iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Catfish1

Started by ARKANSAWYER, March 24, 2011, 09:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

Now I spend alot of hours sawing lumber and talking about it.  When I am not sawing then I am often building things with it.  I like turkey hunting, deer hunting and fishing the rest of the time as well as bust a few tree rats for LBJ.  But what I really like to do next to sawing is catfishing.
  I can sit out there for hours on end drowing bait and just a waiting.  It is how I relax and have fun.  I fish a few catfish tournaments every year and even have won a few.  I would really like to be able to afford to fish the King Kat Tournys.  So what little time I have to play on the computer if I am not on here or one other place I like to look at the Catfish1 website.  It has State Fourms where we can chat about catfishing and have get togethers plus state catfish tournaments.
  I was just wondering if there were any other FF members who catfish much or get on Catfish1?
  http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forum.php?referrerid=7322 
  I was going to post a photo of a catfish but I could not get the photo gallery to load.  Maybe tomorrow I can get the photo to post.
ARKANSAWYER

Chris Burchfield

My youngest son Ryan stocked his little pond with blue channel cat.  They should be about right size now @ two and some three you.  He stocked it on the 23 acres where he set his house last year.  Gdaughter should be about the right age to really like catching them.  She caught a few large mouth bass last year @ SIL's pond and enjoyed it.  I like catching them and eating them.  I fry's whole, strip the dorsal and under fins and eat it like corn on the cob.  I like the crunchy tail too.  There are some large lakes south of Memphis in Mississippi that have catfish.  Takes too long to get there and back, buy out of state lic and really an inconvenience.  Tennessee river is suppose to have some but that's a bit far also.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Autocar

I dug my fishing gear out today even though it was only 39 degrees. I hope to try it next week on the St.Marys river channel and blue cat
Bill

northwoods1

Quote from: Autocar on March 25, 2011, 07:09:21 PM
I dug my fishing gear out today even though it was only 39 degrees. I hope to try it next week on the St.Marys river channel and blue cat

How do you cook em? If you get any that is? :) I guess it is Friday tonight and I have fish fries on my mind, but no fish :'( :'(

Autocar

I salt and pepper them and roll them in flour and fry them in a skillet, but at 18 degrees this morning there have to wait a few days  :D
Bill

ARKANSAWYER

This is a little 20lb blue cat I caught a couple of years ago.  I do not have to many photos as I often fish at night and alone with just LBJ and she can not run the camera.  It was warming up here but then it turned cold the last few days.  The pond out front of the house if full of catfish and the grandkids catch them or we do when we want fresh fish.
  A bunch of us on Catfish1 are planning a get together the weekend of April 16th and there is a all night catfish tournament just up river.  I am going to try to close the mill at noon on Friday and get down to fish 7pm Friday night to 7am Sat morning.  After working so hard and doing the WM show at the mill I will need a good break.  I may set my rods out and anchor out of barge traffic and take a nap in the bottom of the boat.  It may take close to 100lbs to win the tournament.
ARKANSAWYER

Tom

Be careful with your nap.   After working a 30+ hr. day, a friend and I went speckled perch fishing, took a nap at about 9am and woke up 5 miles away, at the other end of the lake, just at dark, bobbing in the grass and lily pads of the shallows.   If you want to feel confusion, try that one time. :D

If you're around barges, put up a big flag. :)

WH_Conley

Might want to think about the barge traffic. I had an uncle that had a run in with a barge. I don't have the uncle any more. I have worked on the river, the smaller work flats don't necessarily stay in the normal shipping lanes.
Bill

Kansas

I got a 4 1/2 acre pond in front of the house, that was put in in 2009. Last year I stocked it with some catfish, along with bass and bluegill. I figure next year they ought to be big enough. I know some survived because last fall I tossed some catfish food out there. They went right after it.

ARKANSAWYER

I will leave my light on and will be out of the way.  Most of the time you can hear the barges coming from a long ways off.  Also they have a large spot light that they like to shine all over the place and blind people out fishing.  When they are going  up stream they really throw a wake.
  I put little bells on my rod tips and sometimes they will be ringing from the wake of the barge.  Some times I beach the boat on a sandbar and get out the Coleman stove and make a pot of coffee.  It just does not get any better then that.
  The problem is I found the place where the Corp piles up drift wood that gets piled up behind the locks & dams.  Now when I go home I have my boat full of driftwood.  Sometimes I get some pretty cool stuff and I have gotten wood from Colorado by way of the river.
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

Well I guess there are not any other members of the BOC and are on Catfish1 that are FF members as well.  I just thought it would be neat if there was some. 
  The 15th and 16th I am fishing a all night tournament and Saturday night a bunch of us are camping at Piney Bay just off the river.  It is like a Piggy Roast for catfishermen.  I have a guy I met on Catfish1 who is going to fish with me so I hope to get some good photos of the fish and I will post them when I get back.
ARKANSAWYER

