iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Corners

Started by iffy, August 11, 2010, 12:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iffy

Am going to be building a garage as soon as I get my house finished. The house is 9" swedish cope and I want the garage to have a log appearance also. I have decided to use log siding on a stick framed building with vertical log corners. The siding will be 2 x 8 log siding. I picked up some 8" logs on my last trip to Colorado and want to use those for the corner trim. I need to cut a 90 degree notch out of the log so it will set against the two adjacent walls on the garage corners and the log siding will butt up to the trim log. Am looking at different ways of doing this, and by hand with a chain saw is close to the bottom of my list. Thought about taking a little slice off two adjacent sides with a band mill, then use my 12" skil saw to cut the notch out. Also wondered about getting somebody with a swing mill to cut the notches for me, but I don't know how hard this would be for them to set up accurately, as I have never used a swing mill. Here is what I want the log to look like. The shaded area is what I want to remove. What about it, you swing mill guys, will this work?

1938farmall

i was going to do the same thing & planned to saw the log down the middle, then saw one half down the middle again, then glue/screw the 1/4 log back onto the 1/2 log with 3"-4" deck screws & polyurethane construction adhesive.  al
aka oldnorskie

Jeff

I suspect I spelled out how to make them in this thread.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,7218.0.html

If not, I can answer questions when I get home. Its pretty easy to do and you only need a skillsaw and a chainsaw, ruler and chalk line.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

iffy

Thanks for the suggestions. Since my mill is still in the construction phase, I am going to have to haul the logs to a mill if any milling is required. I may end up doing the skilsaw/chainsaw thing after all. I tend to over engineer stuff. My wife calls it anal. ::)

Jeff

I think the skillsaw  chainsaw method is actually the easiest way if you don't happen to have a swing mill handy. In fact I might still use the method for the following reason. The only reason for the skillsaw is to get sharp lines.You can remove the other wood with the chainsaw at will. Removing too much (hollowing the corners a bit) actually aides in the fit of the corners and further removes the possibilities of any checking as they dry. All the movement is taken up by the absence of wood.  The corners on my house don't have a single check in them, which I feel goes a long way towards longevity of the wood.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!