iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie in Southern Maine

Started by Rafterman, June 26, 2016, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafterman

Hey guys,

I'm in southern Maine, just got my Fathers Hudson sawmill set up. He used it years ago when I was in highschool, he couldn't cut straight or square, so he got frustrated and just stopped. The mill sat in the shed for a few years.

Being done with college, and having a bit of free time, I decided to try and set it up again. I had a buddy come over and we poured a slab. Neither of us had done it before, so it was kind of a learning experience.

The 1 cyl gas engine was siezed as well. Poured some ATF down the plug hole and let it sit for a day. Then I put my impact on the crank and let her rip. Engine busted free, and runs pretty good now.

I found an unused blade and started to saw. A few days later I had to take a break and go back to work, but I've been having fun fiddling with the mill. Now I'm back and looking forward to cutting some more.

Right now I'm skidding wood with the 7.3 Ford. I'm also only cutting crooked/dead stuff.

Going to look at a skidder tommorow. Anyone got a contact in southern Maine for sawlogs?

Magicman

Hello Rafterman and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  It will be interesting to watch your sawing progress.

Adding your location to your profile will help us to remember.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tnaz

Welcome Rafterman, and glad to hear you have your Dads old mill, your new mill running.  Lots of great info to be had here. 
Thanks for the pictures and keep us informed as to the straightness/squareness issues.

Terry

slider

Looks like you have a plan . Welcome to the form.
al glenn

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum.  Have fun with your mill.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Kbeitz

You was lucky that you did not split the flywheel putting an impact on the flywheel nut.
I've seen it happen more than once.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Rafterman!

Always good to see some of the "younger crowd" taking an interest in the "sport" of sawmilling!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum.
There!!! You got a good base for the mill now.  ;D
Have you worked in the woods much? Cut logs before?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Czech_Made

Welcome!

Does the mill cut straight/square now?

Rafterman

Thanks for the replies.

The mill does cut better than before with the solid base. I may attempt to locate some channel iron to further stiffen the rails. Been having better luck and better results. I think the next step is to just practice and read.

I've worked in the woods with my Father and Uncle. Mostly firewood. They had a little tractor/winch combo that worked alright.

Going to order a few new blades and a belt for the mill.

Then my buddy and I are going to saw up some trap runners. Little sticker sized pieces of oak that go on the bottom of lobster traps. Lobsterman need new ones every few years.

scully

To bad you aint from the " county" but that don't make you alll bad ! You look prity serious though ! Nice job so far .
I bleed orange  .

wng-2

Rich
Berwick,Maine
Woodmizer LT-15
Kubota L-4400

Thank You Sponsors!