iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Curly maple pricing help

Started by CLinLogs, October 01, 2018, 03:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLinLogs

I have some curly maple that's ready to sell but I'm struggling to decide what to price it at and I'm looking for some opinions. I live near the Minneapolis metro area so there's a large market here, and I do this as a hobby/side project so the standard methods for pricing are a little less helpful and harder to measure sometimes.

I have some 8/4 live edge slabs, several 8/4x16" square edge boards, several 5/4x6" and 8" dimensional lumber and a few other odd sized pieces. They're all 9.5' long, they are kiln dried, surfaced, sanded to 150 grit and have very little if any defects at all!

Where would you start?

CLinLogs

ladylake

That sure looks like $10 to $20 a bf to me even in Minnesota.  Steve 
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

nativewolf

our slabbing colleague in PA should weigh in on this, he loves curly maple.
Liking Walnut

Busysawyer

There is a guy local to me selling some beautiful kiln dried 4/4 curly maple for $7 a bf. He's had his add on craigslist for months now.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

woodmills1

at least 6 but hold out for most you can, cause that be nice stuff

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

PAmizerman

That's why I don't saw hardwood. It's too hard to move in my area. I can't get out of it what it is actually worth. Sorry I can't help on pricing but that is some beautiful stuff. If I asked anything above $4 a foot here I would be laughed right out of business. Kudos to you guys that can sell for top dollar.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

PA_Walnut

There are things that drive the price other than figure: width and color. White (sap) is the most desirable.
Heartwood, streaks and stain surely reduce the desirability and price tag. Better to have a narrower board with 100% sap.

Slab markets have a different standard.

RED ALERT on those stickers. They look wide and will almost surely promote stain. Be careful.

This type of material is what brings the best money:

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

YellowHammer

I was going to say much the same thing, different cuts for different specialties.  It's all about the target customer, for the same reason some people want a T bone, while some will pay more for a smaller cut of prime rib.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Satamax

This stuff is lovely.

Best way to move it, if nobody wants to give you the asked price.

Cut it in 20" lengths, and sell on ebay, as electric guitar blanks. Obviously QS fetches more than flatsawn. And even better, is to have some bookmatched stuff. It might take a while, be a hassle for shipping. But it works.

Toutes les catégories | eBay
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

CLinLogs

Around here the market for 4/4 dimensional lumber is garbage. You need to have thick and wide, or live edge to get big money for it. I usually sell basic  walnut live edge around $8/bf.

I hear you on the sticker stain, but all the pictures I shared are post kiln drying and I didn't have any issues! As luck would have it.

WIwoodworker

We sell a lot of curly Maple next door over here in Wisconsin. In addition to factors already discussed the next most important thing is how much you want to get and how long you are willing to wait to get it. My regular price on 8/4 curly Maple is $10bf. I don't sell it every day but enough to warrant keeping a regular supply on hand. If you just want to turn it over and get cash in your pocket quickly then $6-$7bf would do the trick in MPLS. Nice looking wood. You shouldn't have a problem selling it.
Peterson 9" WPF

4x4American

I've sold some wicked curly soft maple for like $2-3/bf green.  I have some beautiful curly HM that I will sell around $4/bf because it's been stacked on breeze dry sticks under cover for awhile
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PA_Walnut

Quote from: WDH on October 07, 2018, 07:34:55 PMYou are cheap . 

Well, I noted on his info that he's 126 years old. Had plenty of time to make the cash!! :o
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

PA_Walnut

LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!