iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl310 or Jonsered 2159???

Started by turkeyhtrb, March 08, 2009, 05:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyhtrb

Just cutting firewood for the house. The prices i have put the Jonsered at about $100.00 more then the Stihl. Any thoughts??

Rocky_J

They are not comparable models. The 310 is from Stihl's cheapest base homeowner line while the Husky 359 is a much better design.

ladylake

It's like Rocky said and I think Stihl has their HP numbers over rated on their homeowner saws.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

John Mc

Quote from: Rocky_J on March 08, 2009, 05:52:23 PM
They are not comparable models. The 310 is from Stihl's cheapest base homeowner line while the Husky 359 is a much better design.

turkeyhtrb - You may already know this, but the Jonsered 2159 is basically the twin sister of the Husky 359. Different color, different handle, but the guts are the same. They're both good saws for the money. Last I checked, I could get a 2159 for about $520 with bar and chain -- that may have been a sale price, and was 6+ months ago. Things have probably changed since then.

Rocky - My Stihl catalog says that the 310 is one of their "midrange" saws -- one step up from their "occasional use" saws. Are they being optimistic in calling it a midrange? Or perhaps they just bumped it up because it's got a larger engine than their occasional use saws?

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Rocky_J

John,
The 310 is the same 290-310-390 that Stihl has been making for well over 10 years now. They are all based on the same one hundred ninety nine dollar 029 that Stihl was selling 12-14 years ago. It's a decent homeowner saw, but it's a plastic clamshell design that is essentially a 'throw away'.

Red 93 L1 #3383

I own a 310 and for the money it's a good saw.  If I would have known about this site back when I bought it I may have bought the 361 instead.  Not having much money & needing a better saw than the 42cc Craftsman that I had I bought the 310.  I've had mine for a couple years now and so far so good.  I'm a Stihl man myself, but Husq. makes a good saw.  If you can afford it & you want to get alot of years out of it you won't regret buying a "PRO" grade saw.  On the other hand if you think you won't need it in 10 years ( you plan to move to a different house w/ out a wood stove / fireplace ) than you may as well save the money on the saw and take the family somewhere nice to eat.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

Cut4fun

Quote from: Rocky_J on March 08, 2009, 09:14:57 PM
John,
It's a decent homeowner saw, but it's a plastic clamshell design that is essentially a 'throw away'.

So true, clamshell.  It will run good, but when you do have to work on it you will be calling it a sob, especially on a piston or ring job  :D.
I would go 2159/359

zackman1801

the 2159 is essentially the same saw as the 359 and the 357. The 2159 is going to be more of a PRO type saw as the 310 is going to be a homeowner type saw. But as it goes the question remains as to what your doing with it. I ran a ms310 once and i like it ok, wasnt as fast as my 365 but its to be expected. My little 357 would cut circles around a 310 though, and its a lot lighter. But then you have to weigh in the extra 100 bucks. thats alot of dough that you can buy chains, bar oil, gas, 2 stroke oil, tools, safety equipment, anything with. Is it worth it to have a Pro grade saw that you paid more for.
I have also seen that people talk about the 290 class of saws as they are going to last a very short period of time and then be junk. Its not true, i know people who have had their saws for 10 or more years and have not had one problem. If you take care of it, keep the oil mixed and run it with a sharp chain your not going to wear out a saw that quickly.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

John Mc

Quote from: zackman1801 on March 16, 2009, 04:55:39 PM
the 2159 is essentially the same saw as the 359 and the 357.

I was under the impression that the 357 was a somewhat significant step up from the 359. The price difference sure is significant ($150?). Is the difference mainly hype, or is there really something to it? I'm aware of the difference in HP specs. Wondering if there is anything else in the construction of the saws to account for the price difference.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Maineloggerkid

The 357 is more of a screamer, from my personal experience. I have used my neighbor's quite a bit, and it will cut very well. In softwoods, It will almost hang with a 372. The 359 is a quality saw as well. I have a friend who uses one logging everyday, it just isn't quite up to XP status.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

zackman1801

Quote from: John Mc on March 16, 2009, 05:19:13 PM

I was under the impression that the 357 was a somewhat significant step up from the 359. The price difference sure is significant ($150?). Is the difference mainly hype, or is there really something to it? I'm aware of the difference in HP specs. Wondering if there is anything else in the construction of the saws to account for the price difference.

Ive been told that it was very insignificant the difference in the two saws. I know that the piston and jug in the 359 are bigger and it has a tad more HP, but they are made almost the same and some will actually qualify the 359 as pro grade. Im really not a good one to ask so..... ::)
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

John Mc

Quote from: zackman1801 on March 16, 2009, 09:17:51 PM
I know that the piston and jug in the 359 are bigger and it has a tad more HP, but they are made almost the same and some will actually qualify the 359 as pro grade.

Actually, the 357XP is rated about 10+% higher HP than the 359. Not sure how the torque compares, however.

SawTroll

Quote from: John Mc on March 16, 2009, 10:01:58 PM
Quote from: zackman1801 on March 16, 2009, 09:17:51 PM
I know that the piston and jug in the 359 are bigger and it has a tad more HP, but they are made almost the same and some will actually qualify the 359 as pro grade.

Actually, the 357XP is rated about 10+% higher HP than the 359. Not sure how the torque compares, however.

Max torque (low end) is about the same, but the 357xp keeps the torque up better at higher rpms.
Information collector.

VT_Forestry

I bought my 310 6 years ago and have never had any problems with it.  Like it was said before, if you take care of something it will last.  I've cut lots of firewood with it, cleared lots of brush, dropped countless trees and it's just as good as the day I bought it...just my 2 cents :)
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Thank You Sponsors!