Don K

Sometimes I go on BOC and Catfish1 to see what is going on in my area. I don't have a boat right now so that hobby has slipped down a few notches. If I get another boat i will be tightlining and some soaplines.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

ARKANSAWYER

Don how far are you from Lake Wheeler?  I had a buddy out there the last two weekends and he has landed a 74lbder and a 85 lbder.  I need to get out that way and fish that hole.  His wife got a 38 lbder and they twice broke off.  This last weekend he put on 100lb braid line to see if he could horse them out of the hole.  Said that 65lb line was not getting the job done.   :o  You can see the fish on the Arkansas state thread New personal best.
  So if I can ever get out that way would you mind helping me with the net?
ARKANSAWYER

DanG

I went over and signed up on that site last night after seeing this thread.  Looks interesting but I haven't had a chance to look around much.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ARKANSAWYER

That's good Dan.  Florida is one of them states that you think would have a very active board but it is one of the slow ones.  Arizona is a state that you would not think would have much going on but they are one of the most active.   ???  My buddy did not bust the 100lb mark yet but still did very well at Wheeler.  I look at some of the other States to see what they are catching.  There are alot of large catfish coming out of the waters still and lots of people are taking photos and turning them back into the water.  I would like to take a few weeks off and fish the Mississippi River pretty hard to see how big a fish I could land.  I have been working for years to bust the 90lb mark for a catfish.  There was a lady who caught a 100+lb cat here in Arkansas that had seven hooks in it's mouth. :o
  Is your handle DanG on Catfish1? 
ARKANSAWYER

Chris Burchfield

Arky, I've been across the Mississippi @ Memphis a few hundred times and have spent a good bit of time on both banks.  I've seen several sizes of pleasure and fishing boats out there going up or down river.  None of them would or could have enticed me out onto the river.  I've seen trees some with limbs some without floating down the river, bigger than the PWC some have been out in.  I'd have no problem being out there on a barge.  I heard a man was blown off a barge the other night during that bad storm that came through.  He was rescued.  I know that river has claimed many lives and for some never given even their bodies back.  Be safe.

Autocar

Monday morning it was lighting and rainning cats and dogs so I went to the river and sat under the bridge . Lost two hooks and sinkers and at 10:30 I went home ,just to cold here yet fot river fishing.
Bill

ARKANSAWYER

Chris when I was about 6 or 7 I was spending the summer with my Grand Parents in Mississippi.  GrandPa did not have a boat so we went out to the barn and pulled 6 boards off the side.  The barn was made of cypress and some of the boards were 3 ft wide.  In about 4 hours we had a trough that he called a boat.  A bit of pitch and a borrowed 5hp Johnson with a home made paddle we went fishing.  We went out into the Mississippi River in that rig and run troutlines and jugs for about 3 days and put close to 500 lbs of fish in the freezer.  Ignorance is bliss!  ;D  It is men like him who built this country because no one was telling them they could not do it.
  I have bobbed my boat in the Big Muddy a few times and on the Arkansas at flood stage.  I am in more danger in the bath tub then out on the river.  And if I am to die and can not be at the controls of a sawmill then may the Good Lord allow me to be on the river with a pole in my hand or in the woods with a gun.
  I have been trying to bust the 90 lb mark on cats for several years now.  Catfishing is a most relaxing way to spend the day while waiting on a small freshwater whale to eat your bait.  Besides they eat good and are easy to clean and do not have many bones.  There is nothing like setting out some jugs at dark and heading down stream to a sand bar and setting up the coleman stove and making a pot of coffee and waiting for the jugs to float down.  Then going out and finding them to see what you have caught.  My sons will look back on those times just like I look back on that trough that GrandPa and I made and caught all those fish.  My son still tells me he is sorry for the time he knocked the huge flathead off my line because he forgot to take the cover off the tip of the gaff and that was 15 years ago.  Soon my grandsons will be big enough to float the rivers with me and be catching fish that weigh more then they do.
  Do us all a favor and take a kid fishing.  Catfish are easy to catch in most places and kids like nothing more then spending time with you if they are getting some bites.  From a mud bank with a cane pole to a high dollar boat with the finest tackle it makes no difference to them just spending time and catching fish does.  They may tell you how board they are or how they hate it but they will remember it either way.
ARKANSAWYER

DanG

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on April 07, 2011, 08:01:32 AM
  That's good Dan.  Florida is one of them states that you think would have a very active board but it is one of the slow ones.  Arizona is a state that you would not think would have much going on but they are one of the most active.   ???   Is your handle DanG on Catfish1? 

