iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Hydro-Ax Shears, 611 EX in northern hardwoods thinning.

~Ron

Jeff

Is that ours Ron? Maybe not, I thought Billsby's has a saw head. You say thats a shear.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

No, That one's Rothig Forest Products working on the Dahlgren Sale across from the Timbers Resturant on H-115 northwest of Cadillac. I think I gave the better photos of yours along with your survived skidder (the stuck in the wetlands photo on the forum) to the landowner.  

Landowners like to have photos of their land management activities, especially those that don't get to see the action first hand.

You should have some large oak to saw from the Austin Sale just purchased. I'll get some photos there.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Barko 885 with sawhead thinning in oak

~Ron

Ron Scott

Timbco T 415-D;  tracked feller buncher Thinning in red pine.

~Ron

Corley5

Sidell Forest Products used a similar Timbco, maybe the same model, equipped with a saw head on an aspen, soft maple clearcut chip harvest on Grandma's a couple years ago.  Very impressive machine to watch in operation 8).  The operator kept two BIG John Deere grapple skidders busy and never waiting ;D.  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Scott

This was a new machine, just 6 months old. It was producing 25 + cords/day in the red pine. Its saw head can handle 24" oak trees. Machine is owned by Ellias Hilliard who works for ADJ Forest Products, but was working for Jason Lutke at the time, producing for Pine Tech, Inc.

It was down for awhile one day after a heavy snow storm when the encoder on the computer was acting up and it wouldn't function. Weather related I guess, but impressive.
~Ron

Ron Scott

John Deere DC-70D Feller Buncher on Tracks. Older model working in red pine thinning.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Sawyer with Stihl Chain Saw. Thinning in red pine.

~Ron

Tom

I've heard snowbird farmers talking about cutting their trees in the winter like this picture shows.  Then they say they go back in the spring and cut the 10 or 12 foot butt cut.  :D

Ron Scott

Tom,
That's after they shovel out the power poles and power lines.  ;)
~Ron

Ron Scott

Sawyer with 2 "Huskies" harvesting Oak logs.

~Ron

Gordon

Ron Scott

Valmet 546 Feller-Buncher. Works well in pine.

~Ron

Frank_Pender

Gordon, I sure hope you don't over load the tractor for pulling. 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Gordon

Hay Frank, you that that Mobile Dimension mill you have could handle a log that big? :D

Little twigs like that come in handy to put in the soft areas of the skidding trails. Waste not what not.

Gordon

Frank_Pender

They work great, also for bar ditching.  :D:D
Frank Pender

Ron Scott

Valment 546 Forwarder.
Working in a red pine thinning. A good system with the 546 Feller/Buncher of previous photo.

~Ron

Kevin

Old model Canadian Feller Forwarder Buncher Hauler Stacker Harvester

Tom

I have one that looks a lot like that one, Kevin.  An older model but it still works pretty good.  I've been thinking about retiring it to the house, the new models are too quick. :-/

Ron Scott

Kevin,

Excellent picture. It's hard to find a chain saw on some of the jobs here anymore. I sure endorse them for still doing some of the better quality work.

How about expaining some of your "colorful" clothing and its purpose, i.e. the Kevlar boots etc.  
~Ron

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Ron,
I wouldn`t consider operating a chainsaw without every available safety device.
I wear chainsaw protective boots, chaps, gloves and hardhat when operating any chainsaw.
I try to wear bright colored clothing so other people that I may be working with can see me from a distance.
The work as you know is dangerous enough without taking unnecessary risks.
When I get tired I quit and go back another day or put the chainsaw away and do something else.
I think if we keep informing people of the dangers involved we`ll get a few to buy the stuff and wear it.
If a few think it`s too costly, I say ... try having an accident !

Jeff, I knew you would spot that sooner or later, that was for the photo opp.  :)

woodmills1

right on with the woods work be careful info.  i go into the woods fresh and rested, wear orange hard hat and protective shirt.  no drinking the night before.  best advice might be to think and plan.  trees come down fast and hard and are not forgiving.  also if something doesn't feel safe it probably isn't.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Cedar Eater

Hey Kevin, I've been looking for boots that have kevlar, steel toes and paks. I can find steel-toed paks, but not with kevlar. Do they have anything like that in your neck of the woods?
Cedar Eater

Thank You Sponsors!