iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

flail mower

Started by thecfarm, May 14, 2014, 06:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I bought what I hope will work good for me. As I say ask me in 3 years if it worked the way I hope it will.

I talk about clearing the grown up pasture. I cut my stumps down as low as I can and smooth out any rough parts. I've been mowing it with the cheapest push mower I can buy. If I get a year out of them,I've done well.I bet I am trying to mow an acre by hand.  ::)  I don't mow it as often as I should. Just don't have the time. No way would I take our lawn mower through that. Too many stumps,even though I cut them low. Some I can only get so low. This will go over the ones that are just about flush with the ground. I did one area yesterday,so much easier and quicker. I should be able to mow it when it needs it. The more I mow,the quicker it will come back into grass.We will also use it to mow the field and maybe the lawn. The lawn I could use a push mower on it,it's small,if we don't like the way it cuts or look. It's on the wife's tractor,30 hp. It is 61 inches wide.
Model ME155
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Does that flail drop down on wheels for depth of cut, or is it carried on the 3 pt? 
Will be interested to hear how it works for you. Maybe it will grind the stumps off?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

julio

Need to put air in that left rear tire
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

thecfarm

There is a roller for the depth,which is adjustable.I can also adjust the angle by the top link too. Not really made to grind stumps.   ;D  Kinda hard it. I have hit one, and rocks too all ready  ::). But the knifes are on kinda like a clevis. So when they hit something solid they kinda fold out of the way. Note the "kinda". Does not do it much good to kinda hit things.But at least it's not like a mower deck. Hit a stump and something might break.
Right tire is just about as low too. Wife has a head injury. She needs a soft ride. With the tires blown up to just about where they should be,she don't like the ride,it jares her head. I would rather buy tires more often than have her have the "spells" again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

caveman

I have one at work that we use for mowing the citrus grove and some other areas.  It does well but it takes most of a morning to change or sharpen all of the blades.  The blades on the Alamo branded mower that we use are L shaped and about 3" long.  They pivot out of the way when they strike an object.
Good luck,
Caveman
Caveman

21incher

Good luck with the mower. I hope it works out for you. You may want to look into a Michigan suspension seat for your wife. Much cheaper then tires and safer on hills.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Brad_S.

I have about 5 acres I used to mow with a 5' rotary bush-hog mower. I bought a 7' flail mower and love it! The finish is nicer and it doesn't windrow the clippings. I think you will be very happy with the mower once the grass gets re-established.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

thecfarm

Thanks for the tip on the MI seat. Never heard of one. I do remember being behind someone at a Tractor Supply and the seat came to almost $300.  :o  I betcha that was one.
Brad_S,how many hp is your tractor? I have a 40hp,but I'm on that alot and play in the woods. I did not want to take the winch off and on. Just like last night,I mowed for an hour with it.

BBTom

I run a Coroni flail from AgriSupply.com  They are made rather light weight but do a good job of mowing.  I have found less broadleaf weeds come back after mowing with a flail leaving a more grassy field.  I don't know if it is because of the way it shatters the stalk or the way it mulches with the debis.

We got it for mowing horse pastures but it also gets used for around crop fields and on trails.  I have almost retired the bush hog. I love using the flail for its speed and versatility. 

Hope yours gives you as much joy.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Brad_S.

Quote from: thecfarm on May 15, 2014, 08:34:20 AM
Brad_S,how many hp is your tractor?
I have a 46hp Kubota with about 39 rated at the pto. I am right on the cusp of being underpowered for that size unit...if I am in high grass, I have to crawl but on a normal mow of about 8" or less, I can move right along. Love that flail mower!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

jwilly3879

A friend of mine makes his own cutters from the heavy steel strapping used to secure bundles of lumber that are shipped on rail cars. He made a jig to bend them and drill the attachment hole.

Hilltop366

I'v got an old Mott 72" off set for a few years, it has the fine cut blades, I use it to cut most of the lawn, it works ok in shorter grass but in tall grass it just tangles up around the shaft. I break out the rock splitter... I mean the bush hog for the taller grass and rough stuff.

My tractor has a two speed pto, I can usually run it in the higher speed with an engine speed @ 1300 rpm to get a regular pto speed (540) without revving the engine a lot.

shinnlinger

this post reminded me that I have an old alamo flail out back that came with a tractor I bought 10 years ago that I have never used.

a few years back I flipped it over and realized it needed some teeth and such and even bought them but it never went further than that after I realized what a PITA it can be to change the blades.

However today, inspired by this forum, I dragged the  unit down to the barn and would not be denied!  I farted around with a few different socket extensions and some air ratchets and what not before I settled  into a system that worked pretty well.  I just came in from swapping around/replacing one of the 4 rows.  Back needed  a break from that but I bet I will be mowing next weekend with it.

My blades are short little L's with basically a chain link that bolts onto the shaft.  The fact that I only had to replace 4 of the  25 or so sets (I flipped the rest) tells me that they may do alright here in the granite state.

