iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

E-Classic: Size of wood for burning

Started by spankyreal, September 18, 2008, 03:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spankyreal

Hello All,

I had my E-Classic delivered today.  The delivery men took a look at the wood I had on hand and suggested I split some of the larger full pieces.  Does anyone have any experience with burning unsplit wood in the E-Classic?  I have read online that the wood boilers would function using unsplit seasoned wood.  IS this not true?

Thank you

Hackberry

The e-classic needs dry wood of 15%-25% moisture content.  I'm not taking any  chances with my first season of burning the e.  I've got 10 cords cut and split like you would have for a fireplace.  I also have 8 cords of round 6"-8" ready to go.  I plan on mixing them as the season goes.  With time we will all find out whats best.  Good luck, let us know when it's up and running.  Hackberry

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Hackberry on September 18, 2008, 03:53:43 PM
The e-classic needs dry wood of 15%-25% moisture content. 

That's something that they don't tell you in the brochure!

Tom

Hackberry

I found the info in their brochure under How Combustion Works.  Look under stage one.  It says  wood of 15%-25% will burn better and give off more heat.  It does not say you have to use that dry of wood, but I'm guessing the boiler will work better if you do. Hope this helps. Hackberry

beenthere

The less water that has to be boiled out of the wood, the sooner that energy can go to heating.  Simple fact of the process.
Below 30% moisture content, at least the water is then not just free water in the wood cells.

Too often we hear the story that these outdoor wood boilers ""will burn green wood"".  That is true, but one just doesn't get much of the wood energy as heat. While burning green wood (considered green when above 30% moisture content), there is considerable smoke and smell coming from the stack.

The smoke and the smell tends to turn neighbors off and tends to incubate the petitions and laws that prohibit wood burning.

I let green wood dry before burning, and rotten wood lay in the woods.  My 2ยข :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

antos_ketcham

I have found with my E-Classic that you don't want to use wood smaller than 6 inch or it smokes more. I have burned large unsplit rounds in it and it has worked just fine.

Pete

Thank You Sponsors!