iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using lumberjack tools?? what have you made? What are your experiences?

Started by opticsguy, December 15, 2018, 10:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

I just ordered  some log end cutters from Lumberjack tools and am curious what users of the lumberjack tools have made and your comments and thoughts about the tools and more. I suspect a somewhat easy but also steep and long learning curve . . . . 

Thank you.
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

WV Sawmiller

I use their Tenon cutters to make primitive benches and am well pleased with the quality of the workmanship.

A bunch of ash bench legs ready to use

Legs inserted. I trim excess off the top with a Japanese pull saw

A finished cherry bench with Lictenberg "graphics" applied
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

caveman

We ordered some a few years ago.  They seem to be well made but I like the Forstner bits that came with the set less than my Porter Cable bits.  The tenons cut with them while hand holding the drill are not as good as cutting on a lathe but are adequate.  I have not made a jig like Poston's, it may cut better tenons.

We have made a few benches using them. I usually use polyurethane glue and a 3" screw or two on the legs.

Caveman

WV Sawmiller

I concur with Cavey on the Forstner bit. They work fine at a 90 degree angle but I angle my legs and could not get the Forstner started correctly so so I just use a 1.5" spade bit. I used to bury the end of the leg in the bench but found it is much easier to use a 2" slab for the bench and cut off the excess leg tip with the pull saw with set on one side. I also use excess length on the legs then turn the bench upside down on the mill, clamp and set the blade wide at 17" and saw all legs exactly the same height and angle. With seriously curved benches I have to add a 5th leg or they want to fall over backwards due to more weight there. The trick is to guestimate the leg angle correctly - too straight and the bench wants to fall over, too much angle and they extend past the bench and you trip over them.

These were cut out of a sharp curve in a chestnut oak and with 4 legs they want to fall over as center of balance is off so much. The 5th leg solves that problem
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

opticsguy

First, thank you for your replies.  Lumberjack sells self-feed bits for drilling at an angle.  Forstner bits really are not designed to be drilled at an angle hand-held.  Forstners could be used in a drill press at an angle with the wood well secured.  I ordered the self-feed bits with my kit as I already have forstners in my shop.  After the holidays, plan to get started with set up the tools and to practice a lot before committing to a project. I can see a lot variables in construction because of the variability of log dimensions.

sawwood

Caveman is that a Studebaker in one of the photos ? I have seen some of them when I was in high school

Sawwood 
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

caveman

Sawwood, That is a 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk.  It belongs to my dad.  
Caveman

opticsguy

Wow!!!  Can you order a 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk from lumberjack's???   :D

OlJarhead

I'm no expert and still need a better system for clamping the poles/legs etc to the bench but after trying and trying with the logman (failing) I bought the LumberJack tools set and LOVE them.  I'm not a pro by any stretch but given time, a good clamping system and material anyone could get good at it I think and the more I did on my railing the better I got -- and this was the first thing I made with them!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

WV Sawmiller

Eric,

Good to hear from you and great looking rail. Semper fi.
Howard Green

OlJarhead

Thanks Bud :) and Semper Fi!

I'm actually thinking of doing some milling on shares this year (though limitted) for some hardwoods.  Have none and could use some for small woodworking projects and figured that would be an easy way to aquire some.

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

stanmillnc

I've had the LumberJack Tools tenon cutters for a few years now and have made some cool things with them. Some things I've learned along the way:

• I no longer use the fostener bits that came with my kit - I use higher quality (DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc.) self-feed bits instead.
  • I use the JawHorse system to clamp my logs - works great. It's portable, collapses for easy storage, setup at a good working height (waist level) for dealing with high torque, relatively inexpensive, useful for other purposes, etc.
  • The kits from LumberJack Tools come with a range of sizes - I really only use the 2" tenon cutter, sometimes the 1.5". I have never used the smaller bit, but would consider just purchasing the one 2" cutter instead if I was to buy again.
  • The standard openings on the tenon cutters don't accommodate a log much larger in diameter than the tenon you're cutting. I found myself using a draw knife / sawzall on my logs to get them down in diameter enough to fit the opening most times. That is, until I justified buying the XL opening tenon cutter, which now allows me to start with ~ 6" diameter log. This was a big time saver for me.
  • The low RPM drill is a must - no way around this.
  • As you would expect, green softwoods, like Eastern Red Cedar, cut smoothly and easily. Opposite is true for dry oak, hickory, etc.

