iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling Dawn Redwood on LT-35

Started by Ruffneck, July 13, 2016, 09:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffneck

Buddy has a Dawn Redwood, he is hoping to get a slab, approx 3-4" thick, live edge, about 7-8 feet long or so and somewhere between 30-36" deep. I think I may be able to manage 31 inches wide.

Is there any value to the Dawn Redwood lumber?

WV Sawmiller

If you do please post with pictures about how you are going to cut something that wide on an LT 35. I thought about 23 inches was the limit.

I cut some 20" boards this week and edged the flitches next to the full width cant and about 2- 4/4 flitches was all I could work with at a time.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ruffneck

Specs. say it will do a 32 inch log and 23 inch wide board. I've done a 32 inch fir before and it took some chipping away to make it work. I can envision cutting the log on two sides as deep as I can go, but I think it will end up being 24 inches thick...  :D

opticsguy

Dawn Redwood  = Metasequoia Glyptostroboids if I remember correctly.  Thought to be an extinct species way way way back in time close to the Dinosaurs.  Around or prior to WW II a native grove was found in deep in china, cuttings were made and transplanted in the most exotic gardens around the world and now often seen as a landscape tree.  I have two.  One of the residential streets in Vancouver Canada has block after block of these trees lining the roadway.  Would love to see some pics of the cut slabs.
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Ruffneck on July 13, 2016, 10:09:57 PM
Specs. say it will do a 32 inch log and 23 inch wide board. I've done a 32 inch fir before and it took some chipping away to make it work. I can envision cutting the log on two sides as deep as I can go, but I think it will end up being 24 inches thick...  :D

Guess I'm confused (again). I thought you were saying you planned to cut a 31" wide slab.

I have cut 30"+ diameter logs  and they are generally a pain but manageable but I have never been able to cut over 23" wide board/flitch.

Sounds like you are planning a seriously thick slab. If you are looking for an off-bearer to move it - I am busy that year :D. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!