iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking of buying a straight truck......Know nothing about them

Started by Woodboogah, August 25, 2014, 09:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodboogah

My next item in my list of things to buy may be coming sooner then expected.  I would eventually like to add a smallish straight truck and trailer to my operation, mainly to move equipment.  But would also move my own wood and possibly other peoples equipment if the opportunity presented itself.  I usually have a trucking co. move my skidder.  I called last thursday to schedule a move for today, I thought that was enough time, maybe not?  Did not recieve a call and called again this morning to no answer.  I am not saying I am going to buy a truck today but probably before the winter or early spring (that would be ideal time for me).  I just no nothing about them, I can only assume that its expensive to maintain.  Any advice, tips, suggestions, reliable pieces, etc.  I am looking to soak up a lot of information and would like some first hand knowledge.  Thanks! 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

barbender

I've seen opinions ranging from "the best thing I ever did" to "the worst mistake I ever made".  Personally, if I were making a go of it with a cable skidder, I would want a truck in decent shape with a loader, and a tag trailer big enough to move the skidder. You could use the truck to sort wood on the landing, and do firewood and specialty loads. I would leave most of the trucking to someone else.
Too many irons in the fire

Woodboogah

That is my goal.  I dont think taking a day out of the woods to haul to the mill would be economically feasible.  I do want to haul firewood for myself for sugaring and just burning at home as well as sort wood myself.  Looking for a a truck on the smaller side with loader and a trailer but does not have to be together.  The trailer could come at a later date.  Could probably find uses for it around the farm as well.  Move tractor for brush hog jobs, etc.  Thanks

Autocar

If your thinking about a loader and trailer you might as well look at a tandem axle truck with air brakes. Put a loader on a single axle and your legal hauling weight will be cut to nothing at least with a tandem your be safe pulling a equipment trailer and you can haul a load of logs if need be. I wouldn't trade my tri axle for nothing it cost me but when I want to move my equipment it gets done and trucking logs gives me some time off  :D .
Bill

snowstorm

if you dont know anything about trucks dont buy one. and if you cant work on it yourself dont buy one. do you have a class a licences?

HiTech

I know a guy who has a 450 class single axle truck and a trailer with a small loader on it. I think the trailer might gross out at 14,000lb. I am not sure what he can haul for board feet but he seems happy. A small jag on the truck and the trailer full. I am guessing a 1,000 to 1,500 ft. He hauls logs and firewood. Just does small jobs. He is also retired and I guess this is his hobby.

Ohio Logger

Keep in mind the regulatory hassle you get with a truck. Personally it's not worth it to me. But I've got multiple options to get my equipment hauled. People I know and trust. If I was in your shoes might be different. If you're mechanically minded, I would recommend an older pre emissions model. That would be 2003 or older. That's just my two cents FWIW.

Woodboogah

No I do not have my A but I have time to get it and something I should have anyways.  I am mechanically inclined and should be able to do most repairs, learn if I cannot.  It would benefit me greatly with small tree jobs where there is not a full truck load of wood to get rid out.  I can haul it and I have the room to store it if need be.  A lot of thinking to do I guess.  We will see over some time.  Any brand of truck/engine more reliable/dependable over another or is that like asking if you like green or orange machines?  Thanks

Ohio Logger

I'm partial to cats, but they are a bit more expensive to work on. They all have good models and bad ones. I had good success with a Cat C12. Good fuel mileage too. I have heard about things about Detroit 12.7 liter.  Don't know so much about the newer Cummins, but the old big cam models were good. IMHO, you might want to stick with the smaller block engines like, Cat c12 or Detroit 12.7. Not sure what the comparable Cummins would
be. They should give better fuel economy with adequate power. But maybe you have lots of hills. Have fun. It's always scary buying a (new) used equipment. Good hunting:-)

snowstorm

all the 60 series detriot are good. most all the cummins.

woodmills1

I am on the smaller side for trucking, but also saw with a woodmizer and make firewood with the small multitek.  I have a chevy c4500 4by dump and I pull a blue ox 7 ton log loading trailer.  I can get nearly 4 cord of fire wood or nearly 2000 bd ft of logs.  Firewood gets me 200 to 300 and the logs go from 300 to 500 bucks per load.  I pick up for tree servies with no log truck and will haul out there junk also so don't pay for any of it.  My insurance is way low compared to a log truck.

My dream would be the bigger blue ox, with 2 double tired axels, hauling it with a 4 by fl 70 freightliner crew cab.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Maine372

in your shoes I would look for a single axle dump truck. put some sides on it so it will haul 3 or 4 cords of firewood. then get a tandem axle trailer to haul your skidder with.

if you need to move wood you can add bunks to the trailer and load it from a brow or with a tractor or bobcat.

Thank You Sponsors!