iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

question

Started by woodmills1, January 31, 2004, 05:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

I am liking this retirement stuff.  Did my first inside carpentry last month and now have a chance to do some logging.  The wood cutter I buy my cheapo pine from came over today to ask If I wanted to do some work on a 5 acre job he has.  This is at an existing house that wants to have much of the area cleared of trees for animals.  I will look at the piece tomorrow so will have more specifics.

Here is my question:  It looks like he wants me to do most or all of the work, with my tractor forwarder and saws.  The wood is mostly hardwood pulp and firewood with some logs.  He is not going to get paid for the job only in wood.  He is talking about a 60/40 split on the money earned with me getting 60.  I think maybe I better go for a higher split if I am to do most or especially all of the work.  He did get the contract and has a log truck and big chipper, but he isn't going to haul the great majority of the logs and there won't be any chipping.

I don't think I would be off base asking for a greater percentage do you?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Norm

Unless there's some good sawlogs I'd clear it for the wood, no split. If I clear with my excavator I keep all the wood and will pile up the stumps. This is for woods with pallet quality logs.

Ianab

Hi Woodmills

I guess the first question is... will the 60/40 split make you good money?
If you can do it and be above what you would charge the guy for 'by the hour' work then it's a good deal for ya
If the hourly rate seems to low.. then it's time to haggle
Having said that.. if you are doing most of the work it might be OK to try haggling another 5 or 10% , but dont blow the deal if you think it's gonna pay OK

Just my 2c worth  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ron Wenrich

What's the going rate in your area?  I've heard sawlogs go for a 50/50 split, but that's in dollars, not lumber.

With pulp/firewood, are you going to cut to length or just put it on a pile?  That effects the split.

Find out how much delivered pulp is going for in your area.  Your 60% will be that much value per ton/cord.  Find out how much pulp stumpage is fetching.  Then you can find out how fair it is.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woodmills1

I just got back from looking at the site and I think it is more of a job for a skidder and not my set up.  About a foot of snow and thick underbrush including mountain laurel.  I can see me trying to push over the laurel and spinning in the snow.  In the parts I walked I saw mostly small trees even for firewood with only an occasional tree that would give a log or two.  Don't think I better start with this one.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Stephen_Wiley

Better go with your last decision.

Since you were not 'privy' to the contract discussions, you don't want to be the one responisble for additional cleanup, etc. from operations.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Larry

James,
As a retiree I get those "deals" once or twice a month.  Two weeks ago I took a look at 36 white & burr oaks all in the 20 to 40" dbh range.  Some had been hit by lightening, some were heavy leaners, and the rest were wolf trees.  80 miles on the truck and 2 hours wasted.  Week before I looked at some real nice ERC and the price was right (free) but it would have taken a helicopter to get them out.  Seems like only 1 out of 10 ends up paying off.

I have worked the splits before on either logs or lumber and they work out pretty good.  Only problem is sometimes the other guy feels cheated so most of the time I shy away unless it is somebody I have known for a long time and we have a clear understanding of who gets what.

Guess I need more experience.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!