iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vacutherm iDry input

Started by schwanee, August 04, 2018, 07:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Quote from: NC Daniel on July 22, 2019, 10:38:15 AM
@Brad_bb For 12'L x 42"W x 8/4 with 3/4 stickers I get 1680 BF, one of us is off by a factor of 2.

A perfect 12/4 load comes to 2184 BF, if my math is right.
You are correct, I forgot to multiply by 2 for the thickness.  Still, it's only 1680, just a bit better than a 5/4 load.  And that 1680 assumes an average of 42" slabs, which is a liberal assumption in my opinion.  Reality would probably be lower.  And have 8/4 boards to fill it out, will not always be possible.  My whole point is to do your own math for payback to determine if it's worth it for you.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Stephen1

I am drying 3 loads of 4/4 pine for my son in law right now and it was dry in 3 days. it is 800 bd ft of 4/4 per load with 4 large 3" x 32" 13' sugar maple slabs on top also. I just keep lifting the maple off and replacing. I can switch it out in 15 minutes. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

E-Tex

@Stephen1
@NC Daniel
@Just Right
@Glenn1
@C_Koon
@Busysawyer

It's been 5-6 weeks since any updates on this thread.

I'm curious of your drying successes/challenges.
Have you come up with prices for drying for others?
How many loads are you running a month?
Average bf size of loads
Making money?
Any cool pics?

Any problems with the unit or other unforeseen issues 

Thanks

LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Stephen1

I have done quite well with the IDRY. I have people comng from 2-3 hr away to have thier wood dryed, especially furniture makers who have airdried their wood and now need to build with it. I can give them back kiln dried, sterilized wood 6-8% in under 10 days. They love it.
I run 10 day cycle, prorate the 2nd or 3rd cycle dependiing on how green and thick the wood is.
I dried 1800 bd ft  of pine for my son-in-law and had it ready for his project in under 10 days. The pine had been sawn in april, it was in and out of the kiln in 4 days per load. we had to split the load to make it fit as it was 8-10-12' long so it all did not go in at once. Each bundle was dry in 2-3 days
We average 12-1500 bd ft per load. We have had paying lumber in the kiln since the 2nd load.
The 2000 bd ft comes from a fulll load of 4/4 13' long. We haven't  run into that yet.
I also put in big thick slabs with other wood and monitor as I empty and fill the kiln. 
I mix loads of wood all the time. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

C_Koon

So far I've been pleased with the iDRY.   I mostly dry my own lumber and slabs to sell.  It seems like I'm getting better results when i start the kiln off at 130 degrees for several days rather than 160.   Mainly less checking.  Trying to maximize space in the kiln can be a real challenge with slabs. 

Stephen1

Quote from: C_Koon on September 03, 2019, 10:18:35 PM
So far I've been pleased with the iDRY.   I mostly dry my own lumber and slabs to sell.  It seems like I'm getting better results when i start the kiln off at 130 degrees for several days rather than 160.   Mainly less checking.  Trying to maximize space in the kiln can be a real challenge with slabs.  
Are you taking the lumber right off the mill and using the low power setting? 
Is it just the slabs? or are you using the LP for the lumber also?

NC Daniel

I have only dried my own lumber so no pricing, but I think the $0.10 per bdft per day that's been thrown around is a good starting point. I did have a part fail on my machine and I received the replacement next day under warranty. So A+ on the customer service there. Took 5-10 mins to replace the part.
To me the big advantage of the iDRY that is not really directly been talked about much is how it allows you have less/turnover faster your inventory. From what I see the most efficient practice for DH Kilns is to let your lumber air dry and then finish it off with the kiln. That means maybe 6 months to a year (maybe even longer for thick slabs) before you can sell the lumber for maximum value. It also means you have to have a tremendous amount of wood sitting around air drying in order to keep your DH kiln busy. There is a hardwood mill close by to me that has mountains of lumber air drying, every time I drive by I'm glad I chose to go with an iDRY. Being able to go from a tree to sellable kiln dried product in a couple weeks is priceless for me. These problems are alleviated if you are drying for other people because then you aren't sitting on the inventory. However, my interest is in producing the highest quality lumber I can to sell, not drying for other people although I may in the future. For me the lumber business is currently just a very labor and capital intensive hobby/side business. I have a different full time job but I hope to be able to build up the reputation and clientele to make the swap to full time lumber business sooner than later.
iDRY Standard

