Previous topic - Next topic

1967Stroker

1967Stroker

still a need a little work but it does the job

Ox

Looks like a good homemade arch to me!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

I'm just makeing one now.
I'm wanting to put on brakes on the wheels and a gas or electric winch for the logs.
The places I get my logs is very steep roads and some trees will need to be winched up over banks.
I'm worred about being pushed down the roads with a large log.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ianab

What are you towing with? Even a smaller tractor will control a heavy load better than ATV. 

Winching logs? Some pulley blocks, strops you can wrap around trees and a gas powered capstan winch will move just about anything. Just a matter of taking the time and staying safe.

Fast production needs power and heavy machinery. Low impact or hobby logging needs skill and cunning. Sometime you stop thinking trees per hour, and go to hours per tree. That takes the pressure off.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jemclimber

Looks good Stroker.  I like the tab under the tongue to keep the hitch out of the dirt. You may want to think about putting some gussets between the inverted "U" and the main beam. There is a tremendous force there when turning with a heavy log and one wheel encounters a little snag or a bump. Even a short length of steel or a small triangle welded in there will greatly help with such a moment.
lt15

WV Sawmiller

Good looking piece of equipment.

kbeitz,

You have a valid concern. I use mine with my ATV on some rough slopes. First preference is to drag the log with the ATV alone. Longer logs roll less and are more controllable so leave them as long as you can pull. Pulling a 12' log is much safer than an 8' one. Next option is just lift one end and let the other end serve as a drag/brake. Last tree I cut I dragged this way in 17, 31 & 34 foot lengths and they were much more controllable. On level ground and to help reduce damage to the yard and getting yelled at as much by my wife about such I attach a rear dolly to the log then lift other end with the log arch and tow to the site. See picture below.

I use a lot of long cables and a couple of snatch blocks. HF has a good, cheap 10 ton snatch block for around $20. The 2 halves swivel apart for you to get the rope/cable inside then close with 2 eyes held together with your chain around a tree or stump. They are light weight and I use them more than my big heavy gated snatch block. I should get a couple more.

Do be careful as pulling logs on any slope is dangerous. Ian is right about a tractor controlling the log better but on slopes you may be at a greater risk of turning over or flipping a tractor than an ATV. Long cables and snatch blocks can be your best friend and safety equipment in some areas.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

The reason I'm makeing this is because I dont want to drag the log.
I dont want to rip up my roads and I dont want the dirt on the log.
So... Today I got a good start on my brakes...
It wont be so bad once I get my HG Oliver crawler put back together...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

Kbeitz,No more Kubota tractor?
Brakes may not help much on woods dirt,might just slide. Yes,may work the first 3-4-5 trips but what about the 6 time when it starts to get beat down?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Delawhere Jack

67 Stroker, that's a good looking arch. Seeing that should inspire me to finally finish building my own. Pretty much the same design. I'm getting tired of tripping over the steel tubing in the shop. ::)

Now then. What can you tell us about that windmill?

Kbeitz

Quote from: thecfarm on September 11, 2015, 08:35:25 PM
Kbeitz,No more Kubota tractor?
Brakes may not help much on woods dirt,might just slide. Yes,may work the first 3-4-5 trips but what about the 6 time when it starts to get beat down?
If it starts to push me I'll drop the 3 point and let the skid foot dig in the dirt...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

drobertson

Stroker, nice job on the arch,, I too have gave the idea of making one,  the main issue is getting in position, while hooking on and dragging just seems quicker for me with my little Allis, and as for the dirt, I raise them with the hitch and use my debarker, but nice build for sure,  I'm sure you will get the use from it.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

21incher

Nice job on the arch. Sure beats having to buy heavy equipment to move logs. I had my scariest moment with mine when trying to tow a log straight up a muddy hill when the drive wheels filled with mud and lost traction. The wheels were spinning foward and everything was sliding backwards down the hill with no way to stop. I think I will make a 3 pt hitch trailer hitch adapter like Kbeitz with teeth that can be droped to engage in the ground to act like a emergency brake that would help in situations like that. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Ox

I know they're a little pricey but it's hard to beat a set of double ring chains in mud.  You even get the added benefit of picking up a couple hundred pounds of extra weight!  Of course you turn any surface afterward into a messed up dirt/mud clump mess when you drive across it after you come out of the mud.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Sixacresand

It's not an example of perfect fabrication, but it my main log and lumber mover.

Great job on yours, Stroker
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

:D :D :D :D   6....You da Man son! I love it!  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Now that is a "Gollywhopping" arch.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ox

Sixacre - that reminds me of the old tube style tractor loaders in the 40s and 50s.  Some of them look kind of wimpy but they are surprisingly stout and effective.  Well done!

5quarter

sixacresand...ok, you cannot post pictures of redneck engineering prowess without telling us all about it.

Start talking.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

1967Stroker

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on September 11, 2015, 08:57:47 PM
67 Stroker, that's a good looking arch. Seeing that should inspire me to finally finish building my own. Pretty much the same design. I'm getting tired of tripping over the steel tubing in the shop. ::)

Now then. What can you tell us about that windmill?

i built it to pulse charge batteries. its homemade too. lol. but if you want to built one its not to hard.

4x4American

Why don't you just use a parachute for brakes?  That's what drag racers use and if drag racers use it they must work good!

:D :D :D

Nice job
Boy, back in my day..

Sixacresand

Quote from: 5quarter on September 16, 2015, 01:19:34 AM
sixacresand...ok, you cannot post pictures of redneck engineering prowess without telling us all about it.

Start talking.  ;)
There is not much to tell.  I needed an arch because I was having to drag logs to the mill a tractor.  Besides tearing up grass the logs were getting dirty.  All the material was stuff I had accumulated over the years.  A friend had an discarded homemade trailer axle, the kind where they cut the spindles off the front of an old pickup truck and welding them to thick wall tubing.  It had old jeep rims, which were the same as 1980's ford pickup.  I knew that was a start.  The round tubing came from a old trampoline dumped in the woods on my place.  Some square tubing came about the same way. 
With an Oxy/Act torch I cut out the parts, cleaned up the cuts with a angle grinder and welded them together with a 220 V electric welder. The only thing I bought were welding supplies, a set of skidding tongs and a ball hitch. 
  Somewhere in the process I remember asking myself, If I can afford to buy a mill, why not just go to WM and buy a Logrite arch?

A trick I learned from an old timer.  Have a load of dirt dumped near your welding area, preferably under a shade tree.  Pack dirt around parts to hold them in place for spot welding.  Works wonders if you don't have the right kind of clamps and jigs.
  I wish I had a good camera phone when I built it, but I really wanted to see if it actually held together before I took a photo.  My self imposed weight limit is 16' x 20" Pine. 
  Also I stack/sticker lumber from the mill on pallets and am able move loaded pallets. 
  I found that my Craftsman Yard tractor and arch to be right handy tool around the mill. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

gww

six
Thanks for the ideal of using dirt for welding.  I would have never thought of that.
gww

Ox

I agree.  Good idea and thanks for sharing it.  I always use cut off pieces of steel and whatever else I can find for this purpose.  I would think a pile of concrete sand would work pretty good.

bandmiller2

When I weld pipe or square tube togather I leave a very slight gap between them. When tacked they will move but the gap allows me to square or level the pieced before I tack the other side. It also gives deeper weld penetration. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!