iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Removing water from oil..

Started by chain, November 13, 2013, 07:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

I have a farm utility tractor with hydraulic lift the oil is milky, obviously mixed with water. Drained transmission , gear housings, etc. oil mixed again with water. Finally found the water intrusion, the tractor floor plate bolts were allowing rainwater to seep in.

The question is  as I have about 20 gallons of 'milky oil' stored in five gallon containers is there a filtering system that could remove water from the oil?

Dave Shepard

There are systems that have two mesh filter canisters and a pump designed to do just that. I don't know where you would find one to use, and I wouldn't want to buy one.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

Probably cheapest to just replace the oil.
Maybe find a farmer that is changing old hydraulic oil for new and then use the old oil to run through the system for a short period, as likely there will still be some water/oil remaining in the system.
Then at some point in time, replace the old oil with new oil.

Here are several methods discussed, one of which is just heating the oil and "boiling" off the water.
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/503/removing-water-in-oil
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

RayMO

I wonder if you could freeze the water to seperate from oil ???
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

Tree Killer

Probably it wood be best to replace the oil, but I wonder if you let it sit and the water wood settle to the bottom ? Then u could pour the oil off the top.

redprospector

Your best bet to salvage the oil is what Tree Killer said.
Let it sit (this may take quite some time), the water and oil will separate.
It's best to drain the water off the bottom, when oil comes out, you're good. Filter it, strain it, or something before you put it back in a hydraulic system.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

luvmexfood

I had a similar problem and replaced the oil. Had it setting in an old shed and looked at it about 2 weeks later and the hyd oil looked new. Still not going to use it.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

ga jones

The water will seperate from the oil. The oil is Lighter than water. The water will be on the bottom. You need to put it in something with a bottom drain. Let it sit a week or two then drain off the water until the oil flows.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

chain

The oil appears homogenized like a cream. I suppose the pressure, heat, and circulation throughout the tractor [valves & pumps] did the mixing. But this tractor sets up for long periods especially in winter.

Was thinking, freezing temps could solidify the water at the bottom of waste-oil buckets, then drain oil off top?

dboyt

Even if it is milky, it will eventually separate out.  A couple of years ago, I had a hydraulic pump split apart because the water in the oil expanded.  Thanks for reminding me to check on that before cold weather sets in again.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Jim_Rogers

I tried to make a oil water separator jug but putting in a drain valve but I couldn't get a good seal.

So I just waited until winter. The jug froze and the water was ice, poured off the oil.

the oil was junk but it burn up in the fire ok.

I didn't have and don't have a good place to get rid if drain oil so I just burn it in my wood stove.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

loggah

It will separate, and if you leave it out in the cold the water will go to the bottom of the barrel and freeze. lots of guys with waste oil furnaces use this method.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

leot

I had the same problem in a farm tractor.  I used Air-line antifreeze.  It worked real well.
48 in manual mill 1880's

luvmexfood

When I used to do a lot of woodworking I had this big heavy wood stove I built back in high school welding shop. I would take my used motor oil and funnel it back into the plastic quart jugs. When I was in the shop working I would build a wood fire and when it got going good throw in a plastic quart of used oil and shut the door. Good heat.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

thecfarm

I have heard of setting up a barrel and a metal line and just having a tickle of oil to burn with some wood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jim_Rogers

I use the drip in method, as well.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!