iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Modern Lumberjack

Started by Jeff, March 03, 2002, 01:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

While messing around on ebay I came across a magazine story they were auctioning off, from a weekly journal called "The Outlook"

Nobody had bid on it so I bid a buck. Well, I won. What I did not know at the time that the article was written about Michigan Logging. Whats so interesting about that?

The Title of the Illustrated article is "The Modern Lumberjack". Always interested in modern logging techniques. Its a good read, even back when it was written. August 2, 1922.

My daughter has typed it out for us, and I now have the original framed and hanging up.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bud Man

Times have changed but by reading this I felt like I was there for the experience.  Reminds me of the quote in the movie "The River Runs Through It"  where the Jacks were said to be as tuff as the handles of the axe's they weilded(sp.)  The article read of Proud Men working for Appreciative Companies, a rare combination in the times we live in now .   An exciting purchase for $1, worthy of framing and posting.  Thank's for sharing !!
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

L. Wakefield

Hi Budman, you got me so confuzzzzed...your letter reads like you were able to zero in on Jeff's picture and read that weeny little print..is that the case, and if so , HOW (LOLOL :D :D :D )?   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

L. Wakefield

Duhh..I just found the link. As Gilda Radnor used to say, 'Never mind..' :-[ ::)   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

Just want everybody to know that L. aint that ditzy. I just added "Click here to read" to help identify the link. I'm pretty sure itrwernt there when L. made her questioning post :D

Texas Ranger

Great story!  I'll give ya  your dollar back for it! ::)

Actually, I have copied it and will use in in a news letter I send out to the landowners in my area.  A little history, even if it is about (gasp!) yankees, is worth the effort. ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Bud Man

Right Don !!    And them "Jack's only moved on to Michiganderland after they had trimmed a few trees in the lower Mississippi Valley and had been taught their skills. Then they sought out the easy small trees of Michigander"yankee-land"  where the work and woods were soft and they didn't have to break a sweat or sharpen their implements as often !! :D :D
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Cedar Eater

Yankees!

I'll have you know my great-great-great-great-great-great grandpere was felling trees in Michigan back in 1710 not long after he got off the boat from France. I still wonder which side we were on in the French and Indian War. There's still a lot of people with French names living in Michigan. Their ancestors were logging here when Mississippi was still part of Spain.

Yankees!  >:( >:( >:(

Show some respect or I'll come down there and feed you some muskrat.  ;D

BTW, great story Jeff. Thanks for sharing it.
Cedar Eater

Jeff

Be sure to give us a little mention in dat der newletter eh Don? ;)

Frank_Pender

Yep, some of us here were born a hundred years too late? 8) 8)  I now understand better what I father use to say to us youngns, "Swamp this place out!".     :D :D
Frank Pender

Tillaway

Hey frank,
You mean your first job wasn't as a swamper? :)  A couple of friends of mine first job in the woods was as a Powder Monkey. :o ;D

Great article Jeff. 8)
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

RavioliKid

Everybody sing!

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay,
I sleep all night and I work all day..."

:D
RavioliKid

Bibbyman

My first job was a gopher.....  
.......Go for this!  Go for that!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) [/color][/glow]
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

timberbeast

Great Stuff!!!  I have some old photos of the logging camp my grandfather worked in which are quite similar to the photos here!  It was on the Parker Spur Road west of today's M-35 between McFarland and Little Lake.  Thanks,  Jeff! :)
Where the heck is my axe???

Texas Ranger

Jeff, I sell your sight and give you fame and fortune every where I turn, why, if I got a nickle for every time I told folks about your site, I'd almost have enough to buy a capucinno!

But, in retrospect, I have not the space to Print the article, gues I'll just have to give this web page out as a point of forestry interest.  

some of my clients are ex-yankees! ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ron Scott

Jeff,
A good historical find relating to Michigan's History.
~Ron

Gordon

Well you sure can't beat that for a buck. ;D
Dang now I'm sounding like a phone ad.
So I'll quit while I'm ahead. It is amazing some of the stuff you can find on E-bay.

Speaking of auctions when is that tree of hope auction going to start Jeff?
Gordon

Forester Frank

Gordon that's a good one. "What can you get these days for a buck?" I like Terry Bradshaw. :D

Jeff that is cool. I have never been on Ebay, but now I am going. See you on the Antiques Road Show and let's get that story on the MFRA web site ya ol' dog you.
Forester Frank

Thank You Sponsors!