iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking at a Big Green Egg

Started by Sonofman, February 14, 2013, 08:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonofman

I saw a Big Green Egg in a local hardware store today, it is the medium size with the cradle (or whatever it is called) with wheels and the 2 side tables for $650. I wanted to know if this is a good price or not.
Located due west of Due West.

Jasperfield

Yes, it is. I don't recall what I paid for my medium egg, but it was more than that.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'd hate to have to buy a dozen eggs.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Sonofman

Yea, Poston, I would hate to at that price, but everyone raves about these things about how good they slow cook and smoke food, so if this price is good, I will pull the trigger tomorrow. Thanks for the response, Jasperfield, I have to go get some rope for my OWB door anyway.

Weekend_Sawyer

If you buy one I would suggest you buy the Plate-setter (diffuser). It looks like a pizza stone with legs that provides indirect heat for slow cooking and cooking things like pots of beans, cornbread, apple pies and such. I haven't made an apple pie... yet.

Last night I fired up the egg to make my valentine her dinner, I made a double measure of cornbread and a foil packet of cut up potatoes and onions. With the plate-setter in place and the grill grate over that, I started the potatoes for about a half hour, then put my cast iron frying pan with the cornbread batter in it on. When the cornbread was done I took the plate-setter off and let the grill run up to 450 degrees with just the grill on. moved the potatoes to a cooler corner and put NY strips over the hottest area, seared them and then moved them to a cooler spot to finish and get a little smoky.

This was one well received meal!
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Sonofman

Thanks, WS, I will look into getting one. I am also thinking about a pizza stone as well. But first, I have to get the top draft control, the metal one. Evidently I got a good deal on the Egg cause it was a display model and that is missing. I am going to make sure the store I bought it from does not have it, if they do not, I will order one from BGE.

Weekend_Sawyer

It must have it. You wolnt be able to control your temps without it.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

sweetjetskier

Just bought a large Big Green Egg last thursday and it is one of my best purchases to date.

It is a little daunting at first, but some trial error and I am comfortable with cooking on it.

We were going to get another Weber to replace one that was destroyed in Hurricane sandy, BGE was a much better choice IMO.
Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

Sonofman

I agree, sweet. As I become more familiar with mine, I like it more, it becomes more usefull. I smoked a turkey brest the other weekend and gave half of it to some friends. The demanded to know where I had gotten it. I had to show them the egg before they believed me. They are now looking at getting one.

den

Search...Big Green Egg table plans.
You can build your own table.
Homelite SuperXL, 360, Super2, Stihl MS251CB-E, Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul, Wallenstein BXM-42

Thank You Sponsors!