iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

forest fire

Started by snowstorm, May 07, 2015, 09:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

around 5 pm the forest service pickup went flying by with lights and siren. not long after that there was a helicopter to drop water on it. the word is its a mile or more back into the woods and not to far from a piece of land i own. maybe i should take a look in the am to see if i have a 100 ac of green trees or black trees

Maine logger88

It's out now I guess last I heard it had burned up around 15ac I don't know if it spread much after that but it wasn't long after they said 15ac that I got word it got put out. I wonder how it started?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Logger003

At least they got to it quick it could have been a lot worse. I guess fire season has started

thecfarm

Hope all is well. There was one beside my land years ago. It was burning on the old slash that was left over from logging.We had not cut ours off,at that time. No fuel to feed the fire,so it went out when it got on my land. Fire dept came with 2 inch hoses and a bunch of indian pumps and that helped too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Maine logger88

Heard another guy claim 50+ac so I don't know. Of course all I know is just hear say I haven't gone over and asked

BradMarks

We had our first real fire this week. Contained at 123 acres. County south of us. It will be a long fire season it appears.

snowstorm

Quote from: Maine logger88 on May 08, 2015, 12:19:11 PM
Heard another guy claim 50+ac so I don't know. Of course all I know is just hear say I haven't gone over and asked
i heard 50 ac then i heard 300 so who knows. also that most of it was robbins land

Maine logger88

Huh yeah I didn't get a chance to get over that way and ask anybody today. Have you heard how it started? I know Robbins had quite a lot of wood cut out there not long ago I wonder if it was mostly just the slash that was burning

snowstorm

they didnt leave many trees standing except for some nice big pine

4x4American

I forest fires are good for the land, but not when its your land!
Boy, back in my day..

Maine logger88

http://m.penbaypilot.com/article/searsmont-woods-fire-55-percent-contained-46-acres-burned-so-far/52594
I found this article. I wonder if they will be harvesting the big pine now to salvage what they can.

sprucebunny

There was a 130 acre fire in Ossipee NH on Wednesday and Thursday. They brought in a helicopter.
Pretty dry spring, so far.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

snowstorm

Quote from: Maine logger88 on May 08, 2015, 08:11:04 PM
http://m.penbaypilot.com/article/searsmont-woods-fire-55-percent-contained-46-acres-burned-so-far/52594
I found this article. I wonder if they will be harvesting the big pine now to salvage what they can.
the last few pics are next to the snowmobile bridge. there is a winter road that heads back towards the jackson rd. and all this is in whitcher swamp. the same swamp i pushed a tree 21ft down into the ground with the harvester a yr ago march

1270d

If the fire gets down into a peet swamp I have heard it is very hard to put out

Maine logger88

That's the road that comes in from over by evergreen valley right? That's deep wouldn't wanna break through that's for sure! Who were you cutting on there Robbins?

snowstorm

Quote from: Maine logger88 on May 09, 2015, 02:01:31 PM
That's the road that comes in from over by evergreen valley right? That's deep wouldn't wanna break through that's for sure! Who were you cutting on there Robbins?
thats the road it goes tru to the new england rd. i was cutting on my ground

snowstorm

i got a little more imfo from someone on the fire dept. the fire got away from a guy on the jackson rd. ......you can guess who it was.....and he did not have a permit. forest service had 2 choppers on the job billed out at $1300 per hr each total hrs around 8. the fire trucks at $120 for 2 days. looks like someone is getting a big bill. now it gets better. i knew this guy was suing robbins over a property lines. my source says he won. now robbins is suing him for starting the fire. and burning there land

Maine logger88

Yes I know exactly who is was  ::). I have no idea why he would wanna burn the meadow anyway it seems pointless to me. Yeah that little deal is gonna cost him some big $$$ I think. Did you hear a total of acres burned?

snowstorm

Quote from: Maine logger88 on May 12, 2015, 08:02:03 PM
Yes I know exactly who is was  ::). I have no idea why he would wanna burn the meadow anyway it seems pointless to me. Yeah that little deal is gonna cost him some big $$$ I think. Did you hear a total of acres burned?

4x4American

$1300/hr is crazy!
That's almost how much my hourly rate is, and I can saw way more lumber with my mill than they can with their helicopter  :D
Boy, back in my day..

Maine logger88

It is a lot but I'd hate to have the expenses of owning and maintaining a helicopter

sawguy21

That would be a light helicopter probably an AS350, a 212 would run close to two grand. Fire season is in full swing in the central BC interior, it is mighty dry here with no decent amount of rain forecast.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

OntarioAl

Folks
I have a long association working with helicopters fighting forest fires. They are a very expensive but extremely useful tool in a fire fighters arsenal.
A major part of the hourly charges are Insurance and component time. Major parts of the helicopter i.e. rotors have to be regularly inspected and replace by zero timed components the cost of which is factored into the hourly charges.
We rent the helicopters at a dry hourly rate and supply the fuel, a 212 is a thirsty beast using about 400 liters of jet fuel an hour.
That being said if we charge for the costs of an at fault forest fire suppression the 212 we are talking about would be charged out at 2500 to 3000 dollars an hour.
Al
Al Raman

timberlinetree

They use helicopters around here but I like the dodge.

this was a fire down the road. Work safe out there and be careful of fire its real dry in our area.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Logger003

A fire started in my area today was talking to a conservation officer he said it hasn't burnt much today but it was pretty calm today there forcasting high winds for tomorrow figure it's going to be a bad day tomorrow. This fire is burning in the area I was planning to
Log this winter

Thank You Sponsors!