iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's wrong with this picture?

Started by woodbowl, April 24, 2006, 10:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

Lifes lessons can be very valuable, if you survive them.  Match cuting like this is all but disappeared in my part of the world, to many amateurs were hurting or killing themselves trying it.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

woodbowl

They did it again today.  :D  They got the wedge right, the back cut right, but it leaned back anyway. Had to get a front end loader to free up the saw.

I'm not one to talk, it's just starting to get funny. I've done the same thing in the past and I'm sure most of you have too. I've got one more day of sawing there and it's off to my next job.

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Back40x2

A friend of mine works for a tree service company here in Maine.  Lucas tree.  That is how they train there people to cut as well.  It seems to me like it stablizes the tree if you are unsure on which way you think it might fall.  The top cut is last.  Once you meet in the middle the tree is still stabil and not going to fall as with a notch cut.  Just push where you want it to go and it seems to go.  It really does work well. 

To each is own I guess!
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

Dale Hatfield

Please Dont use this method to fell trees.
Its really  hard on the operator and the saw.
I wouldnt want to drive up under that sucker with a  tractor to fetch his saw.
A few mins to look up the tree and figger if its leaning foward or back.
a open face notch. a hinge and a felling wedge or 3 is all that it takes. to put em where ya want.

Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

tcsmpsi

His directional cut should have been deeper into the tree and more open.
In that particular cut/tree, he should have come up above the trunk spread more for a more controllable felling cut.

Still though, even if there's just a slight chance it might fell and get only hung in other trees, I keep 150' of 10,000 lb test rope and a comealong and take the time to help it.  I found it saves time in the long run.  And is a WHOLE lot better on my nerves.   ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

treecyclers

Felling trees is something like Darwinism.
Ever notice that there are so very few old stupid ones?
Most of the dummies have an experience that (hopefully) motivates them to get out of that particular occupation, or find someone to teach them properly ho to drop trees.
Like the thread on barber chairs that I found so wonderfully educational, this one is likewise extremely helpful too.
I pray that nobody gets hurt or perished working with the person dropping trees making cuts like the one pictured above.
Thankfully, most of my drops are trees that are either short, or are already down and all I have to do is buck them to length.
8)
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Mooseherder

Reminds me of my neighbor sawing some downed trees after the storm while his wife and mother are watching. I have dropped less than 20 trees and have alot to learn but couldn't take it any longer because he was scaring me to death with his inexperience. He had rented a Chainsaw (Way too big for him!) was cutting with one hand because his other arm was tired., cutting with his foot within inches of the chain. Asked him if I could help, which he gladly accepted. I started cutting,  quickly learned he had been cutting as much of the ground as the tree and to top it off. No bar oil was left in the tank.  Tried to sharpen his blade but it was pretty much ruined. Finished his job with my Home depot special. ::)

thecfarm

If I would of left a stump like that,my Father would of kicked me in the ..... and if he saw me cut it down like that he would of kicked me in the .....
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rebocardo

woodhick

Looks to me like he was just trying to  load it on the mill as he cut it. ;D
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Thank You Sponsors!