iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is Precious to You?

Started by Magicman, November 13, 2014, 08:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Working alone at the Cabin for a couple of days lets the mind wander.

I know what my answer is; Family and Time.  The Family is obvious, but Time is elusive.  Our "buckets" of time has a measured amount known only to our Maker.  Spending time doing or accomplishing nothing may be folly, but giving of your time is giving the most precious thing that we can actually give.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

r.man

Family and time together, the one needs the other.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Herb Brooks

Well Said Majic.  If we all were as giving as you seem to be the world would be a much better place.  I believe the majority of people have lost sight of the true meaning of life and life abundantly.  The world sees life abundantly as a life filled with money and possesions. I belive when the Lord said Life abundantly he ment the two things you mention.  when we have family and time together, what other abundance is there?

thurlow

Tomorrow night, our HS class is having a mini-reunion (52 years)) to celebrate our 70th birthday(s).  Had a BIG reunion 2 years ago;  out of 109 class members, 28 had passed away.  Four more (could be 5) have died since then;  one was killed in Viet Nam, one died in a vehicle accident and the others from disease, old age, etc.  I don't "see" myself as 70 years old.........50 or 55, maybe.  When I get to thinking about being old, I often think of the line from "September Song".........."the days dwindle down to a precious few".  I used it in the email inviting everyone to the reunion.................
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

yukon cornelius

My wife and I talk often about this. Time is our most valuable asset. it goes by so fast! we lost most everything we owned a few years back to a house fire and lived in a 60 year old cattle barn for a few months until our oldest son got out of school  then moved to a new area. we have since had a complete makeover of our lives. it didn't take very long in those conditions to figure out what was important and who our friends were.

You never know how much time you will have left so make the best of what you get!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

chain

I've often thought I was one of the luckiest men in the world. My luck began when I was around ten years old, when a mean young fellow held the barrel of a .22 rifle against my chest and cursed me and said he would kill me if I told my Dad what he and his brother had been doing. I can still see the fire in his  black hateful eyes, he meant it. Wasn't long before both he and his brother went to reform school.

Yes, my life is precious, lots of folks have depended on me for a long time. I've remained relatively healthy in fifty years or  more of hard work. I wouldn't want to go into other close calls, we all have things happen. What brings me down to earth is knowing how my little granddaughter struggles to live each day...life is precious.

gimpy

I was 29 and married for 4 years. Didn't appreciate what I had at that age. My first child was born and my wife died (hours after childbirth). Spent the next 27 years broken, unhealthy and single.

Then I met an amazing single women at Starbucks with 2 young teenage children (one autistic). Married her (8 months later) and have been truly blessed every single day since '07. Every single day I wake up to this woman I am luckier than I deserve. Never wish for another day. Only proud and happy to have this day. Healthiest, happiest and most loved in my life, every day since '07.

What is precious? Every day being loved and loving.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

SawyerBrown

Family and time definitely.  I'd add to that two things:

Children (all children).  Watching them grow and develop, and hopefully realizing their dreams.  Mourning when they make bad choices, and the resulting lost potential.  Hurting when they have to deal with health issues, broken families, abuse ... anything that takes away from them just being kids.  Watching in awe the talent (saw a teenage girl on the news the other night that has dreamed of going to Mars since she was 3, and has participated in several NASA forums on the subject ...)

Art and music.  Things that don't add one thing to our pocketbook or our belly, but set us apart from other animals.  Music that can lift our spirits or calm our hearts or make us cry.  I just can't imagine what my life would be like without music.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

GDinMaine

Interesting you brought this up. 
In the past four months I had no more then four (4) days off between my day-job, sawmill and working on my house.  This made me absolutely exhausted.  Hopefully in a few weeks I will get to the end of the house and sawmill work for this season. 

Most importantly, it made me realize how much I miss spending TIME WITH MY FAMILY.
Hands down, they are the most precious to me.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

woodworker9

For me, it's family first, hands down.   After that, it's fishing, and time spent on the lake decompressing.  Catching the fish is secondary.

In 2 weeks, I'm meeting my 5 best friends from high school in Las Vegas.  We all turned 50 together,and we put this trip together to celebrate.  Keeping in close friendship this long with my group of pals from younger days has been priceless.  In the 35 years since, they are still my best friends in life, next to my wife, of course.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

woodmills1

Nice topic............along with the family and time I need to add trust.  It is very hard to establish and very easy to lose.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Magicman

Trust is a very nice element to add.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

My life,or time spent,right here on my land. It makes it more precious when friends and family are with us.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

grandgourmand

i'm not going to disagree with anything anyone's said.  all great answers.  and all true.

one thing I'd add that i heard in a song once that stuck with me about what's important in life: "something to look forward to".

i'm all about living in the present, but if you lose sight of what's ahead and the good things that can come, life can become very depressing. 

Magicman

lineguy82

This guy is the reason for nearly everything I do these days ;D ;D

95 chevy 4x4
Husky 562xp
Hardy H5
22T Countyline Splitter
...and hopefully a sawmill when the wife finishes college

Nate379

Good health, being right with God and fellow man, having a roof over my head, food to eat.

I don't have kids, just a dog.

sandhills

Family, friends, and our animals, when it comes to time I guess the first thing that pops up is my wife and I's fishing, even if it's just a hour down at the river at night, that's "our" time, this summer I think we set the record on catching bait  :D. 

Grizzly

Been reading this thread for a bit and noticed time come up often. It made me think of the song which includes these words: "I'm in a hurry to get things done, Oh I rush and rush until lifes no fun. All I really got to do is live and die, but I'm in a hurry and don't know why" (Alabama I believe?). The other thing I've noticed as I read is that my precious list is getting long............. faith, wife, family, friends, nature and all the good things we enjoy, trust got mentioned and I really appreciated how it was mentioned; "hard to gain and easy to loose". Anyway I've really enjoyed this thread of thought. Continue on........
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Stray one

Family and our way of life (Ranching/Firewood).  My wife and I are so lucky to have a place to raise our kids were they can be kids, learn the value of hard work and the natural world that so many kids are deprived of now days.

thecfarm

Stray one,welcome to the forum. Lots of toys in your signature. Did notice a sawmill missing.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Stray one.  How about an intro thread?   :)

Stray one

Thank you thecfarm.  I thought about a saw mill but everyone and there dog has one where we live.  Our pace was partly logged about 30 years ago and nature thinned some (fire).  We mostly manage our stand for health and get wood from other folks doing the same.

Thank You Sponsors!