iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logmaster LM2 hydraulic pump

Started by Grizzly, July 06, 2018, 11:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzly

My belt for the hydraulic pump has blown for the umpteenth time and I'm thinking of doing a separate hydraulic power pack. I found the manufacture name Honor, but I can't find any other model info. Any Logmaster owners that can help me tonight? I'm wondering about gpm and pressure. I can call in tomorrow but trying to research tonight.

Also will there be any advantage in having a 2 stage pump? Will it function the cylinders faster when not under pressure but then kick in and go up to work pressures? Just like a log splitter? Or no comparison?
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

ladylake

Can you just put bigger pulleys on both the pump and engine.  If your mill has hyd feed I wouldn't go with a 2 stage pump.   Steve 
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

mike_belben

How many gpm is the pump you have now and what size belt?  

Im guessing the belt series is insufficient for the power required or sheaves misaligned.  Properly sized and setup belts can last 100k miles in auto application. 

Is there a backside tensioner on this belt?  That kills em fast, they cant bend backward much at all.
Praise The Lord

Grizzly

I can't change pulleys very easily or at all. No space is one issue. Yes, it is hydraulic feed so thanks for the no go on 2 stage.

I don't know gpm as I can't find any info on the pump. Still looking for any other info I can find. I did install a backside tensioner and that helped double the lifespan and I've done the best I can to align them properly. Seems like an inappropriate application? Or power issue?

One issue is that the hydraulic drive belt is behind the main band drive belt making it a real pain for changing. If it lasted like expected then probably not an issue. A pump on the main frame would also eliminate about a hundred feet of hydraulic hose and allow log handling circuits better flow from less restrictions. I'll keep hunting for pump info.

mike_belben

Our experiences diverge then.  I had designed backside tensioned belts  for steering pump on my 466 when i added air compressor to shift the road ranger.   They were tearing up quick until i deleted that tensioner.
Praise The Lord

Grizzly

Mine only put slight reverse bend to the belt not a complete backward wraparound. Maybe that's the difference? Mine was intended to take the bounce out of the belt when it surged from hydraulic load.

Learned my pump is from Honor in Texas and puts out about 10gpm @ 3500rpm and about 3500psi continuous but able to peak at 4200psi. Honor figures it needs about 7hp.

Only 2 possible hydraulic functions are used during the cut so I'm really not losing hp from the little bit used taking the head down the track or if minor adjustments are needed to the following blade guide. I'd still like to take the pump down closer to the controls and eliminate a bunch of hose. Or is that crazy?

ladylake

That's a good idea, if your mill has hyd up - down on the head then you would still need a couple hoses going up to the head. If electric up down they should have had  deck mounted hyd power from the start, my B20 uses a 6hp gas motor driving the hyd pump with a love joy coupler and it works great , real trouble free.  I'd think you'll only need around 1500# pressure , set it as low as you can  with the relieve valve and still lift the big logs.  3500# is really high and would be hard on hoses etc. 10 gals per minute sounds fine, I run my gas motor about half speed and everything move good, if too slow just speed the motor up. If you stationary I'd run a farm duty enclosed motor, I'd think a 3 or 5 hp would be plenty.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!