iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to charge a car battery with a chainsaw

Started by 4x4American, April 02, 2015, 08:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

submarinesailor

I one time hooked up an electric start push mower and used it to charge my truck battery.  Momma was all upset with me for running the battery down..........until the truck actually started. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D

Bruce

JohnW

Send it to Red Green.  If he put it on the show, the belt would be made of duck tape.  (Can't say if he'd know how to handle the keeper.)

4x4American

haha yea you're right old Red Green would do it out of duct tape!
Boy, back in my day..

sawguy21

O.K How do I reinstall the fan belt with the engine running? Inquiring minds need to know.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

4x4American

Good point, only thing I can think of, is to charge it for awhile with the powersaw and then before attempting to start it put it back together. 
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

This goes into my category of "just because something is possible does not mean that it is practical".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Mc

Interesting idea. A bit more involved than getting a jump or a push start, but some times you have no alternative.

I'm trying to visualize the electrical circuit from the alternator to the battery. Does the ignition need to be in the run position for this to work?  Don't some alternators require a little bit of juice to energize the field windings in order to make power, or do most of them have permanent magnets these days.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

4x4American

Quote from: Magicman on April 04, 2015, 08:52:19 AM
This goes into my category of "just because something is possible does not mean that it is practical".

It is never practical to be stuck in the middle of nowhere in the dark with a dead battery and no means of communication.  It is a good trick to have your your bag, for a case when all you have is what is around you.
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Yup, but you just happen to have a chainsaw, belt, etc.

John Mc, the alternator stays wired directly to the battery.  The diode pack in the alternator keeps the battery from discharging back through the alternator.   I have had an alternator diode to go bad which killed the battery.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Always have a chainsaw with me!  Don't matter where I'm off to, I gotta chainsaw.  I keep my 362 Stihl in the front, and 461 in the back.  Also keep peaveys and cant hooks back there.  Soup cans, gloves, hazard triangles, extra clothing, rain gear, flashlights, batteries, etc.  I have a makeshift one size fits all fanbelt that I keep in there too that my papaw gave to me.  I try to always be prepared. 
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

GAB

Quote from: 4x4American on April 04, 2015, 12:07:44 PM
Always have a chainsaw with me!  Don't matter where I'm off to, I gotta chainsaw.  I keep my 362 Stihl in the front, and 461 in the back.  Also keep peaveys and cant hooks back there.  Soup cans, gloves, hazard triangles, extra clothing, rain gear, flashlights, batteries, etc.  I have a makeshift one size fits all fanbelt that I keep in there too that my papaw gave to me.  I try to always be prepared.

You must have been a Boys Scout in your younger years.
You sir have learned to be prepared.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

4x4American

Haha  while yes i was a boy scout, i was also an honorary girl scout  :D

my momma was the leader of my younger and older sisters girl scout troops, and guess who had to go to every meeting and gathering!

at least my friend nicks momma was same thing so we hung out and flirted with the older girls and played tricks on the younger
Boy, back in my day..

Kcwoodbutcher

I think John Mc is right. Most alternators require some juice to the field winding to work. In a jump start it gets it from the other battery. In this case there is no juice unless the battery still has some left in it. It takes 10 to 11 volts to energize those windings.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

~smokey~

My dog comes with me everywhere I go which means I always have a booster/powerbox 110 volt inverter thing to run fans for keeping the dog cool in warm weather, they don't cost much and run all sorts of 110 volt stuff.

petefrom bearswamp

Dont usually have all the stuff needed to do this  BUT usually have a little food and enough adult beverage to last till help arrives.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

4x4American

adult beverages are a good thing to keep handy  ;D
Boy, back in my day..

easymoney

if a cop shows up don't offer to share your adult beverage with him or needing a jump start might be the least of your worries.

hacknchop

I think you need to have a stihl as none of my other saws have that style of clutch,and delco remy or gm alt does not require any existing voltage in order to put out14 or more volts.This I know only on because of having set up  poor man's lighting system up in the boonies so as to saw at night worked ok.
Often wrong never indoubt

terrifictimbersllc

How about running the chainsaw for a while, especially at night,  then when the policeman comes he can give you a jump.  ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ford_man

Cost of Belt $7.95
Cost of Tools needed $25.00
Cost of 362 Stihl saw $725.00
Cost of 12 volt booster pac at Wal-Mart $49.95
The booster pac takes up alot less room  than all the other stuff.

4x4American

I have a booster pack and it was great the first few years,  now shes gettin old and banged up from riding everywhere in the bed of the truck it barely makes any difference anymore
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!