My 27 PTO hp tractor has a 1000 rpm setting.  Should I try it?

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Roger2561

Quote from: shinnlinger on May 18, 2014, 05:53:28 PM
this post reminded me that I have an old alamo flail out back that came with a tractor I bought 10 years ago that I have never used.

a few years back I flipped it over and realized it needed some teeth and such and even bought them but it never went further than that after I realized what a PITA it can be to change the blades.

However today, inspired by this forum, I dragged the  unit down to the barn and would not be denied!  I farted around with a few different socket extensions and some air ratchets and what not before I settled  into a system that worked pretty well.  I just came in from swapping around/replacing one of the 4 rows.  Back needed  a break from that but I bet I will be mowing next weekend with it.

My blades are short little L's with basically a chain link that bolts onto the shaft.  The fact that I only had to replace 4 of the  25 or so sets (I flipped the rest) tells me that they may do alright here in the granite state.

My 27 PTO hp tractor has a 1000 rpm setting.  Should I try it?

Dave

If your tractor has a 540 PTO I would try that before trying the 1000 PTO.  I think you'll see that with the 540 PTO, the drum to which the blades/chains are connected will spin plenty fast enough.  Also, if you haven't done it yet I would consider changing the gearbox oil before using it too much.  Or, at very least check it to be sure moisture hasn't found its way in.  Roger 
Roger

shinnlinger

Oil change and 540 test are a given, I am just curious if 1000 rpm is even worth a shot.  Roger, do you really live next door to me in Enfield?  I teach woodshop at Mascoma.

Dave
Shinnlinger

thecfarm

Mine is designed to run at 540rpm. Could you do a search and find out for sure. If it's not made to do 1000 rpm,you mighty blow the gear box.
I expect to change my knifes every year. Had to the same thing with blades on the mower,so I would expect the same thing.

Hilltop366

Dave, my tractor is rated @ 30.5 pto hp so not a big difference from yours. Mine works good on the 1000 rpm setting and running the engine @ 1300 rpm unless the grass is over a foot high then I switch to 540 rpm in order to get the engine rpm up. I don't seem to get a good cut on the lawn if I spin it slower it seem to like at least 400 rpm pto speed to do a good job cutting.

shinnlinger

How fast do you folks travel on the ground?  WIth my brush hog it seemed like higher rpms and lower ground speed are best.  I would actually put it it in highest gear in low range and set the throttle high in 540.

I am also wondering about how high to set the cut.  You can fiddle with the roller but it seems like the top link length would be the easiest way.  I will probably set it level at first and go from there.  I ripped a lot of rocks out of the ground the last few years when I had an excavator so I'm hoping it will pay off in easier mowing and looking forward to a better cut than the brush hog.

The second row took about 40 minutes to change now that I have the hang of it.  If I only have to mess with blades once a year I can live with that.

Dave
Shinnlinger

thecfarm

I really can't help ya,yet. I have mine tip back a liitle bit,with the top link. We played around some with it when the salemans was here.

Magicman

Whatever you do, avoid hitting those rocks that you seem to be famous for.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I'm a trying,I'm a trying.  ;D

Roger2561

Quote from: shinnlinger on May 18, 2014, 06:44:14 PM
Oil change and 540 test are a given, I am just curious if 1000 rpm is even worth a shot.  Roger, do you really live next door to me in Enfield?  I teach woodshop at Mascoma.

Dave

Dave, Yes.  I can see the middle and high schools from my house.  I graduated in 1980 (Gosh seems so long ago).  I believe you taught some of nephews in your shop.  As for the 1000rpm - give it shot but be careful.  It may not be engineered for that speed.  Roger
Roger

Roger2561

I think the ground speed would be determined by the type/thickness of what you're trying to cut.  I cut an  old, uncultivated field (hay has no redeeming value) but I'm rather picky when it comes to the finish product so I go slower than most people.  Plus, I cut somewhat close to the ground to give it the "lawn" look. 

I haven't changed nor sharpened my blades for the past few years.  Because I only mow one field (mine) and the grass is of lower quality, it cuts just fine (plus, it's a PITA).  Perhaps there will come a time when I will need to sharpen them but right now they cut just fine.  Roger
Roger

kevin19343

We have an old 72" Ford flail mower that still works great. I use it for clearing out areas on the farm where the pricker bushes and vines have invaded. The rotary mower always leaves big pieces of material on the ground that I have to re-cut several times. The flail mower rips the same stuff to shreds in one pass.

loggah

Flail mowers work great on rocky or uneven ground, years ago when i worked maintenance at waterville valley ski area, we used mott flail mowers to mow the slopes,on 4wd Oliver,and later 4wd Case tractors, over 400 acres of steep bony ground, you would replace a few knives each day ,but we figured  that was cheap. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Thank You Sponsors!