Just Right

ETex

I am sure the rest of the guys are like me.  Loading and unloading the IDRY.  Been running mine wide open since I put it in service and have a waiting list already.  I have only had 4 small slabs of my own wood dried in it so far.  The rest of the time it is full of customers wood.  I haven't had any failures with the machine so to speak.  But  . . . .down here in GA with the summertime thunderstorms . . . . . if there is any power spikes or hiccups it will need to be checked and I'll have to reset circuit breakers on the machine. Pricing . . . . well I start at a dollar a BF and go up from there. . . . a quarter increase in price for every 1/4 inch.  No body has had a problem with that so far.  I try to run mine as full as I can get it.  If not full I will put some baffling in it to force the air thru the stack.  Power bill for it has been running about 350 or less monthly.  I have had good success with walnut pine pecan sassafrass china berry birch white oak poplar and probably some more that escapes me right at the moment.  The 2 inch white oak that I just unloaded today took just under 4 wks to dry.  Had about 2.5 to 3 weeks air drying before going in the kiln.  Since I only started this business last year,  my biggest challenge is getting enough buildings and sheds built.  I run out of covered space ALOT.  I am thrilled with mine and would love to buy the big boy.  Just can't stomach that price tag!

Book matched quarter sawn Sycamore that I cut and dried for a customer.  40 inch wide and 10 foot long.
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

NC Daniel

Just Right, That's some beautiful stuff!
iDRY Standard

E-Tex

Thanks for all the updates 👍
L2 Sawmill LLC

Just Right

Thank you NC Daniel.  I got a huge sycamore next.  54 in big end and 49 at lil end 10 foot wide.

E Tex you are welcome.

btulloh

That's a big sycamore. Nice end grain.  ;)
HM126

Brad_bb

Is there a log in that picture?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Just Right

LMAO!  Thank y'all for the compliments.  That was the butt log and there is 7 more logs out of that one tree.  

boonesyard

That log's got alotta live edge.  :o 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Stephen1

That will fill the kiln nicely.

E-Tex

are y'all i-dry guys putting top-weight on the stack when drying?

if so, what and how much?

thanks.
L2 Sawmill LLC

Stephen1

Quote from: E-Tex on October 27, 2019, 09:07:12 AM

thanks.
I do not add any weight. The IDRY drys fast so it restricts the movement . Certain wood moves does not really matter how much you try to hold . I find "pretty wood" wood with knots and character moves , good/grade lumber does not. That is why large slabs cost more, yes they are simple to saw, 1 saw cut, but it needs to be thick to allow that sap/hearwood mixture to be balanced when you flatten them. A 13' 30" wide Sugar Maple slab 2.5" thick does not have to twist very much to lose 1" over that distance. 
i sawed 1500bd ft of #1 EWP 10" wide 12' long for my SIL and dried it in 3 days, they nailed it right up on the walls, almost all of it was flat. 
I do place certain wood in different positions in the kiln. It helps weigh down the lower bundles. I seperate longer drying wood by 3x3' so I can fork on and off the trolley.

boonesyard

Quote from: Stephen1 on October 27, 2019, 10:39:32 AM
Quote from: E-Tex on October 27, 2019, 09:07:12 AM

thanks.
I do not add any weight. The IDRY drys fast so it restricts the movement . Certain wood moves does not really matter how much you try to hold . I find "pretty wood" wood with knots and character moves , good/grade lumber does not. That is why large slabs cost more, yes they are simple to saw, 1 saw cut, but it needs to be thick to allow that sap/hearwood mixture to be balanced when you flatten them. A 13' 30" wide Sugar Maple slab 2.5" thick does not have to twist very much to lose 1" over that distance.
i sawed 1500bd ft of #1 EWP 10" wide 12' long for my SIL and dried it in 3 days, they nailed it right up on the walls, almost all of it was flat.
I do place certain wood in different positions in the kiln. It helps weigh down the lower bundles. I seperate longer drying wood by 3x3' so I can fork on and off the trolley.
I'm less than 2 weeks away from receiving our iDRY. Jim discussed putting 3/4" plywood on top of the pack and using ratchet straps to cinch down the stack. Have you done or tried this method?
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Glenn1

I initially started using ratchet straps and but found that they were more of a hindrance than a help.  There is no need for them since the boards are less stressed in the idry.  Also, opening the kiln regularly to tighten the straps just lets good heat out.  I haven't used anything on top other than plywood to keep the dripping water off the top boards.  

One caveat:  The longer that I have this unit, the better it dries wood.  I don't think that I'm doing anything differently but its been working better than ever.  
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

boonesyard

To everyone/anyone using the iDRY. Have you done much oak? If so, have you tried it green off the saw? If not, how much air drying did you allow before the iDRY? Quality, has it done a good?

I've got quit a bit of oak to do and I know it can have a mind of its own.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Stephen1

Quote from: Glenn1 on October 29, 2019, 07:39:43 PM
I initially started using ratchet straps and but found that they were more of a hindrance than a help.  There is no need for them since the boards are less stressed in the idry.  Also, opening the kiln regularly to tighten the straps just lets good heat out.  I haven't used anything on top other than plywood to keep the dripping water off the top boards.  

