iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hard pine flooring

Started by coxy, August 15, 2016, 10:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

I have hard pine flooring :-\  in my house and want to redo it with the gym floor sealer is it possible to make it 1/4in thick if so how much do you think it will take its 24x24 and how long do you think it will take to harden  thanks

cliffreaves

My math says it will take you 90 gallons.   But that's my math, let's wait for smart people to chime in.

petefrom bearswamp

Paul, had a flooring guy here Sunday to set up some water damage repair.
He told me that the old standby gym seal is no longer available in NY due to our clueless legislators.
It is however available in PA.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Grandpa

My math says 84 gallons, but I'm with Cliff, let's wait for the smart people.

coxy

say_what :) I thought you guys where the smart ones                                      thanks pete

Grandpa

I can't speak for Cliff, but if I'm a smart people we're in trouble.

cliffreaves

Quote from: Grandpa on August 16, 2016, 07:05:05 PM
I can't speak for Cliff, but if I'm a smart people we're in trouble.

x2 on that!

cliffreaves

Here's the formula is used.

576 (sqft) x .020833333 (1/48th of 12") = 12 (cubic feet)
12 (cubic feet) x 7.48 (conv. for cubeft into gallons) = 89.76 gallons

cliffreaves

But I know nothing about gym floor sealer

coxy

all I can say about it is its tuff, shinny, lasts a long time and smells good when it goes on  :)

Grandpa

Cliff's math is righter than mine. I used a conversion factor of 7 gallons per cubic foot, a quick google search shows that 7.48 is the correct number. stupid_smiley

Thanks Cliff, I learned something today. :)

bluthum

I don't know about gym floor sealer but I have varnished a lot of floors with different floor rated varnishes. There are gobs of them out there, both oil and water borne. Water base finishes dry faster so you can get outa there quicker but may not build as fast.

In order to build up a film that thick it would take a gallizon coats. Thick coats are not recommended with anything I use, any thing oil base will maybe never dry if too thick.Most products go on in multiple coats with maybe 4 or 5 being considered a deluxe floor job. 

The paint industry has tools for measuring coat thickness, I think they read in mils! Only exception I can think of to the multiple coat thing is epoxy type finishes and that's a whole 'nother game.

coxy

my thoughts where to just put the molding on the floor base then make a 1/4in mark/border around the room then just pour the buckets down till it was even walk away and let harden  :D but you guys just put a wrench in my gears  :) so if I am thinking this right when they put it on a gym floor there is lots of coatings to get it that thick  the reason wanting it that thick is it will cover all the cracks to make it smooth my wife says its a pain in the rear when cleaning  the floor to get all MY DIRT out of the cracks every day   happy wife makes me a happy life   thanks for all the info

Magicman

I guess that you could use this Torginol and use it without the flakes.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coxy

we have the quartz stuff on our fire house floor in the bay area its not bad even when wet as far as slippery

cliffreaves

Could you use epoxy?  I don't know a lot about it, but I know you can just pour it on and leave it to dry. 

coxy

ill have to look in to that     I am by no means a carpenter or a painter  just a tree killer

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: coxy on August 17, 2016, 12:06:54 PM
the reason wanting it that thick is it will cover all the cracks to make it smooth my wife says its a pain in the rear when cleaning  the floor to get all MY DIRT out of the cracks every day   happy wife makes me a happy life   thanks for all the info

Tell her those cracks are an asset,  they mean you don't have to sweep nearly as often.  The dirt falls into the cracks.  Once the cracks are full then you vacuum them then start over.

If you do want to fill the cracks you can use a large syringe filled with epoxy and fill each crack with it then put on the final finish.  I have seen it done and it looks nice.

coxy

never thought of that  I told you I am dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to this kind of stuff  ;D

Brucer

Epoxy doesn't dry -- it sets. Mix the two components together in the proper proportions and a chemical reaction takes place that causes it to harden. The bonus is that it takes the same amount of time for a thick layer to set as a thin layer.

The thing to watch out for is heat. The chemical reaction generates heat (which is what causes the stuff to set), and if you make it too thick, the heat can't dissipate fast enough. Read the label!

Some epoxies are designed to be painted on and are fairly thick. Others are designed to be poured into a mold or somehow restrained. They flow easily and tend to be self leveling. I used some to seal the surface of a paper press I made for Barb.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Kbeitz

This was done with one coat of expoxy.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

coxy

wonder how good it will hold up with foot traffic

cliffreaves

Thank You Sponsors!