iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sales tax on sawmill purchase

Started by pnyberg, September 14, 2009, 05:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnyberg

As I've mentioned a couple of times, I've been giving some serious consideration to buying a sawmill, and starting a portable custom sawing business.  The probability of my doing this has been climbing steadily, and has reached the point where I called Wood-Mizer this morning to ask a couple of preliminary logistical questions. 

Mostly, I was wondering about lead-time.  I've never pulled a trailer that weighed more than a few hundred pounds, and I'd really like to avoid having my first experience being a long drive across New York state in the dead of winter.  It seems that Hannibal gets shipments from Indianapolis fairly frequently, to the lead time is likely to be weeks, not months.

But in the course of the very brief conversation I had with Charlie, I got an ear-full having something to do with sales tax.  I think the point was if they delivered the mill to me in Connecticut (which I didn't even know was an option), they would definitely charge me the Connecticut sales tax, but if I picked up the mill in Hannibal, they'd give me some paperwork, and send me on my way, and whatever happens after that is between me and the state of Connecticut.  There was also some mention of tax numbers and tax exempt status that I didn't really follow.

I may have gotten the whole thing wrong, but my impression was that Charlie was doing a bit of a wink-wink, nudge-nudge routine, and trying to tell me without actually telling me that if I pick up the mill in Hannibal, I basically can get away without paying Connecticut sales tax.  This seems unlikely to me, especially since I'm pretty sure I'll have to register the "trailer" with the DMV.

What's other people's experience with this question?

Thanks,
    Peter
No longer milling

DR Buck

I think its dependent on your states tax laws.  Since I have an agriculture operation (farm) and my mill is consider part of my farm operation it as well as other farm equipment in VA is exempt from state sales tax.  I think I had to do a sales tax exempt form for PA when I picked up the mill.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

scsmith42

Peter, as Dr. Buck stated it depends upon your individual state. 

It also is determined by "what state the sale is made in".  If Woodmizer sells the sawmill delivered to your state, then most states consider the sale to have been made in your state, and sales tax must be collected.

If they sell it to an out of state purchaser in their state, then usually no sales tax is collected in either state.  That's one reason why internet sales have flourished.

Pulling a trailer is not a big deal and the mills are not that heavy.  There are several important things to check, including making sure that your tow vehicle is adequate for the load, that all brakes and lights are working properly, make sure that all of the tires are at maximum recommended inflation, and keep in mind that you will need to make "larger" turns from a turning radius perspective.

If you're comfortable with the drive, you shouldn't worry about towing.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Part_Timer

Yep  Indiana stuck me with sales tax and my mill was from New Zealand.  
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Gary_C

Yes, as others have said, it's a state thing and you should check your local sales tax laws. We also have a agricultural exemption from sales taxes but the trailer is another question that is not at all clear. If you have to license the trailer, and it is not clear in many states if you do, the state will require you to pay sales tax before licensing the mill.

However when I bought my Woodmizer, they gave me a separate bill of sale called a "certificate of origin" for the trailer option only and I paid sales tax on the trailer portion only and got a license for the mill. The state DMV does not know what a portable sawmill is anyway and they did not question the price. If they had questioned it, I would have claimed it was ag equipment but then you could not license it and would not be allowed on interstate highways and other major roads. But in some cases they do not even license boat trailers in this state.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

woodmills1

woodmizers trailer very well

yes, you get a ceritificate of origin and register on the trailer value, so sales tax would be small
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

nas

In Ontario and also in some states, a sawmill is a piece of equipment and not a trailer, therefore it doesn't need to be licensed.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

beenthere

pnyberg
Would be a good thing for you to find out more about your state tax laws.  ;) ;)

It's you that will be liable, if you get caught doing something to avoid paying taxes. Not someone else.

But you've heard about the options, which is good to know and to be fair with those who told you about them. :) :)
Might be that it isn't an option any more.  ;) ;) ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

When I got my LT40HDG, I had questions to!

Then, during a visit to the local DMV it was determined that in NY it is stated that "If the primary function of the unit is not as a trailer, it is not required to be licensed!"  As we all know, it is primarily a sawmill, not a trailer!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Mine is also considered "farm equipment".   Really no different than a hay bailer.  It has wheels, is towed, but isn't a trailer.

