iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Doggy logs

Started by bandmiller2, October 22, 2008, 07:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

It seems to me some of the oldest crappiest doggy looking logs give you the prettiest looking lumber.Many times I've cut a bare old log just to get it out of the way and ended up with furnature wood.Logs are like a package wrapped in brown paper you don't know til you open it. Conversly the most pristine looking logs have the ants and hardware,as stated before people don't drive hardware in ugly trees. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Captain

I know what you mean.  I cut some pitch pine out of a pile the other day that had been down over 2 years for some shed roof sheathing.  Hated to use it for that, ended up cutting trim boards out of it instead.

Captain

gizmodust

Had a neighbor loose a maple to a storm.  He said that a couple of friends wanted some of it for firewood.  He asked if I wanted some of the big  stuff for lumber.  Didn't know if it would be any good, but he asked anyway.  When I looked at it, there was a lot of potential.  But when I cut it, the drool was almost too much.  The color was fantastic.  Now I see it as a desk or cabinet.  Just have to look at bad logs with a different eye.
Always liked wood with alot of character

VT

My first Lip / Reply

Gents , just like woman , rather be Sur /  prized by a wife / long term partner that some flat / tight , nothing inside bubble pop.
I have one , that can work saws / chippers etc.

Now I know what a doggy log is :-)
VT

backwoods sawyer

The Myrtlewood out here is the same way. The uglier it is, the better the chance of getting good color. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!