iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodworking Shop

Started by lacapic, May 24, 2008, 05:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

Well, being from Georgia, heating is usually the least of my concerns in the shop, but when it does get a little nippy in there, I fire up a kerosene heater.  I suspect it gets a little chillier up your way ;D.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

logwalker

My shop ceilings are 15' and I wish they were taller. It is great when you are working with long stock. Just lean against the walls or shelve units. Best way to store them. Then you get a small forklift and put up pallet racking. I am a little over the top maybe. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

lacapic

OK, Ok I really think I'm convinced to go at least with 9 foot walls, maybe 10! I'm still curious to know how you guys heat your shops. Rather danderous with a wood stoves although it's probably tempting (an easy way to get rid of embarrassing projects).

WDH

Your profile info does not say where you are from.  I do not heat my shop, so in the winter, it can be tough to work in the shop when the temperature falls below freezing.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

Before moving here I built a shop in Chelsea Qc.  North of Ottawa ... I went with 10 foot walls , 2 X 6 studs milled on my mill . the floor joice for the second floor where are 2 X 10 12' The floor is ciment , if I was to be building a new one , the floor would have pex pipe all through it . As it is I have a wood furnace in there for heat , ( forced air unit ) all the cutoffs and the evidence of those too short cuts are used for heating , The outside walls are all white pine board and batten , I used 1 X 12 on the bottom and boards with waine for the gables .
  If you go to my pikchure galery  there should be a few pics of the shop . I also incorporated a 18 foot wide carport to the garage/shop that went the full lenght of the shop (36') in this I was able to put the stairs to go to the second floor wich was only used for storage I was only able to go 22' wide because of municipal regulations  >:( 26 would of been a lot better ........
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

lacapic

isawlogs, now you're talking! Your shop sounds pretty much like what I had in mind. I was thinking the building would be 24X32 with a full walkout basement. In the basement I would put a wood furnace to heat the shop (probably pex pipe) and also connect the wood furnace to the oil furnace in the house. I would also have plenty of space in the basement for the 4 wheeler, plow, lawn mower, etc. The upstairs would be totally for the workshop. I decided on 24 feet wide because I think that width is plenty wide so that you have easy access to the major tools (planer, jointer, saw) and 32 feet long is suitable for milling (Woodmaster Planer Molder). I am one that does not believe the more space the better; I want to have my tools close and not walk a mile from one to the other. I like the idea of the carport. The wife will put her car in the garage attached to the house but I have no place for my truck. Thanks for the info. BTW, I live in Nova Scotia and yes, it can get cold but I think Ottawa is colder.

Thank You Sponsors!