One caveat:  The longer that I have this unit, the better it dries wood.  I don't think that I'm doing anything differently but its been working better than ever.  
glenn1, I believe that more moisture condenses on the inside of the kiln as the outer temperature drops. During the summer my shop would be around 80-90 F . The kikn would heat up the 150-160 quite fast but the wood was not dry. Now as the shop temp is around the 60F the kiln takes longer to get to the 160F but when it get there the wood is dry. I was even thinking of adding a airconditioner to the shop next summer. 
Quote from: boonesyard on November 01, 2019, 03:09:19 PM
To everyone/anyone using the iDRY. Have you done much oak? If so, have you tried it green off the saw? If not, how much air drying did you allow before the iDRY? Quality, has it done a good?

I have not put any green oak-right off the mill yet. I have dried 2000 bd ft in 4 amounts. White and Red, both came out of the kiln great. Both had been air dried for a long time.
On another load, I just pulled 3" 13' red oak slabs out of the Kiln this week. They were air dried for 2 years. I had them in the kiln for 8 days They look very nice, no honeycomb, around the 8-10% .
I am going to resaw them for the gentleman. Who ever sawed this wood for the guy did a horrible job, waves, different thickness. I am putting a carbide blade on my mill and will saw them to some sort of constant thickness that he can use. He definitly can not put them thru a planer like they are. I will also get test the moisture of the wood as I take the outer layers off

boonesyard

Quote from: Stephen1 on November 02, 2019, 08:27:56 AM
Quote from: Glenn1 on October 29, 2019, 07:39:43 PM
I initially started using ratchet straps and but found that they were more of a hindrance than a help.  There is no need for them since the boards are less stressed in the idry.  Also, opening the kiln regularly to tighten the straps just lets good heat out.  I haven't used anything on top other than plywood to keep the dripping water off the top boards.  

One caveat:  The longer that I have this unit, the better it dries wood.  I don't think that I'm doing anything differently but its been working better than ever.  
glenn1, I believe that more moisture condenses on the inside of the kiln as the outer temperature drops. During the summer my shop would be around 80-90 F . The kikn would heat up the 150-160 quite fast but the wood was not dry. Now as the shop temp is around the 60F the kiln takes longer to get to the 160F but when it get there the wood is dry. I was even thinking of adding a airconditioner to the shop next summer.
Quote from: boonesyard on November 01, 2019, 03:09:19 PM

I have not put any green oak-right off the mill yet. I have dried 2000 bd ft in 4 amounts. White and Red, both came out of the kiln great. Both had been air dried for a long time.
On another load, I just pulled 3" 13' red oak slabs out of the Kiln this week. They were air dried for 2 years. I had them in the kiln for 8 days They look very nice, no honeycomb, around the 8-10% .
I am going to resaw them for the gentleman. Who ever sawed this wood for the guy did a horrible job, waves, different thickness. I am putting a carbide blade on my mill and will saw them to some sort of constant thickness that he can use. He definitly can not put them thru a planer like they are. I will also get test the moisture of the wood as I take the outer layers off
I keep my shop about 60 degrees in the winter and about 72 in the summer. it'll be interesting to see how the condensation issue plays out. 
I am building a recirc system for the kiln vaccum pump supply water. At the rate of flow (.75gpm) and approx. flow will be 5% of the kiln operating time, that's 54 g/day or 378 g/week. Also, our shop water is extremely hard and can be tough on fixtures and equipment. We'll be able to fill the system with soft water from the house.

I have a a fair amount of oak slabs that have been air drying for some time that should work well. We cut some large red oak 12/4 slabs and a couple of 9" thick mantles for a new home that are going to take some time air drying. I'm not exactly sure how to handle the mantles? Maybe they'll be ready by the time he sells this home and builds the next one!  :D
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Stephen1

You will be suprised at the mantles. I did some pine 11x11 13' long. I put them in 3 times for 6-7 days at a time. Let them sit out for a cycle and them back in. There is a low power cycle which can be used for green oak. I haven't had to use it yet. I will be sawing lots of oak this winter into the spring and see if I get to use that cycle. Jim Parker is only a phone call a way. He has been a lot of help as iget used to the kiln

boonesyard

Quote from: Stephen1 on November 02, 2019, 08:24:42 PM
You will be suprised at the mantles. I did some pine 11x11 13' long. I put them in 3 times for 6-7 days at a time. Let them sit out for a cycle and them back in. There is a low power cycle which can be used for green oak. I haven't had to use it yet. I will be sawing lots of oak this winter into the spring and see if I get to use that cycle. Jim Parker is only a phone call a way. He has been a lot of help as iget used to the kiln
Thanks
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Thank You Sponsors!