Old Greenhorn

I am not a woodworker but I make stuff from time to time. just wanted to thank you all for the fine discussion and leads on these tenon cutters and boring tools. I read up elsewhere from things I picked up here. Would love to get a 2" set, but it's a little pricey for me for a single purpose tool. (However if one of you have a older or lower grade one they want to get rid of, maybe we can strike a deal.) 
 Again, thanks for the learning experience. I really would like to make some benches from these slabs and can't figure a better way to make that tenon. I'll just have to save my pennies or find somebody local who has one I might borrow and try.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

breederman

Greenhorn,
There are ways to cut them .😁 I use a hole saw then cut the ring it leaves off and taper the shoulder with a belt sander.
Together we got this !

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: breederman on January 15, 2019, 06:11:12 AM
Greenhorn,
There are ways to cut them .😁 I use a hole saw then cut the ring it leaves off and taper the shoulder with a belt sander.
Neat idea! I can try that! We have snow coming this weekend so I will be doing pre-snow prep, pulling stuff out of the woods and tidying up in a mad dash on Saturday,but then I should get a little time in the shop to mess around.  Any other ideas like that would be appreciated. Better than the draw knife idea I was going to try.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

TKehl

Quote from: stanmillnc on January 14, 2019, 04:29:27 PMI use the JawHorse system to clamp my logs - works great.

Dude...  Just looked at a video of a jawhorse.  I wants one now!!!  

Looks a lot better and quicker than the ratchet straps I've been using.  THANKS FOR SHARING!!!
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

opticsguy

Original poster here and enjoyed the great information provided.  
Finally got around to trying out the new lumberjack tenon cutters, they work perfectly. My first project went well, a steep learning curve but interesting, challenging and fun.   

I had purchased the lumberjack clamping system and it works well as a good solid clamp.  However I find the screw handle for clamping is very very time consuming and seems to require about as much time as cutting tenons and using a drawknife etc.  I agree with stanmillnc about the use of a Jawhorse.  Watching video reviews and comments, this would be a much more practical and time saving tool versus the clamp mentioned above.  So, am now in the market for a Jawhorse.  Anyone know of a 2-for-1 sale?    :-)   

Thankyou!!

TKehl

Not quite 2 for 1, but the Rockwell Jawhorse is $101.80 on Amazon right now (regularly $180) with free shipping.  Rockwell is discontinuing, so they are on sale.  I just bought 2.

On sale at all the big box stores to if they still have them in stock...  

Looks like Worx will keep making them and Tritan, but lighter and not rated for as much weight.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Old Greenhorn

Hey @opticsguy , I just noticed you are from Bellingham, WA. I have a musician friend named Robert Sarazin Blake who is also from Bellingham and tours all over the world. Great story/songwriter and an interesting guy in general. In his stage act he tells folks he comes from the 'most northwest corner of the most northwest state'. That always stuck in my head. I don't suppose you know him of course, but I found it interesting anyway. Sorry for the off-topic post.

opticsguy

Good morning Old Greenhorn,  Do not know your famous friend, guess I am not high up enough in society for such famous people . . .   :laugh: :laugh:    I kind of tend to hide in the forest socializing with moles, mice, and other creatures.  Of course now I must google up your friend to learn more.  Thanks for the information.

Old Greenhorn

Sorry, just finally saw your reply. Not sure you would call him famous. Most musicians have a a hard time making a living these days with what has happened in their industry to funnel any money to corporations. He is a great guy though but you have to have a taste for what he produces, it's not for everyone, but I really like his music and enjoy his company. I have been blessed to know many performers simply by nature of association and being in the right place with the right friends. I live in an area surrounded by backwoods recording studios and great musicians. As a matter of fact, the first time I met Robert, it was at a little concert held in a sawmill shed on a cold rainy April night. Rain dripping through the roof, some cold beer, great tunes, and slab wood all over the place. Just about 1/2 mile through the woods from my house. It was a great night, just a dozen people or so. He was trying out his new set list before a long road trip and the sawmill was available.. so.
:)

Thank You Sponsors!