iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

utv's

Started by xlogger, February 10, 2018, 04:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I'm thinking about retiring my golf cart and getting a side by side. Checking to see what experience you guys here have had with ones you have. I've looked at the Polaris  and going to look at Kubota. Is poper steering a biggie? Lots more $ on the Polaris. I saw a review on the gator and it was not good.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

TKehl

Depends on how you drive it.  Laughed at my dad getting power steering on a 4 wheeler.  But, as he said, it's cheaper than another shoulder surgery and doesn't yank the handlebars driving over a log.

Those Kubota's are tougher than most out there.  Built like 2 seater tractors.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Claybraker

I've got a Ranger 800  EPS( now discontinued) with power steering. No problems with it.  My brother bought a Gator and after a year he traded for a Ranger 900 EPS  He spent more time taking the Gator back and forth to the dealer than he did using it. Power steering is handy.  Probably more important at higher speeds on rough terrain. Once you get above 40mph or so you'll really appreciate it.

starmac

It also depends a lot on how you plan to use it. The kubotas are built heavy, but not as good for off road as others.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Bruno of NH

Mahindra has one it's made in the US i belive
Might be worth checking out
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

garyfg

I have a Yamaha Viking  with power steering I like.

snowstorm

My general has ps I would not buy anything without it. With out it it's many more turns of the wheel lock to lock. I rented a ranger in alaska last spring. It was ok. But your pretty busy turning the wheel to make any speed . A general is pretty hard to beat. 100 go. Rides very good handles  very well and has a dump body. And I was told Polaris in goo g to replace  the drive line. To a shaft with c.v.joints.my only complaint was the front end noise

Dave Shepard

We have a Kubota RTV1140CPX with 2200 hours . Great machine, slow for some, definitely not sporty. We also have a new Gator 825i. Sporty, nowhere near the machine the Kubota is, sounds like a Detroit log skidder. Has a couple of issues since new that need to be checked out.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

YellowHammer

I have a Polaris Ranger diesel.  We used to have a fleet of 4 wheelers, but we sold all but one Honda because everyone drove the Ranger.  Very low CG, but will go through swamps with ease and side crawl hills that would flip our Honda.  Has one wheel drive "turf" mode so won't tear up the grass and saves on tire wear.   Expensive?  Yes. But it's never been to the shop.  We put a lot of miles on them.   

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

repmma

I have a Ranger 570.  We use it around the property, plow the drive way and some trail riding.  For more of a work rig I think I'd go with a Kubota.   The Ranger is doing okay but I'm not convinced quite yet.  Kubota is going to be more expensive I'm betting.  Kawasaki Mule was the other rig I debated on, doesn't go as fast as the Ranger but again I question if it might be a better work machine.  If you get a Ranger and want to plow don't do a Rapid Mount, I ripped my bumper off fairly quickly thanks to that setup.
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

xlogger

I"m not worried about speed, my age slow is good. Really don't need 4 wheel drive but think I want it. We had about 10" snow a few weeks ago and golf cart would not go in it. That don't happen much here. I'd like to get a good used one but not seen one for sale lately. I hate paying all the extra tax. My hardest use for it would probably going up to area where I cut logs into length and bring ends down to OWB, other than riding it around at end of day with a Bud light looking at what I did that day and thinking about what I'm going to cut tomorrow.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

repmma

My father bought a Chinese knock off of a rhino.  I will say he has worked the heck out of it and it has held up very well.  Can't remember the brand but there are a handful of the knockoffs out there.  Might be worth looking into for the savings.
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

PA_Walnut

Was really leaning Polaris, but ended up with Kubota RTV for a couple reasons:

Workhorse: most people I know with farms or construction go with Kubota.
Service: local dealer is very reputable and service is great.
Diesel: everything we run is diesel, so wanna stay with it. It has a 3 cylinder that is a mule. Steiner uses them in there tractors too.
Hydraulics: has hydraulics in rear for implements and/or dump.
Power Steering: Yes, it makes a difference. I use the hitch on it to move my mill and edger around. Works great!

Not fast, but gets used EVERY single day. There's also aftermarket turbo kit for it that REALLY makes a difference.  ;D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Kbeitz

You can always make your own....

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

coxy

i have a cub cadet 500 its great but will say i should have went to the 700 for a grand more it has 12in of ground clearance that is great for jumping over rocks and logs its not a speed demon by any means 45mph down hill to the floor  i like the 4x4 options to lock all 4 only did it once just to see most of the time its 2 wheel drive in less a lot of snow up hill of a mud bog in the spring I'm getting the 700     

snowstorm

Cat has one now. Made by textron off road that is really a arctic cat

Dave Shepard

Interesting. The New Holland one's are Textron, also.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

coxy

Quote from: snowstorm on February 11, 2018, 02:07:07 PM
don't know why cat would ruin there good name by putting it on an artic crap  :-X :D :D

snowstorm

DR_Buck

I have  JD Gator 825i.   Have had it for several years and have never had any issues with it.   This in its self is amazing as I am hard on equipment and often fail at routine maintenance.   ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

samandothers

My brother has a Kubota and likes it.  It does ride rough compared to my 4 wheeler, but they are for different uses. He bought a gas unit as he did not have other diesel equipment.

Skeans1

Quote from: coxy on February 11, 2018, 05:21:03 PM
Quote from: snowstorm on February 11, 2018, 02:07:07 PM
don't know why cat would ruin there good name by putting it on an artic crap  :-X :D :D
Out here Cat doesn't have such a good name other then the 568.

Skeans1

I have an older rtv 900 with little issues we spray timber and carry saws where we can with it or carry the local ODF( stream and wildlife ) checkers for the state out to job out if possible only had to replace a driveshaft and a wheel end once in 2k hours.

xlogger

At the prices for new ones my golf cart is looking better everyday. I miss a good deal at a sale a few months ago. Maybe I'll keep looking for a used one, I don't have to be in a hurry.

coxy

i paid less than 9000 for mine

Thank You Sponsors!