iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reuse of resets and straps

Started by Jerry@121247, December 13, 2017, 06:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry@121247

This is my first post.  I have been cutting trees with a Stihl 180 and hit my metal wedge and knocked a few cutters off.  I found a post in January, 2011 where people were talking about reusing presets and straps that had been punched out.
I tried doing that but could not get the strap to fit over the flared preset.  One person said to use the smallest socket for a 1/4" ratchet to beat them on but I had no success.
I do not want to open a discussion about the wisdom of reusing, I simply want to know how the "pros" from years ago made it work.

thecfarm

Jerry@121247,welcome to the forum.
I suppose you mean felling wedges? I use plastic ones. No damage when I hit them. Just orange sawdust.  ;D When I was cutting big trees I had 3 in at a time. Just tap them in. No reason,most times,to really pound on them. That's where the 3 comes in. Just tap one and than the next and next and so on. Each time the wedges will go in just a little.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Are we talking about a 16 inch saw chain? 

Buy another, dont take a chain in the neck over $25.  Get plastic wedges or make a few out of hickory or oak trimmings.
Praise The Lord

Gary_C

I do it all the time with .404 harvester chain and never had a problem. I don't know how well it will work with smaller pitch chain but 404 is OK.

Some presets get slightly bent when you punch out first one and then the other rivet and they can be unusable. As long as I can get the strap started, if it goes on hard I just use my rivet spinner as a press right in the center between the rivets to press the strap on the rivets and then spin them tight. You always have to inspect the head to make sure it is a full mushroom and if not redo with another preset.

I would not reuse if I did not have a press and rivet spinner. If you are using a punch and hammer, don't do it.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Corley5

I reuse straps as long as they're not bent but always use new presets with 3/4 pitch chain.  If you bought a new chain or two a saw shop would probably give you a couple presets ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

maple flats

At the price of new straps and presets I would never risk reusing them. Always have 2 or 3 chains and if one is ruined, change it out. You can however use a hand tool made for field repairs which will break and spin the new.
If you ever saw a chain break in the cut, you would not want to reuse the presets, especially on the lighter gauge chain.
Get some of the plastic wedges, and the longer are better, their taper is slower which helps. Several sources sell links to build or repair chain. It can be done without a breaker or spinner, but I wouldn't.
Set those steel wedges aside, for a museum display.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Jerry@121247

Thank you thecfarm, mike_belben, Gary_c, Corley5, and maple flats for your helpful responses to my question.  You helped me to clearly understand that I am trying to save pennies while not solving the primary problems.  I have purchased plastic wedges and new presets and straps to do the job better.

luvmexfood

If you have a shop locally that makes up chain pretty good chance they have enough short pieces laying around to repair it for you. If you do much business there usually a couple of bucks or in the summer a couple of Wendy's Frosties to share with them.  ::)
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!