iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree oddities Black Cherry mold/fungus & Maple.

Started by SPIKER, January 04, 2007, 08:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPIKER

???  Hey guys:  (wish I had a camera for this one but I don't.)

I had some wind damage last fall which took down some trees, one was a black cherry which was on the North/West corner of the property. late direct sun during summer.   this tree is in a  fence row. may have fence in the bottom 3~4 feet.   it broke / twisted off above this ~5' up.   Inside where it twisted off there is a layer of white ?? "VERY bright white" looks/feels kind of like construction paper or compressed felt.  it is about 1/16 ~1/8" thick. and appears to go most all way around the center of the tree top to bottom, of the split/twisted part, it is around a core of about 8" or so, the tree is probably 24" DBH.   this was a pretty healthy looking tree other than being on the NW edge of a field and in a fence line...  It is also right on the edge of a wash/run off from the field.   just wondering if anyone ran into anything like this.

also One of the Maples that came down in storm has a DUAL center core inside the trunk. something I found when I was bucking it to length.  It appears to have 2 distinct cores, (@~3" appart grown into a single tree.   I didn't count the growth rings but  each ring/core looked to be 2~3" before they merged into single rings with very little if any 8 shaped rings.?

Reason I was asking as I just got done posting about those miss shappen trees in other post and forgot to ask about it in there...

anyhow I had to ask just to see how many other people seen anything like this and if I should cut across the two cores when they get sawn to see WHAT they look like or will this cause some additional crack/checking/warping of the boards?

I don't have a saw so I'll have to take them someplace for this service for now. but just wondering.

mark M

I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

SwampDonkey

It was likely a branch (knot) when the tree was younger, eventually it died and got over grown and you cut near the growth node.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

The "white" may very well be fungus that contributed to weakness that made the tree succeptable to the damage it experienced.  Could be the beginning of heart rot.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I seen similar white in fir that got harvest damage and healed over. Wind comes along and snaps it off at the old scar. I see white fungus then. Some type of but rot fungus I assume.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Some previous wind or other damage might have been the causative agent that allowed the fungus to get a hold in there in the first place.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SPIKER

thanks for info so far, when my digital camera comes in I'll snap some pics.   (yes it's on sale you can pay for it right here, after I paid it should be in with in 3~5 weeks on back order!  she could have said that FIRST...  ::)   Never ask a young girl for help at a electronics store!  I guess I was suckered into the EYE CANDY 8) and lost the prize :D ::)

Bought a SAMSUNG 7.1 megpix camera.   had one on the shelf/display but wouldn't give me any more off for open box.... :(  maybe I ought to call & ask if any came in tomorrow...

Mark M

SwampDonkey

Never heard of a sale on back order items. I suppose they could have had a bunch during the sale and they got sold out. When that happens usually you get a rain check, and not be charged for something you can't carry out the door.  ::)

SPIKER

Ya:  I think it was more of a BAIT & Switch ad. probably only had one or two cameras "in Stock" and that way people go there get in there and say I want this one.  ok we have to order it but we have these more expensive ones on hand ;)  >:(   which they had a bunch of the same brand cameras only slightly higher resolution but were $100+ more.   So I said I wanted the sale one, she said I had to pay for it to get one at the sale price, no rain checks.

this was at the CIRCUIT store, in the CITY, which had a "red colored sales paper/ad."

that being said every time I go to that place I say I won't be back :(  guess I never learn... :-\ :-[

I'm going over that way today so I'll have to stop & ask or call them...

mark M

SwampDonkey

Kent Home, turned me off 2 years ago. I ain't been back to buy anything and never will.  All I can say is people that go in there have no idea how mad they are being  #$#@# :-X :-X :-X >:( Another one I ain't going to is Lowes, that is outlandishly high. woowsers  :o :o

SPIKER

Hey I got the camera! :) and ended up spending more $ on a camera bag and new 2 gig SD card to go with it...  ::) >:( I guess I'll never learn as I took the woman with me she said we HAD to have this & that & other things.;D  I think I now have 300 into this 150 buck camera  :o ::)  I do like the photos though, as I took a few & posted on --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--. of some ebay stuff I need to get rid of...   I'll take a few photos out at the farm tomarrow and post them sun night..   hopefully it isn't too muddy...   I ended up getting a SAMSUNG camera, as I have a phone by same company.  it's been through the ringer LITTERLY as it was sent through the washing machine, dropped in the creek almost flushed 2 times and dropped some 1000 or so times is 3 years old and still on same battery which last better than a week turned on 100% of time.   it did go flunky/flooky for a while after the washing machine wash rinse & spin cycles, (button or 2 didn't work very well, still have a bit of problems with the 0 button but has been nearly bullet proof (shooting it is only thing I haven't done!)  :D :) 8)...

hope the camera is as good !

Mark M

SwampDonkey

My first cell phone didn't do as well in the washer.  ::) The second one was half the price.  ::) One of the things that perturb me is if you have a shop and your selling cell phones and packages and cell phone prepay cards, why should I go into a shop and here "we are out of cell phone prepay cards". Does it take Einstein to figure out that you order them ahead and not wait for the last card to be sold?  ::)

PineNut

SwampDonkey, I have my list of stores that I will not shop in due to not having what they advertise. If they can't tell the truth in their advertisements, then why should you expect anything better in service.

As for Lowe's, their prices are not that good but they do seem to have a good selection. Sometimes I go there as that is the only place I can find what I am looking for. 

Tom

Home Despot fired their Ceo today for letting Lowes get ahead.

It's hard on pencil pusher to make it in the real world when he's at the top of his game and gets fired.  They can't get workman's comp and nobody else in town can afford to hire them.   I suppose he'll have to scrape along the best that he can on his 241 million dollar severance.

OneWithWood

Tom, you could always offer him a can of peas  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

jon12345

some stores here have prepaid UPC codes in a binder, they just scan the one for your prepaid company in the amount you want, and print you a receipt with the number you need to punch in on it or they can add it right there at the store.

I think phones that get wet work better if they are allowed to dry out before trying to use them again.  Some phones have a sticker on them that tells the company if it got wet, and voids the warranty.

Are there any topics that don't become off topic after the first 10 or so posts  :D :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

SwampDonkey

Ones I use are a scratch strip, from underneath you get a 12 digit activation code. The card is shaped like a credit card, but it's paper. Some stores got smart and use a printable version that gives out the access code on the receipt.

Thank You Sponsors!