A talk with your DMV will clear up any questions.

We didn't pay sales taxes on parts from WM  until after Katrina when they put an established droppoint, store, outlet, or whatever it's called in Perkinston, Ms.  Now all parts are taxed.... :(
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

brdmkr

Quote from: DR_Buck on September 14, 2009, 05:46:31 PM
I think its dependent on your states tax laws.  Since I have an agriculture operation (farm) and my mill is consider part of my farm operation it as well as other farm equipment in VA is exempt from state sales tax.  I think I had to do a sales tax exempt form for PA when I picked up the mill.

Works the same way here.  You can buy ag equipment without paying sales tax.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

raycon

In CT if you don't register it no sales tax and it won't show up on your property taxes(On edit that is the wink-wink nod-nod part?).  Register it you get both property and sales tax.  Business  tax filing you get the equipment depreciation tax deduction. . An accountant with manufacturing clients/experience as his core business is a good friend to have.

I registered one mill. Have not registered the wood chipper,etc. . I forget how the law reads for CT but basically I needed to register my mill to trailer it in CT. DMV rules change and they are online so who knows definitely worth looking into. As for pulling the mill they are light. Every now and then I glance back just to see if its still there (compared to towing a skid steers & dump trailers).

Good luck.

Lot of stuff..

MartyParsons

Collection of sales tax is not the same as charging for sales tax. You are required to pay sales tax for every state. There are some state laws that you may be eligible for an exemption from sales tax. I always ask you to check with your accountant and see if you may be state tax exempt. There are times we do not collect sales tax due to delivery to a state, you are still required to pay or report your purchase to the department of revenue in the state you reside in. No one wants to pay sales tax, but that is why there are laws. In Pennsylvania there is a form REV 1220-a you may fill out and we will not collect the tax if this is signed.  Sawmills in PA are not exempt if you are a farmer. Some sawmills owners use the processing exemption. ( processing logs to lumber) Then they collect the sales tax on the lumber they produce.
This subject is touchy for most owners we talk to. We always try to do the best for you. I can not make you sales tax exempt. You need to have the info filled out on the form and that is all we need. If anything you purchase is not reported to the Dep of Rev you could be fined or worse. We are not required to send the form to the dept of revenue but must have it on file in case of an aduit.
I hope this helps. I am not picking sides just giving you information. I dont think anyone wants to hear this. Not even me.  ::)
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

DR Buck

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Cedarman

Part Timer,  I have not paid sales tax on any of the mills that we bought.  They are for production purposes therefore exempt.  But I am required to collect sales taxes from all sales unless to exempt purchasers.  It takes about 5 minutes to fill out the paper work at the end of each month for the sales tax.  It does take good record keeping of all sales and all taxes collected.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Part_Timer

Cedarman

I didn't have my LLC at the time I purchased the mill so no tax number to go with it.

now I have my LLC but I'm not as good at the paperwork as I should be. YUCK paperwork
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

bandmiller2

Pete,call the folks that milled for you and ask what they do.The states are professionals at fleecing us ,just give them the money and be done with it.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ellmoe

In Fla. if a sawmill buys used equipment from another mill, no sales tax. Buy the same equip. from a dealer or a manufacturer you must pay. ???

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Don K

I may be faced with a similar situation. If I go to GA and buy a mill they charge sales tax. 12 to 14 hundred. If they deliver to me it only cost 700. I get the trailer sales slip to take to the county courthouse. I haven't seen anybody else with a tag on a portable mill. I hear that if I buy a farm tag for my truck I don't have to tag the trailer. I've got a cousin that is a state trooper, I will talk to him.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

ErikC

I think the laws are more strict than some realize, but not always easily enforced, so we get lucky. In CA sales tax must be paid on all equipment, new or used unless there's an ag exemption. It is up to the purchaser to fess up and send in the money. Even online purchases. Hardly anyone does it however. The odds of getting caught would depend on what you are buying I guess, but it's something to consider.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

solidwoods

If your starting a business-  Get A CPA.
Ask the CPA.
Tax mistakes are extremely expensive for American Citizens (our govt. seems to have some sort of exemption)
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Thank You Sponsors!