weight and power though and it will cut really fast through little stuff and fast enough with the bar buried.

Ian

rebocardo

I have two Husky 365s and

> Will the extra weight of the 365 wear on my already tired back

I am not sure that extra pound will make all that much difference, but, after six hours you will notice it especially if working at waist to shoulder height limbing. If a sore back is a big concern you might opt for one of the smaller saws under 10#, either Husky or Stihl.

The Husky 365 is pretty fast with safety chain and I use both 20" cross cut and 28" ripping chain to split firewood fast. My first 365 had problems, but, my second has been problem free.

If this is the last saw for you to buy, then know it can run a 28" bar and you can use it for a small chainsaw mill. I hate to say it, but, if it

> I expect it to be my last chainsaw purchase

is true I might step up to a Husky 372 for its potential vs. slightly higher cost which over a period of ten years is not much. There is not much weight difference between a 365 and 372, if anything real world at all.

If cost is an object, it was with me (why I have two) , then the Husky 365 with a 20 inch bar will be fine.

My first saw probably has over 100 hours on it now (over 100 gallons of gas), using it for a lot of milling time too. Which is 3-4 hours steady at a time. It has mainly been used the whole time with a 28" bar, so it has been worked harder then you probably will use it with a 20 inch bar and firewood. FWIW.

weimedog

I put time on a 257xp, 357xp, and 371XP. Both the smaller saws were wonderful but you had to keep them wound up. The 371 just wore me out after a couple of hours. So I bought a 365 hoping for a compromize..and I'm glad I did. For an all around saw it works really well and it has more power at the part throttle low rpms than the 357xp. (I know ..supposed to run flat out..) Bottom line is the 365 is more flexible and has enough power to pull a larger bar if I choose. If I was a pro? The bigger saws pay. If I had smaller wood, maybe the 357...but I maintain 266 acres of woods&farm for horse trails, firewood, and milling my own (hardwood Maple and red oak) lumber for projects. I still would buy the 365 given the same choise.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Grand Pooh Bah

Thanks for your input!

Well I "Bit-the-Bullet" and ordered a 372xp Husky yesterday from Southwest Fastner.  After talking to some locals I elected to move up to a 24" bar.  I ordered some extra chains  and a Husky Arborist Helmet from Commercial Cutters Direct.

I havent had a saw this big or powerful before and I have some safety concerns.  Can anyone here recommend a pair of good Chaps that don't $cost$ an "Arm & Leg" ;)

beenthere

Grand Poo Bah
Congrats on the saw move.  ;)
I get mine (chaps) from Forestry Suppliers, at about $80. I don't consider that a bad price for the protection they give to my "legs". The two scars I have in two pair of chaps would have been major hospital and Dr. time (if I had made it out of the woods even) without the chaps. I use the chaps now for splitting wood on the splitter, just because they offer protection to my clothing beneath. Great for walking through briars and berry bushes too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Pete J

I can't complain about your choice. I have a 365 and love it. The fact that you can and did get the 372xp means you'll love it even more. Power is a good thing!

edge

I recently went with the Husky 359 as a compromise between the 357XP and the 365...I just added a post about it.  Did you look at the 359 at all?

Thank You Sponsors!