iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dawn Redwood finally dead?

Started by JUNEBUG 88, September 10, 2010, 04:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JUNEBUG 88

In regards to previous post: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,35441.msg512733.html#msg512733

The tree had good growth in 2009 and then in 2010 there was barely any new growth and several new dead branches appearing. No new squirrel attacks.

1week ago the tree had the leaves or needles on it and still looking nice & green with no dead branches that we had not trimmed off.
We got home last Tues. and all the leaves or needles were gone and nearly every branch is dead.  :(

What is weird, is  the few tiny live branches have tiny leaf buds opening up. The leaves on the ground are shriveled and greenish not the normal orange like they are in Late fall when they usually drop. All of our trees are stressed because of the lack of water it would cost too much to water all the 40+ mature trees on 1 acre. We have never seen this happen to this tree though. If it does not come back next year does it at least make good firewood?

JUNEBUG 88

After looking after branches more closely the still live branches are leafing out again. The temperatures went below 50 degrees last week but are now again above 70 during the day, does the tree think it is Spring? All the leaves/needles that dropped are extremely brittle and turn to crumbs when touched. The tree is 12 years old and we have never seen this before.

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

colorblind_jimmy

Dawn Redwoods are deciduous. The first time mine dropped their leaves I called the landscaper - turns out they do that every year here in NC. The trees, that is, not the landscapers.

Thank You Sponsors!