iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any runners on here?

Started by yukon cornelius, January 29, 2016, 11:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

Today I started running again. What I call running anyway. Fast walking for some and not fast walking for others. I did 30 minutes without breaking. I have been away from running for over a year and away from running on a regular basis for a few years. I haven't completely lost it but far far away from the half marathon I ran in 2010. Life really gets in the way but maybe I can keep up this time. It is a good way to get out in nature, exercise, clear my lungs, and lose a few pounds.

Anyone else run?
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

sawguy21

I started walking after my doctor read me the riot act about my weight and cholesterol levels. I am now at 4 km(2-1/2 miles) each morning and actually miss it if I don't get out usually due to weather. Down 30 lb and two waist sizes in the last year, it is really paying off. I also push away from the table after 1 plate. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bert

I run 4 miles a day on my days off from Logging and the mill. Down to 4 miles in 26 minutes but no real difference in weight since I started 2 years ago. I joke about being the fattest man able to run that time.
Saw you tomorrow!

Sixacresand

This conversation makes my hamstrings cramp and my back hurt.  But I used to be a runner and walker too. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

yukon cornelius

Jeff, I used to love those 5k and  10k. I think I could get back to it.

Bert that is an amazing speed. I have always been a thick short guy but I found distance running was my thing. Not as fast as you but I my best 5k time was 25 min 34 sec.  Right now I am pretty slow. I only had one first place win a few years back. 10 k stroller pushing division. I was the only stroller pusher for the 10.

Sixacresand, I find my back and legs are worse when not running.

Roger2561

I used to run 5 miles every day before going to work, until a few years ago I began having tendinitis problems; Achilles and anterior tibialis tendon.  So, I use the elliptical everyday before work.  It's much easier on my joints and back, and I get a really good cardio workout too but I miss running.  I had a check up with my health coach (I'm borderline diabetic) and she needed to check my sugar level.  It was at 92 so the no to low sugar diet I'm on is paying off.  The by-product of that is my PCP was able to take me off my blood pressure med, due to the diet and exercise.  Roger   
Roger

bigred1951

About the only running I do is to the bathroom or when it's raining outside and I forgot something in the car haha.

pine

Use to run - a lot. 
Competitively when I was in HS and college. 

In the years after that I ran 11-15 miles a day for stress relief due to the folks that I was training at the time (1977-1980, I will leave the nationality of said folks to the reader's intuitive analytical processes) and running was the only escape that would allow me to relax and escape - let's just say frustrations with the job. 

Wonderful people but training them was a challenge due to so many factors but that was what Uncle Sam said to do; so I did. 

After that, I continued to run for many more years at a reduced level until my joints and cartilage said no more (the Doc said the same thing).

Wish I had known about Glucosamine and Chondroitin at that time.  It keeps me mobile and moving now and I can do anything except run long distances. It would have potentially reduced the damage that years of running inflicted on my body.
Talk to your doctor.  Do some research might be right for you.  There is a small subset of the population that do not get benefits and reportedly have more joint pain but it helps lots of folks.

thechknhwk

I was running 5k's in 18:30's range, back in 1995 :D :D :D

yukon cornelius

Running is a great stress reducer. Roger, that anterior tibialis tendonitis almost shut me down. I went from a 5k practice to half  marathon practice in 3 days. Cardio wise I was fine but that tendonitis got me where I nearly couldn't walk. Went away with rest and then slowly eased into it. No problem since.

When I started running I was 280 lbs. I got to 180 lbs but I fall off the wagon and my belly swells.

Big red you might enjoy it. It really is nice to get out and focus on just the steps in front of you.

Thechknhwk, that is flying!!! I didn't start running until I was 31

Brian_Weekley

I used to run a lot in my younger years, but then I took up cycling later on in life.  Found it was much better on my joints.  It's also nice to cover a lot more ground and see more sights on any given workout.  When I lived near Ann Arbor, I belonged to a cycling club with 500+ members.  That was a blast with many group rides scheduled nearly every day of the week.  Riding with groups is always a great incentive to stay active--different than the "lonelines of the long distance runner".
e aho laula

yukon cornelius

Brian, I like being out with only my heavy breathing and wheezing to keep me company. It is great to have a little competition and accountability to keep you going.

