iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on April 12, 2019, 07:13:08 AM
Quote from: Bruno of NH on April 12, 2019, 06:41:16 AM
When I get the new mill I will have to give them a shot.
Dawg what engine do you have on your mill?
I got the 38hp gas...it does really good for the logs I saw.  Never hesitates to gitty up and go!
That's what I ordered
I couldn't afford the extra $4,000. For the Yarnmar this time 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Woodpecker52

I sharpen a blade it takes two country songs and two country songs to set it,manual setter.  The setter makes all the difference in the world, I would not think of sharpening a blade with out setting it now.  I get about 20 logs between sharpening.  Still on original box of double hards I got with the mill, broke 4, ate steel with 2.( 10 degrees blades woodmizers)  Cutting cypress.  I like to over set a little more around 30 makes a better clean out.  I use a modified strongway chain saw sharpener to sharpen (has head degree adjustability) and pink ceramic 5 inch stone.  The sharpener is a BMT100 I picked up on ebay for $114 only missing the stand and side rods no big deal.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Bandmill Bandit

Peter
I have had a bit of the "need more meat" as you so aptly put it,  to chew on as well.

I now run my tension maxed to the pin on my gauge and keep it there. Haven't noticed it since I been doing that.

Also on engine choice; I have run, maintained, and rebuilt many engines from a 3HP (gas) to 4406 Cats, 3208 Cats, and even DV550 IH and a slew of others. Every one had its place, it strength, and weakness. They were all good when looked after well. 

I debated on the diesel/gas issue when I bought my mill too. I went with the Kohler CH745 EFI 28 HP Gas which to day is a 34HP after a chip mod. 

Diesel would be nice BUT after having run a few other LT40 mills with the diesel and the fact that I have no other diesel burners I can say I am not impressed to the point where I regret my choice of engines. The Kohler is a good solid engine that is easy to look after, sips fuel and starts well.       
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Peter Drouin

I max the tension too. I turn it till I can't turn it anymore. ;D 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

PA_Walnut

Quote from: YellowHammer on April 10, 2019, 02:05:18 PMGood review of the carbides.  I've got a couple coming.

@YellowHammer you will like them. Especially when utilizing that WIDE now. Other blades pale in comparison when doing super-wide cuts. However, you can do to 2" .055's, so you may find that they do ok. I also believe you can get 2" carbides which would totally be the bomb. I have 1-1/4's, but just for 1-1/2's and like them even better. They are thin, being even a little less than .045's, but the carbide actually has alternating teeth, which require less set than standard blades. So, less kerf and sharper medium=win, for both speed and quality.

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Southside

I asked and have been told a 2" won't fit on a 70. Do you know of someone who has done it? I would try them for sure. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

Do you folks think I should try one with my new mill/lt40 wide 38hp gas
I mill a lot of wide slabs,some of the pine has lots of knots.
You would be surprised how many folks want lots of knots in the pine slabs.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Southside

Carbide?  Lawg Dawg uses them with the 38 HP and a 40 wide and has had good luck.  I do saw both white and yellow pine and will say that the knots in white pine do present more problems for what it's worth. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

I have been running Ripper 37's in a 7° and like them.
I was told they are like the Woodmizer turbo 7°
I have Kasco 4° for the real knotty stuff.
They give a smooth finish on the slabs.
I get many sharpenings out of the Rippers

Magicman

Personally, I would continue to use what is already doing a good sawing job for you since you are not a "high production" operation.  Chasing blades can be a vicious circle.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

The Rippers work great for me.
I can buy 15 , 10 , or 5 at a time and they all cost the same.
I have never had one brake on me.

4x4American

Quote from: Southside on April 13, 2019, 09:16:34 AM
I asked and have been told a 2" won't fit on a 70. Do you know of someone who has done it? I would try them for sure.
I have some 2" blades to try on my mill, I haven't gotten around to it yet though
Boy, back in my day..

Southside

Not like you are busy or anything, so get to it and report back!  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

I think the lt40 wide I'm getting runs 1 1/4" bands 

Peter Drouin

8" 220 v  3horse   Good price,

Wood going out, 

more.

6x8x24'

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bruno of NH

TimGA

Nice Pete,   Those are some long ones.
                   Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

Peter Drouin

The carbide blades do well. BUT,  I sharpen 10 with my new diamond wheel and turn the feed up as I do with the reg blades. Put one on and cut like, Well you know.  ;D
I called NY. to talk to the resharp guys. They told me they get one, one blade every 5 or 6 weeks or so. to do. What!!
So I call Indy. They tell me I have to go slow, slow with the feed so the wheel will have time to cut the carbide.
So much for saving time sharpening. Where I save is in the cutting of the logs.
Now I have to do them all over again.  :D :D :D ;)
Good thing I have more boxes of them. ;D
And no more free shipping. The last box of 5 was $404.00.
Will see how this all pans out.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

terrifictimbersllc

Shipping should be free if you just order 60 of them.  :D :o :o :o
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Peter Drouin

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on May 13, 2019, 11:35:25 PM
Shipping should be free if you just order 60 of them.  :D :o :o :o

Maybe I'll just order 120 to get a discount on them.  ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

YellowHammer

When you say slow, you mean like on setting #1?  How many passes to sharpen?  I've got a couple to try, interested to see the feedback.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

I have to do a little more homework. I was sharpening at 5 0r 6. to fast. Do you have a WM 250 CBN?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

YellowHammer

Yes, WM BMS 250 CBN sharpener.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Bandmill Bandit

I set speed at about 3 - 4 ish on my sharpener for the carbides and so far I only do one time around for the blade. You just barely need to "tickle" the tip and it is working great for me.  

Make  sure you use the proper diamond wheel too.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Peter Drouin

I run at 2 or 3. With the double hards, I run 6 +
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!