iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Have to add a new stihl saw (update)

Started by teakwood, January 07, 2017, 09:05:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

Update:

We went to the expo and she looked at me with that expression so i could not resist, i had to take her home!! MS361 List price was 713$ and i fought for a discount and final price was 622$ ;D ;D
last week i sold my oldest 260 for 210$ to soften out the purchase price of the 361. Now i am left with 2 260s, 361, 066.
Of course the 361 came with a 25" bar! ??? ::)  The people here think its more saw if there is a bigger bar on it :-X
I changed out the bar with the 066 and put the new 18" ES bar i bought 2 month ago on ebay. Will try RS and RM chain

Comparison with the 260. its not much bigger but 1.1hp more and just 0.8kg (1.8lbs) heavier

Both with 18" bar. .325 on the 260 and 3/8" on the 361

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

DelawhereJoe

How much better does your 361 cut compared to your 260 in that teak ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

teakwood

I haven't cut any teak with it, until December i will.  i have put just 2 tanks thru it, i'm not impressed.  But i will be fair to the saw as i know i needs 15tanks to develop the full power. the saw i like, the power is still ....naaa.  If i don't like it after brake in i probably port it

teakwood

Update: first day i tried the new 361 in the plantations, i'm at the 4th tank and she is slowly waking up, i am pretty pleased.
she feels quiet a bit heavier than the 260, well i am out of shape also because i have not logged for a long time and its pretty wet now and the slopes aren't helping ether. BUT i would say that the cuttingspeed has increased a good 30-40%!! ;D. she cuts thru that young teak like butter.

Am i happy that i followed Holmens advice on the 18" bar and not the 20" i initially wanted.

teakwood

Update: one month into the thinning and at least 50 tanks thru the MS361, back in shape (lost 8kg), the weight of the 361 feels like a 260 but double DanG do i like that saw, powerfull and compact.

one day i used the 260 for falling, after one tree i handed it over to the help and grabbed the 361 again, do i don't like the 260 anymore.

The 3/8 chain is awesome. i didn't like the RS, filled they cut like hell but after 2-3 trees they're dull and then you're alot slower. for my work the RM chain is king

One of my two 260 is getting tired, shes 14 years old :'(. Maybe its time to try the new introduced MS 382 ;D ;D

Greyhound

Great to hear the positive updates.  I have owned an MS260, MS261, MS361 and MS461 (US specs).  I have to say, your 260 and 361 sound PERFECT for your use.  BTW, I'm totally not surprised that the RS dulls quick for you.  Teak has a whole lot of tyloses and natural silicates (like sand paper) that are "heck" on steel cutters. 

teakwood

good post

i would love to try a MS261 C model but they're not available here. also the 461.

Thank You Sponsors!