iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hydraulic lever problem

Started by goatman, August 12, 2018, 08:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goatman

I have a woodmizer 40LT but the hydraulic levers stopped working when I push them down. They work fine when you pull up? Any suggestions for how to fix?

Southside

Open the cover for the hydraulic box, you will see the lever assembly, at the far end of the assembly is a micro switch that rides on a cam and activates the hydraulic pump when the lever is moved, I suspect that one side of the switch or the cam has failed. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

terrifictimbersllc

Sounds like the switch works.  The levers activate the switch through an assembly which you'll need to open up and understand.

If yours is like mine, each of the 6 levers pushes on its own "stylus". Each of the 6 "stylus"s are secured to a common rod with a set screw. At the right end of the rod is another stylus, which pushes on the micro switch which completes the circuit to turn on the hydraulic pump(s) through the small terminals of the solenoid(s). There must be no slop in a lever pressing on its stylus or the rod in turn transmitting the motion to the switch stylus, for it all to work reliably.

If the problem is more than one lever it is likely that the microswitch button is not being depressed enough, which requires a very small adjustment of the stylus that pushes on this switch. Unlock the set screw and re-tighten it carefully to tighten up the action of the rocker assembly on the switch button. My assembly has metric set screws, so a metric allen wrench is needed. Don't strip out the set screw or you'll need to buy another stylus ($25), or rethread it for a larger screw (i did 10-32 in it).

The switch button is plastic which can be worn over time by the metal of the stylus, one reason why a tiny adjustment might be needed.  You can test if this is the case, with the assembly case opened up,  by putting the right feeler gauge between the button and the stylus and seeing if this "shim" fixes the problem. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, goatman!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MartyParsons

Hello,
  What year is your LT40HD?
Marty

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

goatman

The LT40 I have is a 1998 model, the problem isn't the micro switch it works fine, the problem is when I pull up on the levers the pin comes out and pushes on the rod but when I push down the pins go in away from the rod.
Quote from: MartyParsons on August 13, 2018, 07:40:36 AM
Hello,
 What year is your LT40HD?
Marty

MartyParsons

Hello, 

Here are some pictures. The mills from 98 through 2001 had some of the pins that were soft metal. They now harden these pins. I am not sure this is your issue being all of the valves are not working. But you should be able to see how this works. I would loosen all of the paddles and start at centering the first pin on the spool end that has the indent then move toward the micro switch. Each time you adjust one go back and recheck. 
I

Hope this helps. 
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

goatman

Thanks Marty great pictures this is good info.

PAmizerman

Any time I've had that issue an adjustment on the micro switch was the trick
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Thank You Sponsors!