SamB

I was a serious runner for about 10 years from age 31 to 41. Didn't have the extra money to play golf and needed a low budget hobby. I was in the best physical shape of my life and made some friends I would have probably never met if not for the common interest of running. Never ran a marathon just did a lot of shorter races 5K being the shortest and 15 mile the longest. The aches pains and liking to eat pushed me back to being a walker.

Brian_Weekley

YC, You made me dig out my old high school year book:  The Maryland State Cross Country Championship (no we didn't win, but what a lot of fun we had on that very wet, muddy day)!  Really brings back some great memories!  When I was young and my hair wasn't gray--1979 (280).   :D

e aho laula

gullydweller

I have always been into running but usually as training for other sports, rugby and basketball mostly.  However, after college I really started to get into Trail running.  They are usually very long.  30k-50k, but the terrain is usually very rough and steep so it slows the pace down for everyone.  In the end it is more an act of attrition and general stubbornness that gets you through, but the long hours in some really beautiful places make each and every one a very memorable event.  If you like the woods and finding out how far you really can go (which is much farther than most think), look into some longer trail races.
Timber framer, dreamer and father to two little rippers.

yukon cornelius

I want to do a full Marathon one day. I like to pick a good one like you  mention. A fun one. I had chose either "snow joke" in Montana or " the lost dutchman " in red rock canyon  in Arizona. I really wanted to do the Dutchman.

For me I think if you can do a 5k you have the physical ability to do a 10k, half marathon, and full marathon. It is just a mental decision to keep running. What is hardest for me is the dedication to the training. It is hard to get 30 minutes let alone 2 hours or 4 hours a day just to run.

I am blessed with an amazing area to run. 3 big lakes laced with a lot of trails. Beautiful country!

sandhills

I never have been a distance runner but I have been to the lost dutchmen area, scenery is spectacular but you better be in shape  ;)

dgdrls

Ran  as a kid and teenager, track, soccer and more soccer.
I probably walked, ran, scampered and climbed far enough
to circle the globe at least once as a Land Surveyor.

Now I only run on an Arc trainer,  My knees are still
pretty good and I still have lots to do ;)

Dan

yukon cornelius

I found fresh mountain lion tracks along my road as I was running! I better work on my sprinting and practice not looking delicious! I think one would leave me alone because I would taste annoying  ;D

Coach

After the hockey season is over, I'm going to start training for a 10K.  Been doing that the last 3 years, find it does me good, joints and heart.  I'm never going to beat that 4 miles in 26 minutes Bert mentions above.  That's a fast pace.  I'm more in the 8.5 minutes/mile clip.  Legs too short i guess  :D :D

WV Sawmiller

I commend all of you runners out there. Pretty much quit after left USMC. When I was stationed at Parris Island I once entered a super 500 there where I ran 500 miles in 90 days in =/+ 3 mile increments. Got a T-shirt and a certificate. (Wouldn't do that again). Furthest I ever ran was 15 miles a time or two. Fastest was about 20:18 for 3 miles. Never was a real fast runner.

Once ran a 10K at MCLB Albany Ga and my JAG lawyer buddy was sniping at me from behind and I told him if going to complain had to do it in front so he paced me last mile. We sprinted to the end and I beat him to the finish by one step. After which I stopped running and he trotted to the table and picked up the number ahead of me so they listed us as the same finish time but him ahead of me. (And you wonder why people hate lawyers!)

I ran a 7.7 mile bridge run in Beaufort SC and a real attractive young lady passed me at the 2 mile mark. I couldn't allow that so passed her back then at  the 3 mile mark she passed me again. I enjoyed the view for several miles thinking at end I'd just sprint past her. At about the 6 mile mark she kicked it in gear and I haven't seen her since. She'd probably already showered and changed when I got to the finish line. It was a humbling experience.

Those days are long gone and now only time I run is when I mis-gage cutting a big tree.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Andy White

Like WVSawmiller, I( was in great shape, and could run all day when I got out of the USMC. Stayed that way for a while, then fell into the work-a-day routine . A few knee injuries, and surgeries ,and forty years later, I can't run out of sight in three days!!!  Ok tho, I'll still get there!!      8) 8) 8)    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Thank You Sponsors!