iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw Milling a Flower Box

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, April 08, 2014, 08:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Take a 12 foot, 23" dia., bark free Loblolly Pine and "go to town". (old saying).  :)

Saw the bottom flat.....then saw the sides off and save them to reattach.

Then chainsaw a groove from top to bottom to allow the mill blade to gut the log. As I was sawing the center I got some very nice 17" wide Pine slabs.

I then took the side slabs I had saved and nailed them back on with 60 penny spikes......using a sledge hammer.

After attaching the sides back on, I had to use the backhoe to move it out.....heavy....but nice.

I made a base to set it on out of 2 / 3 foot Pine logs sawn flush on both side.

I then used the backhoe to fill the log with top soil and potting soil. Transported the whole log to the house and pressured washed it. Planted my flowers from Lowe's and BAM!.......Very nice looking, I think.  smiley_thumbsup

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hamish

When the snow is gone, I think that will be my first spring project!
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Bill Gaiche

Thats real cool. I bet you get some request to build more. bg

Kipper

That is awesome! I think I will make one this weekend, I hope I can get $300 out if it! 8)
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

pineywoods

Dave, your ingenuity never ceases to amaze me.  ;D Got a bunch of old logs like that, I'll have to try that..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Kipper on April 08, 2014, 08:30:24 PM
That is awesome! I think I will make one this weekend, I hope I can get $300 out if it! 8)

Good one Kipper! :D :D :D There's just something about $300.00 that makes my flower grow.  :D

This method sure beats gutting a log with a chain saw!  ;D

tmarch

Good job, hint try some olylog screws to reattach the pieces, easier than a sledge hammer.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Sixacresand

Good job, David.  Nancy saw the post and wants two in the front yard.  Thanks a lot.   :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Sixacresand on April 08, 2014, 09:01:37 PM
Good job, David.  Nancy saw the post and wants two in the front yard.  Thanks a lot.   :D

You're welcome my good 'ol buddy 'ol Pal.....now make Nancy happy!  :D

yukon cornelius

I have been wanting to do that on a smaller scale though. you always do nice work!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

WDH

Seeing that, I was itching for some paddles  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on April 08, 2014, 09:24:12 PM
Seeing that, I was itching for some paddles  :D.

You know....that was discussed between Paul and me.  :D :D :D :D

WDH

The shellcrackers will be bedding soon  :).  (Heck, I bet that they are already bedding.  I am sure that those flowers will grow just fine in a pile of potting soil  ;D.)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mikeb1079

thats pretty cool poston   8)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

StimW

Just curious if you should have coated the inside with some kind of tar to make it last longer?
Maybe plastic liner?
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: StimW on April 08, 2014, 09:38:26 PM
Just curious if you should have coated the inside with some kind of tar to make it last longer?
Maybe plastic liner?

I did think about that Stim....but also thought about water drainage for the plants.
I hope it last 3 years....but we'll see......at least I always have more logs like this to replace it when needed.
Good thought though. smiley_thumbsup

YellowHammer

Now that is a great idea.   8)
Flower pot, canoe, duck boat and deer blind all in one.   :D
Covers all the bases.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

You can hide from the ducks in the flowers.  Brilliant!

JohnM

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on April 08, 2014, 09:41:27 PM
Quote from: StimW on April 08, 2014, 09:38:26 PM
Maybe plastic liner?

I did think about that Stim....but also thought about water drainage for the plants.
I hope it last 3 years....but we'll see......at least I always have more logs like this to replace it when needed.
Good thought though. smiley_thumbsup
What about lining it with landscape fabric?  Would drain but no direct contact between soil and wood.  Just a thought.  It's pretty DanG cool either way!  I love my Lucas but I'll admit there are some things I can't do with it, this being one. :-\
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

scleigh

Poston, Did you loose your winter coat ( beard) ?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: scleigh on April 08, 2014, 10:17:22 PM
Poston, Did you loose your winter coat ( beard) ?

Yep....traded it for Petunias.  :D

customdave

I've gutted deer, moose, elk, buffalo, beef, lamb, fish,....but never even heard of gutten a log before.... h'.........m interesting look s cleaner too! 8)

NICE!!!.....Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

justallan1

That looks really nice, David.
I just finished my second one using the chainsaw, pry bars, hammer and chisels. I think yours came out much cleaner and with a lot less of a sore back. :D

Allan

giant splinter

Very nice idea and it looks like a nice spot to plant some maters also.
roll with it

Nomad

Creative, David!  And a really nice job of it too.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!