iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My homemade mill

Started by highpockets, December 07, 2005, 06:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highpockets

Hi folks,
I am new to this forum so please hang with me. Most of my forum stuff is on Practical Machinist, but I also kind of do a little sawing and building.  Several days ago after I registered I read an input where someoen was building a mill. I mistakenly thought it was "ronwood" so I sent him an email. Seems I got my folks mixed up but he suggested I post some photos, etc. Well here goes.

This mill will handle about a 26" x 26' log.  Although I have a pretty nice machine shop, I had never sawed a piece of wood other than with a dull handsaw. Just joking.  Anyway, there is a lot to learn when building one from ground up.  I told some people that it was one thing to build a mill and a totally different to understand how to operate it.

This unit has a 20 H.P. Honda Engine for the main power. I used a 5 H.P. Briggs for hydraulics.  There are 8 hydraulic circuits that operate everything.  The loading, rotating and clamping systems work very nicely.  The lifting system was a chain lift via a gearbox.  This has been recently been changed to a two arm lift with a cylinder.  Much better.   The original power was transmitted by tightening an idler.  I realized that this did not allow me to stop the blade during clamping, loading, etc. I recently put a Kuboto solenoid on the throttle and installed an Osram centrifugal clutch.  I also just finished a new blade guide that I really like.

I see people asking about feed.  Feed control has been my main problem.  I used a hydraulic motor that gives 295 R.P.M.'s at 16 gal.  My power system pump puts out some 5 gal/min.  The motors lowest speed is about 45 R.P.M.  This is visa a 2 1/2 sprocket riding No. 50 chain.  This can be a little fast in knotty and hard woods.  I forgot the actual speed but I believe it is in neighborhood of 25 ft/min.   I have the saw in for the modifications mentioned and am testing it now.  I know it is not a WM but it does a pretty good job.  If I can help anyone please drop me a line. 

I hope this topic and photos work.  Thanks for putting up with me.

Seems that this forum will not take a jpg file so I'll send photos later.
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

freddycougar

:P   i am  making a bandmill also,, hydraulic drive and lift.  here are some pics http://photoshare.shaw.ca/view.php?VEID=10198_rvBOGN1133954915bxfDtE&mesg=1

highpockets

I am very impressed with the photos.  I had problems getting my photos on the forum.  We have hundreds of jpg photos but I have never had the need to go to tif, mpg, etc.  It seems that this forum will not accept jpg.  We use --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com. I converted a file and tried to upload it to --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!-- but it still shows it as a jpg file. 

Anyway, after seeing what a fine job you are doing, I kind of glad mine did not show up.  I can not imagine the time you'll have in this machine.  Good luck.
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Lud

Welcome ,  Highpockets.  8)

Check out the search feature for loading pictures to your own album here at FF.  DanG did a nice thread .  Once you shrink your shots with IXT whcih you download and dump your own jpgs into you album it makes sense .  It's efficient for this community.

We want to see your pics TOO!. 

There's machinery nuts, production nuts, woodworker nuts, arty nuts of all kinds at FF. Regular bunch of Mixed Nuts! :D :D :D

I think of it as sitting at the breakfast counter  with several hundred close friends who like to hear a good story as much as tell one....plus someone probably has an answer to my burning question of the day. :)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

jrokusek

WOW.  Very impressive work.  Makes mine look even more redneck.  BTW, I like that you have one of the hydraulic parts on your coffee table in front of your couch.  I used to be able to so that....before I was married......

Jim

DanG

Hi, High! :)  We'd all like to see your pics.  We like pics!  Go to "Behind the Forum" and check out the instruction I wrote, and the picturized version that Buzz wrote, and the addendum that JeffB wrote.  If ya still have trouble, just ask and we'll help ya through it.  It takes a little bit of effort to get set up, but after ya do it a time or two, it gets easy.  There are some real good reasons for doing the photos this way, and it is well worth the little bit of effort it requires.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

What DanG said.   And, jpg is preferred.   Once you get the hang of the procedure, you will realize that it really isn't all that difficult. 

