iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mmmmm Cornbread

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, October 12, 2005, 03:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I made yet another great pan of cornbread last Sunday to go with our dinner.
There is no secret famly recipe, no hidden ingredent. I just follow the instructions
on the back of a bag of Indian Head Cornmeal. 
I preheat my greased cast iron frying pan, pour in the cornmeal mix and walla
Darn good cornbread.

WS

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

moosehunter

Boy that sounds good. I can make a meal out of cornbread.
One large batch of corn bread.
Wash it down with a barley sandwich or two.......YUM!
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Norm

Umm ummmmm I love cornbread! First real cold and rainy fall day make up a big batch of chili and cornbread.

Now my stomaches grumbling. :D

Weekend_Sawyer

I made Chilli and Cornbread a couple of weeks ago, I really like making chilli but it gives me indigestion something fierce! >:(

My famly was saying it was to warm for chilli but I beat them back with a thought
Wehere does chilli come from, do they wait for winter? ;)

and then I thought where does chilli come from?

So I ask, Where does Chilli come from? Chilli?

Jon

CHARLIE

I luvs cornbread!  Especially when baked in a cast iron skillet.  My grandmother (it was Tom's grandmother too ;D ) used to fix a different kind of cornbread.  It was just white cornmeal, water and no salt (a tribute to the times after the War between the States after Sherman's march through Georgia leaving no salt).  I never cared for it without the salt so she would put cracklin' in it which made it salty enough.  I luvs Cracklin' Bread. 8)  Another thing she used to make using flour was something called Hoecake.  It got its name from the field hands that would put the dough on a hoe and hold it over a fire. She'd fill up a cast iron skillet with dough and cook it on a stove. The flip it into a plate, turn it over and slide it back into the skillet to cook the other side.  In our family, whenever we had cornbread or biscuits with our supper, then after supper we'd take some cornbread or biscuit, pour cane syrup over it and have that for dessert. Yum, yum! Remember that Tom? 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bibbyman

Mary makes good cornbread.  I've got to have it with beans.

But the best I think I ever eat was down in Natchez Mississippi at a place called "Cock of the Walk" under the river's edge.  

We stopped for the night there in Natchez on our way to New Orleans and asked where would be a good place to get catfish and we were directed there.  We had to wait a while before we got in and seated but the first thing that came to the table was a right out the oven skillet full of cornbread.  It was baked in a cast iron skillet that was divided into wedges.  They just turned the skillet over in the middle of the table and shook out the cornbread - have at it fashion.

It may just been a combination of where we were and how fresh it was out of the oven or how hungry we were but it was good.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

I remember Grandmom's cornbread and hoecake too, Charlie.    I make one or the other about once a month

I just had some fried corn bread 3 days ago.  It was the real thin "fritter" kind, like Aunt Olivia's daughter, cousin Sarah would make.  Thin batter and almost deep fried so that most of it got kinda lacey and crisp.  I sat down in front of the TV with 3 of them about the size of your hand and ate them with butter.  It was better'n any ol' popcorn.  ;D

The corn bread recipe is in the knowledge base, by the way.  :P  :)

asy

Quote from: Tom on October 12, 2005, 05:58:09 PM
I just had some fried corn bread 3 days ago.  It was the real thin "fritter" kind, like Aunt Olivia's daughter, cousin Sarah would make.  Thin batter and almost deep fried so that most of it got kinda lacey and crisp.  I sat down in front of the TV with 3 of them about the size of your hand and ate them with butter.  It was better'n any ol' popcorn.  ;D

Oh my gosh! Sounds wonderful, but I can feel my waistline expanding just READING that... :(

* asy wanders off to look up the recipe...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

submarinesailor

Asy,

Know what you mean.  I put on a pound just reading it.

Bruce

Bibbyman

How does Johnny cake differ from corn bread?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

I think Johnny Cake is just another name for the Fried corn bread I mention.   It is composed of water and meal but salt and milk is usually added.  A batter about the consistancy of grits is spooned into deep hot grease in a hot cast iron skillet and it is fried like a pancake until browned on both sides.

Weekend_Sawyer

My Mother used to make cornbread cakes, looked like a pancake but MMMMMan were they good, she used them to make her stuffing which was, with out a doubt, the best I ever had.

Mom was a great southern cook, anyone who has met me knows it shows, and I have 4 brothers that are bigger!

Unfortunatley I don't have Mom's cornbread recipe but I sure can taste it now...

Jon

Bro. Noble

That cornbread is good stuff,  another way I like it is with milk for breakfast-------just chunk it up in a glass and pour in the milk ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

CHARLIE

Sounds good Noble.  I like to take a hot slice of cornbread, cut it in half, slather on some butter and pour honey over it.  Now dat's good good eat'n 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

junkyard

Liver gravy, blood sausage and lots of other things go good with corn bread.
Mom made jonny cake just like your corn bread but it had an egg in it. Realy nothing better than pure maole syrup on it.  Jonny cake and first boiling in the spring.
                             Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Don_Papenburg

Johnny cake come from the term Journy cake  . In the 1700s they would make the cornbread for meals as they traveled  . Guess that it would last and not spoil like other foods.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

tnlogger

mmmmm kracklin bread and buttermilk  nothing better cept GriTs  ;D
gene

rbjones03

Late to the thread but Bibbyman, Did you get some fried dill pickels when you were at cock of the walk. They make some mighty fine eatin'

Peterson WPF 8 HI-LO Large Frame

Don_Papenburg

Has anyone made cornmeal out of sweetcorn?  An old fella told me that that was the best cornmeal . I have never tried it yet.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

GareyD

I've ground sweetcorn into cornmeal and yep, it does make for some fine eatin'....but...I have a hard time gettin the critters to leave me enuff in the field to grind >:(...

So...

About once a year, I clean up the stone mill and grind up a 25 pound sack of unpopped Popcorn...makes some of the best tasting cornbread ya can eat, and tastes just about like ya imagine it would...

But sometimes people sure look at ya funny when ya take a sackful of "popcorn cornbread" to the theatre :D :D :D
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

sawguy21

I remember my great aunt serving sliced cornbread. I had never heard of it (coming from the wilds of western Canada :D) but could not get enough served hot with maple syrup. Don't think I have had it since.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ohsoloco

I'm still waiting for some cornbread "cakes" from my brother.  Last Christmas I bought him an old cast iron pan that has seven or eight little molds in it that look like ears or corn.  I should NOT be reading this post right now as I'm mighty hungry  :D

CHARLIE

Ohsoloco, that cast iron pan you bought for your little brother is to make corn pones. I've never heard of cornbread "cakes".  Yep, a platter of hot corn pones, some butter and some honey or syrup is mighty good.  Corn pones and butter for the meal and corn pones, butter and honey or syrup for dessert.  Mighty fine eat'n 8)
Charlie

ohsoloco

Charlie, I've never heard of corn pones before...I just assumed that pan was for making individual pieces of corn bread, kinda like muffins.  How do corn pones differ from corn bread  ???

Bro. Noble

Those pones are harder than regular cornbread.  I like it better from a pan or skillit myself.

Now 'Cornpone' was the name of a character in some of my favorite literature.  Anyone remember him?
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Thank You Sponsors!