iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Guess who I saw at Peterson demo days at LogRite (merged threads)

Started by Pete J, December 18, 2005, 03:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete J

Before I start a post in the sawmilling section. I figured I'd start here and show you what the Captain had in mind for the Peterson WPF at the demo day. I'll follow up with a show and tell on how he took these baby's apart. Fancy looking Log Scale you got there Captain. Where'd ya get it?

Here he is looking at the baby end. How many BF in that one?

This is the business end! Think that Peterson is gonna run scared? Nope!

Pete J

Nobody special except for some of these fine lookin' folks! 8) 8) 8)

From left to right. FF members:

Ryan 'Weldrite', Kevin's dad 'Homer', Kevin 'Neslrite' and Tammy 'Tamiam'

Pete J

These should show up in order. Let's watch the Captain at work taking this stick apart.

Actually, he got tired halfway through and I had to make some of the sawdust myself. There is no proof because I was also the cameraman. I must say, running that Peterson was nice! I'd like to get one myself some day.

Captain and his wife Loraine taking the bark off.

Taking the opening cut to see what's inside.

Buzzing right through.

Need a break yet Captain?

I can see the finish line!

Not much left for the burn pile!

Kevin and Tammy checking out the finished goods.
Not bad for one stick. The second one is already loaded in place.
Hey Captain! Get back to work now!

sprucebunny

Great pictures , Pete. Thanks  8)

Which variety of big stick is it ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Pete J

The one in the photos was cottonwood. The smell was not pleasant! The red oak that we did later in the day was better on the nose and a nice rich color too.

333_okh

Ga_Boy

333 OKH,

That mill is a Peterson WPF 8" Swing Blade, also know as a "Swinger".

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Fred

Was that log scaled with a logrite scale? I am fixin to order me one of those scales. I like my cant hook very much.
                                             Fred :)
Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

sawguy21

Quote from: LogRite on December 18, 2005, 05:21:02 PM
The one in the photos was cottonwood. The smell was not pleasant! The red oak that we did later in the day was better on the nose and a nice rich color too.
What would you do with cottonwood besides burn it with lots of diesel? It does stink and is awfully heavy, probably 98% water.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Riles

According to my dendro professor, cottonwood is the pulpwood of choice for fine papers.

And he did point out the stench as one of the identifying characteristics.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Kirk_Allen

I cut a lot of cotton wood into construction lumber.  Once its dry its lighter than pine and stronger than most hardwoods. 

I recently built a 20' triple 2x10 header to replace the rotten one in our barn.  I was able to put it up by myself.  Light and Strong! 

Part_Timer

Looks like a real good time.

Thanks for the pics
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Captain

Now Pete, where's the one we did next??

Captain

Coon

Nah!!! I don't think the Peterson will run away scared.  More like he'll run around chewing through the log like a beaver on speed. ;D :o 8)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

maple flats

logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Coon

Thems some dandy boards there.  Gonna be some nice strong boards. :)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

DanG

I understand that cottonwood is the wood of choice for horse stalls, because horses won't chew on it.

Nice logs, nice job! 8)  Look's like y'all had a great time!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

I gotta hand it to you.  It takes a strong constitution to work in weather like that.

sawguy21

Quote from: Tom on December 18, 2005, 08:57:00 PM
I gotta hand it to you.  It takes a strong constitution to work in weather like that.
Tom, that looks like a fine day to be working outside. Can't see their breath and no frost on the stubble ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Pete J

Quote from: Fred on December 18, 2005, 06:17:29 PM
Was that log scaled with a logrite scale? I am fixin to order me one of those scales. I like my cant hook very much.
                                             Fred :)

Yep, that's our new Log Scale with the handle. Captain chose the International scale, but we also have Scribner and Doyle scales too.

Fred

Yea I just ordered a scribner a little while ago.
                                       Ferd
Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

Murf

Quote from: Tom on December 18, 2005, 08:57:00 PM

It's ta' other way 'round there Tom, in weather like dat ya' gots ta keep movin half-way quick or ya' git chilly right through ta yer _________ ..............   ::)   ya' git cold.  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Thank You Sponsors!