Yeah I signed on as DanG there too.  I guess the Arizona section is active because all they can do is set around and talk about it, eh?  Of course I only spent about a week there one day, so they might have some desert catfish I don't know about. ;D :D :D

I'm just getting into intentional catfish fishing, though I've caught a bunch of them fishing for other species.  I'm trying to get the pontoon boat rigged out for night fishing.  Got some lights to mount and got an engine and Chevy alternator to charge up the batteries with.  I've done a little jug fishing on Lake Seminole on another feller's boat and liked it a bunch.  It will be really fun with all the extra space on the pontoon. ;D

Though I live right next to a great flathead river, I have little interest in catching great big fish.  I fished salt water for so long, a big fish just seems like a bunch of work.  Give me a box full of 3-pounders any day!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CX3

arkansawyer looks like you and me have the same favorite hobby.  Chasing the big blues!

I make several trips a year up to the missouri river and fish.  We usually do pretty good up there with a few fish in the 30+ range.  I would love to hook up and go with you sometime or you could go with me.  I dont think were too far apart Im south of springfield about 10 miles. 
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

ARKANSAWYER

That would be great.  My son lives in Sparta and I have a daughters in Ozark.  They all work in Springfield.
  Maybe this summer we can get together and fish Bull Shoals.  I pull some pretty good ones out of there.  I am headed down to the Arkansas River this weekend to fish a tournament.  Weather looks good and we will get some rain in OK tomorrow so that water will be coming down the river by weekend.  Flow is good for the big cats to come up to the dams to chase skips.
  Do you get on Catfish1?  I look at the MO thread some since it is so close and some of the guys fish on the border lakes and I use the info.
ARKANSAWYER

CX3

Thats funny, I live in ozark and we just bought some land in sparta.  We are moving there in a month.  I would love to go to bull shoals and fish sometime.  Lets plan a trip.  I have a great place to catch some shad here on the finley river, get a few mooneyes too once in a while
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

ARKANSAWYER

My son lived on the Finley River till the tornado on New Years Day blew his house away and just about got his wife and kid.  He has lived there for years. 
  The last few years the Bull has been so high you could not find fish and this year it is low.  It will be sometime in May before I can get to the lake.  I have a license that allows me to fish the MO side of the Bull like up around Pontiac MO or Theodosia MO.  there are some good flatheads up in that area of the lake.
  There are several people from Nixa MO on Catfish1 on the MO State section.
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

OFFSITE PHOTOS NOT ALLOWED

This is a photo of my son and his catfish that was the first catfish weighed in the Tournament.  SeaArk put it on for owners and I did not think I was going to get to go but a customer of mine gave me the money to go and said that if I won the new boat he got a set of keys and use it when ever he needed it.  No problem but I did not win it.   Son and I had a great time but finished out of the money and did not get the new boat.
 There are some other photos on the facebook page for SeaArk Boats.
ARKANSAWYER

Chris Burchfield

I'm signed up on Catfish1.  Had to call Arky and get his board name over there as a reference to register.  I know this is a little leading and could say guess what his name is over there, but it would not be polite for me to say as I had to call to get it.  They don't know his real name is Arkansayer.   :D :D :D

GeneH

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on April 09, 2011, 08:09:35 AM
  Chris when I was about 6 or 7 I was spending the summer with my Grand Parents in Mississippi.  GrandPa did not have a boat so we went out to the barn and pulled 6 boards off the side.  The barn was made of cypress and some of the boards were 3 ft wide.  In about 4 hours we had a trough that he called a boat.  A bit of pitch and a borrowed 5hp Johnson with a home made paddle we went fishing.  We went out into the Mississippi River in that rig and run troutlines and jugs for about 3 days and put close to 500 lbs of fish in the freezer.  Ignorance is bliss!  ;D  It is men like him who built this country because no one was telling them they could not do it.
  I have bobbed my boat in the Big Muddy a few times and on the Arkansas at flood stage.  I am in more danger in the bath tub then out on the river.  And if I am to die and can not be at the controls of a sawmill then may the Good Lord allow me to be on the river with a pole in my hand or in the woods with a gun.
  I have been trying to bust the 90 lb mark on cats for several years now.  Catfishing is a most relaxing way to spend the day while waiting on a small freshwater whale to eat your bait.  Besides they eat good and are easy to clean and do not have many bones.  There is nothing like setting out some jugs at dark and heading down stream to a sand bar and setting up the coleman stove and making a pot of coffee and waiting for the jugs to float down.  Then going out and finding them to see what you have caught.  My sons will look back on those times just like I look back on that trough that GrandPa and I made and caught all those fish.  My son still tells me he is sorry for the time he knocked the huge flathead off my line because he forgot to take the cover off the tip of the gaff and that was 15 years ago.  Soon my grandsons will be big enough to float the rivers with me and be catching fish that weigh more then they do.
  Do us all a favor and take a kid fishing.  Catfish are easy to catch in most places and kids like nothing more then spending time with you if they are getting some bites.  From a mud bank with a cane pole to a high dollar boat with the finest tackle it makes no difference to them just spending time and catching fish does.  They may tell you how board they are or how they hate it but they will remember it either way.
This story needs to be in Field & Stream!

Thank You Sponsors!