iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slab service wanted -- Lafayette, Indiana

Started by bakerhardwoods, May 11, 2007, 11:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhardwoods

I am looking for someone who can slab three logs for me.  I've cut them with a crotch and Y on one end and I would like a through and though, natural edge, cut.  The width at the widest part is too wide for a standard Wood-Mizer type mill and I want a full slab.  The idea is to have slabs for use as table tops or desks.

There is a "wanted" forum but I didn't see how to post there.  Sorry if this is the wrong place or if I'm not supposed to post wanted items.  I've enjoyed reading Forestry Forums for years.

Cheers, Tim Baker

P.S. If you are close enough in to me to possibly cut the logs, it would be fine if you could send me an email.

Part_Timer

TIm Glad to see you found the place.  I'm not sure where the find a sawmiller icon went

What are you going to make with the slabs?  Wish I had a slabbing attachment, I'd come down and cut them up for ya.  Did you have any luck with Petersons?

OOPS almost forgot Welcome to the forum.

Tom "Salvage Creek Timber"
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Tom

Click on the funny face (little kevin)logo at the top left and go to the "front door".  The "find a Forester" link is top right corner.  It's the find a sawyer link too.

JV

Tim,
    Welcome aboard.  I bought a used 56" Alaskan mill for my 084 a year ago to quarter logs too big for my LT40.  Haven't used it yet.  I need to get a couple of replacement parts and a couple of rip chains.  If you can't get a slabber and want to trust a 60 year old fat man, I'll get the parts.  Maybe we can get through without any damage to either of us.  :D
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

bakerhardwoods

Hey guys, Sorry I didn't get back sooner -- a day job and raising two daughters got in the way for a few days.

JV, I think I found someone to cut my slabs.  I have the feeling it would have been fun to work with you.  I'll keep you in mind in case my arrangements fall though.

Tom, sure enough the links to "find a sawyer" are there where you pointed them out.

Part-Timer, I'm making the claim that the slabs are for making tables or for desk tops, but in reality I seldom make anything and I'm mostly just a wood collector.  I think there is a lot of that going around on these forums.  I suppose some day I will find time to use more of my wood than I do now.  I sell some wood in this hobby-business and will probably start selling more in the next few years.

Speaking of selling wood, one of my main sellers has been FAS red oak.  I'm low, so if anyone has a good price on a couple of thousand board feet of FAS red oak I'd be interested, preferably green as I like to dry it myself.

I enjoy reading the Sawmills and Milling forum as well as the Forestry and Logging forum.  I especially like it when you guys post pictures.

Cheers, Tim

treebucker

Hello bakerhardwoods,
I'm near Fort Knox. I've got a little over 400 bf of 14' 5/4 cut last weekend. Will be cutting more this weekend. I don't claim FAS because I flunked the grading course. (Ok, I haven't taken a grading course.)  :D But about 60% of what we have cut is clear. What are you paying? If you are interested send me a PM or email me.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

Captain

Tom, you line up some jobs for a slabber, and we'll be sure you get one to use...even if just for a little while  ;)

If you're doing under 44" wide stuff, I can send the small one.  If you need 62", I'll have to get another bar first....

Captain

Part_Timer

Thanks for the offer Captain.  I'll keep that in mind.   

I do like your sales pitch though.  "We'll send you one to use"                      "so you can figure out you just can't live without one" ;) :D

Peterson 8" ATS.

JV

Aw, come on Tom, I'm sure Captain has your best interest at heart.  Get the 62" and be the first in our area, maybe the state to own one. 
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Part_Timer

JV I'm hoping to have one the first of the year.  When I get it you can come up and we'll slab something up.  I've got a couple of nice red oak crotches to slab and could use the help. :D
Peterson 8" ATS.

JV

Tom,

I'll take you up on the offer.  Some people might question as to how much help I am, but I

can hold my own with a cup of coffee.   :D
John

Part_Timer

Peterson 8" ATS.

bakerhardwoods

I'm looking again for someone to slab some logs for me in West Lafayette, IN.  Several are 3' or bigger white oak and there are other logs and log sections I would like slabbed as well.  If you need me to post pictures I can take some.  I would like for you to come to the logs.  If you have a swing mill with a slabbing attachment, I would consider having you cut a big white oak log or two with the swing mill if you can get a decent percentage of quartersawn out of it.

Thank you and sorry if this is the wrong place to place this request.

Tim Baker
bakerhardwoods@gmail.com

Jeff

I have merged your newest topic with your old one. No need in creating a new topic for the same thing. Just post on it and it comes back to the top. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bakerhardwoods

Thank you Jeff.  I'm impressed the old thread could be found.  There is no way I could remember it from 6 years ago!

beenthere

bakerhardwoods
To read your old posts, just click on your name. It will take you to where you can click on your posts previously made. Often, that is interesting as well as finding where old posts have been answered by others (or others have left a question for you). 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bakerhardwoods

I think I have found someone, so this post is no longer needed.  Maybe I will remember to take some pics and post them, when the work is done in the next two or three weeks.

Cheers, Tim

beerman219

Who did you end up using and how did it work out?  My family has property with a bunch of large ash trees I would like to have milled before the EAB gets them. 

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, beerman219.   :)

Good question, but do you think that the EAB is in Georgia?   

Using the FF to gain knowledge is important, but then following up and posting the results helps everyone in the future.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beerman219

No EAB here in GA but my parents live 15  miles from Lafayette IN and the EAB is very close so it's only a matter of time. 

Nomad

Yes it is.  I spend a fair amount of time in Columbus OH and have seen a lot of trees taken out by EAB.  One in my girlfriend's front yard. >:(
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!