iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ms 291 Full wrap handle?

Started by kj330, November 04, 2019, 09:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kj330

Is a full wrap hand available for the stihl ms291? I can't find any info on it

sawguy21

I don't believe so. If a 20" bar is not long enough you need to change your felling technique or get a bigger saw.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

kj330

I have no problem with the 20 inch bar. I'm asking about a full wrap handle

sawguy21

Then I don't understand why you would want a full wrap handle. They are used on felling saws when the tree is too large to cut from one side but often get in the way when trying to cut low on the stump. They also can be a nuisance when changing the bar and chain especially when they get bent.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

kj330

My buddy is lefty , with the full wrap it is a lot more comfortable to operate. And I'm giving him the saw as a gift

Ed

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 08, 2019, 01:39:58 AM
Then I don't understand why you would want a full wrap handle. They are used on felling saws when the tree is too large to cut from one side but often get in the way when trying to cut low on the stump. They also can be a nuisance when changing the bar and chain especially when they get bent.
A full wrap handle allows me to fell a tree from either side without moving, allows complete saw control when felling.

The size of the tree has no bearing at all, it's a safety issue. I can cut on the safest side in a hazard condition and have a good escape route that might not be there with a one sided saw.

Ed

kj330

lxskllr

Displacement is close to the 362. I wonder if the wrap bar from that would fit?

Skeans1

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 08, 2019, 01:39:58 AM
A wrap only add an inch, changing bar and chains is no anymore difficult, plus it's just safer without doing the Swedish stump dance.

kj330

That's what I thought. I can't find anything but thank you

Pine Ridge

If you absolutely have to have a full wrap on it, and assuming the current handle is aluminum, find a shop that can weld aluminum, take another aluminum handle off a junk saw and cut what you need from it to fabricate a full wrap and have it welded. We have a plant close to here that builds stainless steel tanks, they also weld aluminum because i've saw some broken chainsaw handles that they have welded back together, and done a very good looking job .Assuming your handle is not something other than aluminum , someone somewhere could make one, depends on how much time and money you want to put into it.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: kj330 on November 09, 2019, 06:59:11 PM
My buddy is lefty , with the full wrap it is a lot more comfortable to operate. And I'm giving him the saw as a gift
I had a feeling it was a left handed thing.  I'm right handed, but it would be nice for some folks if they made left handed saws.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!