Because the entire forum is the archives, putting your picture on the Forum Gallery will assure that your post will always have its picture.   If you peruse the forum and see broken picture links in old post, it is usually because they were displayed using an outside gallery.  Eventually the guy needed more room and deleted his old pictures or the outside gallery went defunct.  Their posts suffered by losing the picture.  :)

Modat22

I'm drooling literally. Thats some impressive looking work. There is no way mine will compare to that masterpiece your building.

Good work!
remember man that thy are dust.

toxedo_2000

Quote from: freddycougar on December 07, 2005, 06:57:26 AM
:P   i am  making a bandmill also,, hydraulic drive and lift.  here are some pics http://photoshare.shaw.ca/view.php?VEID=10198_rvBOGN1133954915bxfDtE&mesg=1
I dont know why, but i think it is gonna be a hell of bandsawmill 8)
Bravissimo
Tox
Toxedo
Why walk when you can fly

wiam

freddycougar,  the link would not work.  Could you post your pictures here?

Will

freddycougar

:P hi ... thanks all for the comments.. i have pics in the members gallery.. i made some more parts today....http://photoshare.shaw.ca/view.php?FEID=10198_jOrkra1133998918kQrczz&mesg=1
thanks
freddy

Lost Pines

Welcome,

I am also collecting parts to build a bandsaw mill.
Are you using a flow control valve for speed control on you hyd. drive?
You should be able to use a flow control valve in forward direction and
not in the reverse. They make several kinds. One kind has adajustable
flow in one direction and full flow in other.

Leland
Leland

D._Frederick

freddycougar,

I am very impressed with your workmanship and the design of the mill you are building. The only thing that does not look very good to me is you guide design, using small ball bearing generally cause problems. Being small in diameter, they don't like to turn, and if you have a blade lube system water likes to get in them. Most mills use roller guides have a diameter of 2 1/2 to 3 inches and have a flange as a blade backup. Check pictures of COOKs SAW to get an idea of proven design.

You show a picture of of a chain driven shaft with 2 rubber wheels,  how is your sawmill going to use them?

freddycougar

:P  leland i am using a flow control on the feed, it is a pressure compinsated type..slow forward and fast reverse..d-frederick  the rubber wheels press against the the  frame. whitch inturn  propels the saw head .. turn the wheel and it pushes the sawhead down the beam. that is the feed  instead of chain or cable makes it easy to add lenth..ps i was not too sure about the guides either.. just have to try it ...easy to modify if thay fail to quickly i would like opinions on a lube system. oil mix or water ect..
freddy

highpockets

I tried to control my feed with a flow control valve. It was one of those $12.00 jobs from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company or Surplus Center. What I found was that when I got the flow pinched down to the proper folw on the motor, the extra flow from the pump was causing some higher pressures.  I am using an 8 circuit Prince valve body with a master pressure relief built into the body.  I normally keep this relief valve set at some 1200 lbs needed on the load loader.  When I pinch the flow down on the feed motor, it has a tendency to load up the hyd motor too much.

I figured the solution was to put a adjustable relief valve on the feeder forward circuit with the flow control valve. Then when I pinched down on the flow, the extra flow would be deverter to the tank.  What I discovered was that there was a point where the motor did not get enough flow to operate. In other words, (my thinking) the motor has a stall r.p.m. caused be internal friction which is about 45 r.p.m.  The motor I am using is rated at 295 r.p.m. at 16 gal.  Since the feed pressure is only about 250 lbs, I figured I could get close with the flow control, and pressure valve.  I added a throttle control cable to my hyd pump engine and also built an adjustable stop for presetting the Prince valve. It works pretty good.  I'll try some photos again.
Louisiana Country boy

freddycougar

:P high pockets. your thinking is correct.. but u need a pressure reducing valve and then a simple restriction will slow dow the flow..that is what i use.. i too  would like to see your pics
freddy

highpockets

Freddy
First off, I went the article concerning (xat.com) and reducing the photo sizes.  I use ACDsee as a jpg viewer and can resize, etc.  My problem is when I get into the forum and go to MY Gallary, it states No image to display.  I do not see any button, etc to allow me to upload. 

