iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

john deere 440 skidder shifting issues

Started by joedimmell, February 28, 2016, 10:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joedimmell

hello looking for some input on a 440 b I think jd skidder I have recently lost forward and fixed the roller dowel that puts it into forward and it worked for about five minutes and then when you let the clutch out in forward it starts to move and then grinds just wondering if it would be just the linkage or should I start taking the trans out again to investigate further 

hacknchop

Welcome to the ff im not a jd guy but there here and they will help.
Often wrong never indoubt

grassfed

Quotefixed the roller dowel

I'm not sure what you mean by roller dowel but I assume you mean the ball bearing that fits into the holes on the shifter cam.

When you say forward I am assuming that you are talking about 1 in the range shifter.

Does it go into 2 on the range shifter?

One way to check the adjustment is to remove the plug bolt on the side of the trans. There are two of these on the right side of the trans; one for range and one for gear. Under these is a spring, a retainer, and a large ball bearing. If you take these out and place the shifter into the gear you are missing you can check the alignment with the shifter cam dimple by feeling the dimple with your finger. It should be centered at the end of the hole, with the shifter on the console in the proper gear location.

If all of this checks out and you do not have too much slop in the shift linkage and pins  you may have an internal trans problem; from your description it sounds like it could be a linkage and or adjustment problem.
Mike

Firewoodjoe

I had a A that did the samething. These are very tedious on adjustment. But mine ended up being the shift forks. It's was all worn and sloppy but welding up the shift fork and put new syincros in and a lot of time adjusting and it worked like a charme. Good luck.

Thank You Sponsors!