iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unknown scat in woods

Started by OneWithWood, April 16, 2013, 06:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

Here are a couple of pics of some scat that I came across while shroom hunting.
No I did not find any  :(

I think I know what it is and if it is it is unusual for this area.

What do you think?
The knife is 6 1/4" long.  There were five of these droppings spaced about four feet apart on a path.
Whatever it is has greatly disturbed the soil around a number of trees.  Places where I usually find mushrooms.  :(
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jay C. White Cloud

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

muskoka guy

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Don't show it to Si......he'll eat it thinking it's Muscadines.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SwampDonkey

Deer.

Even a moose sometimes will have a change in their stools. Most of the time it's oblong round pellets, but some times it's like cow pies. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

I'm sorry for eating your mushrooms, OWW

;D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Jeff

OneWithWood

The deer scat around here are always loose pellets.  I have never seen this conglomeration before.
I was thinking black bear cub. A couple of folks swear they saw one in the woods a while back.  We did have a fellow down the road busted for keeping wild animals including black bear and big cats.
One With Wood

OneWithWood

:D I dunno, Jeff. You have been keeping a pretty weird diet of late... :D :D :D
One With Wood

pigman

I don't know what deer eat up north to have droppings like that, but down here deer droppings never look like that.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

beenthere

Here is a shot of one I think similar, not as "new" or fresh, or reconstituted with some rain.
Snap shot of a few minutes ago.  Some similarity.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on April 16, 2013, 06:42:44 PM
Don't show it to Si......he'll eat it thinking it's Muscadines.  :D
:D :D :D I remember that episode!

OWW- It's deer scat. Just like humans, what they expel doesn't always look the same.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

The Easter Bunny hid some eggs on the front lawn. The Grand Kids found some chocolate jelly beans from the deer.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

That's funny. :D I can picture that happening. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WDH

Fox or coyote.  Probably coyote. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

chevytaHOE5674

Jeff

Quote from: WDH on April 16, 2013, 08:56:42 PM

No way. Its definitely whitetail deer. Looks typical of what we see all over michigan. Somebody go get Corley5 if you want an expert. He was a DNR poop counter for over a decade.

Jay C. White Cloud

I wasn't crack'n a joke before, it's an older buck, or pregnant doe, that is what there scat looks like very often.  It's deer just as Jeff said.  Definitely not fox or coyote  Bear cub scat is similar, but wrong proportion and consistency.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

Corley5

Whitetail deer  :)  Former MDNR Pelleteer  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sawguy21

Quote from: Jeff on April 16, 2013, 09:22:16 PM
Quote from: WDH on April 16, 2013, 08:56:42 PM

No way. Its definitely whitetail deer. Looks typical of what we see all over michigan. Somebody go get Corley5 if you want an expert. He was a DNR poop counter for over a decade.
Uh...nope. Not touching that one. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!