I agree with the comment about the pressure reducing valve.  My comment (I figured the solution was to put a adjustable relief valve on the feeder forward circuit with the flow control valve. ) was a pressure reducing valve.   

My feed motor is a Vickers (Surplus Center) 9-2764D which is a 11.3 C.I.D. motor giving 295 r.p.m. at 15 gal/min.  My pump is a Ghar-Lynn 101-1005 with 0.258 c.i.d. rated at about 4 gal/min at 3,500 r.p.m.  In checking this out, I put a tach on the motor.  With the pump running at 3500 ???  wide open I get about 84 r.p.m. on the motor.  With the engine slowed to some 1800 r.p.m I am getting about 42 r.p.m. on the motor. 

Now remember I'm just an old country boy and something may be missing here.  Based on the motor turning 42 r.p.m. with a 2.5" sprocket, I am moving the head at about 27.48 ft/min.  At full engine speed this would be some 54 ft/min.   When I added the flow control valve, I guess I may have pinched it down to a motor flow of maybe 1 g.p.m.   Although I can handle the excess pressure with the adjustable pressure relief valve, I suspect that the motor is on it's lower range of operating flow. 

I am strongly thinking about putting a 2:1 reduction chain and spocket drive on the motor.  This would let me run at about 12.5 ft/min with the engine at 1800 r.p.m.  When I start returning the sawhead, I  can speed the engine to 3500 r.p.m. and still return at 27.48 ft/min. 

Louisiana Country boy

Modat22

Highpockets, Your not running a 2 stage pump are you? I know a guy that tried replacing a pump on his tractor and unknowingly put a 2 stage on there. When the pump got loaded it the pump would shift down to low volume high pressure mode like a log splitter.
remember man that thy are dust.

DanG

Highpockets, on your Gallery page, near the top, is a list of links in blue.  One of them is "Upload File".  Poke dat and a group of browse buttons will appear.  Stab one of those to select the photo in your computer to upload to your FF Gallery.  You can do up to 5 pics at a time. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

freddycougar

:P  hi pockets... i am thinking of a 2 speed reduction. for the feed also.. reduction in forward and direct in reverse.. i have more thought to this item  as i want to use a sprag bearing to lock the sprockets in reverse...
freddy

highpockets

freddy,
I hadn't thought of a sprag or over running clutch and I have 4 of them. As a matter of fact someone on the Practical Machinist Forum was looking on one and I just took photos of what I had.  You can see them on my gallery.  If you are interested please let me know at ashuford@cp--tel.net

Modat22,
No, I am running a single stage pump.

Dang,
Thanks, I am getting there.  I have three to my gallery. 
Louisiana Country boy

highpockets

NOTE CORRECTION ON EMAIL ADDRESS thats ashuford@cp-tel.net   
Louisiana Country boy

Fla._Deadheader

Highpockets
Just a heads-up, but, posting your address,e-mail and phone number is not a great idea. Someone could pick it up and make life miserable.

Instead, click on the members name you want to deal with. That opens a window where you have one on one contact, and privacy. That is the best way to contact others.   Just thought you might not be aware of this feature.  ;) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

jpad_mi

Here's another option:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005120818033906&item=9-039&catname=hydraulic

The valve has a large range of adjustment which allows precise carriage speed adjustment, it passes excess flow back to the tank so there is no pressure buildup in the circuit,  and there is full flow in reverse regardless of the forward flow setting (full speed gig-back). The only drawback is the relatively high price.
Jeff P. in Michigan

Jeff

A note on the photos, we no longer allow photos to be posted here from other offsite galleries such as photo bucket due to thew fact that they get deleted and all of the sudden our forestry forum content is rendered eiither defective or useless if based around those photos posted on a remote site.  jpeg or .jpg files are the only kind of photo the galley accepts.  There is plenty of help here for folks that want to share photos. I would be willing to bet it is in the hundreds of times help has been posted. 

If you are trying to use jpgs and you think its not allowed, its because you are trying to attanch a photo to the facility for attaching documents thats a common mistake.  When referring to photos, please take the time to learn how to use your forestry forum gallery like so many other members have to the tune of over 15,000 photos.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!