iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling BIG Logs 62" dia White Oaks

Started by Ga_Boy, September 12, 2006, 07:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga_Boy

We have set the date to start milling those BIG White Oaks that Dave, Dan and I par-buckled up on to our trailers.  We did a thread on them back in May when we hauled them off the job site.

We will start milling on Friday, September 21.  If anyone is interested in visiting and watching a swing blade reduce these 3 big logs in to lumber and saw dust let me know.  For lunch we will through burgers on the grill and for dinner we can chase down a few yard-birds and put them on the grill.

We would be glad to have anybody come down, over or up for a visit.  Shoot me a PM if you want to join in.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

HARLEYRIDER

I just finished up some red oak 44" to 34". Four 10' logs gave me 1500 bd ft+ of 1 by's

Greenwoods Timberworks

sawguy21

Wow, I see some beautiful cabinets and ding room furniture coming from that. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Hey GaBoy,

This Georgia boy wishes he could bring his 10" Peter WPF and give
you a hand, but I have some 54" Pecan to wrestle with down here ..

AT HOME IN GEORGIA!

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Captain

Joel, I wish all the red oak I cut had money like that inside  :)

Captain

Burlkraft

Hold it right there.............

Where's yer slabber ??? ??? ??? You can't be cuttin' nice table slabs like that inta boards :o :o :o :o

How  do you sleep at night zzzz_smiley zzzz_smiley zzzz_smiley

I can see I better throw my slabber in da truck and head out right now :D :D move_it move_it move_it
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Dan_Shade

how do you guys dry a big slab like that?  i can see them looking like a "u" after the wood starts moving.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

HARLEYRIDER

Quote from: Dan_Shade on September 20, 2006, 06:29:23 PM
how do you guys dry a big slab like that?  i can see them looking like a "u" after the wood starts moving.

I hear ya....I have allot to learn about drying. The widest I'm going for now is 16"

These four 10' logs gave us over 1600bd ft of 1 by's and lots of stickers. The pith in all 4 was all checked up from sitting 10 months.

Greenwoods Timberworks

Jeff

Make sure ya get some pictures Mark! Do you have to block up the mill for that diameter?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

i'll take my camera and we'll get some videos too!

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ga_Boy

Not sure if I will have to block up the mill for these.  The dia is 62", I am hoping I can squeeze that extrat 2" out of my WPF.

I'll have my camera and I am sure Dave will have his as well.

Look forward to lots of pictures.

DR_Buck

Camera is ready and batteries are charged.   Plan on being there by 8 AM.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Ga_Boy

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!!!         HOO!!!!! YAH!!!!!!              BIG LOGS!!!!!!

Don K

If you ain't too tired, how about some pictures for us to WOW   :o :o   over? I would love to be there to see those clear white oak boards come rolling off behind that peterson.   8) 8) ;D
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Dan_Shade

we spent the better part of the day scratching our heads.

with big logs, the peterson has to be set up correctly around the logs or you can't clear it the entire way through.  we ran into this.

we also had to mess around with getting it blocked up and building a platform to start on.  we never got to the slabbing part.

Dan_Shade

then we went "oops", so we came up with this:

then more head scratching, to come up with this:

aha!

then we realized the saw was at head level.... which lead to... Carpentry!

and finally sawing

but then we realized the log was sitting too far to the left rail not allowing the blade full entry into the log... so we sawed down as far as we could, then moved the log out, which was another PITA all together. Methods were used which border on the stupid side of the stupid line, and we all would have been lectured from our mothers...

then we got the next log sitting into place ready for dave and mark to tackle it today, I couldn't make it because of other commitments today :(

more pictures in my gallery

Part_Timer

Looks like a blast.

To bad you couldn't have borrowed an ATS you could have just slid the mill sideways to make room beside the log instead of moving it.

What size lumber are y'all going to make?
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Dan_Shade

we were sawing a lot of 8-10" stuff, but we were sawing the worst part of the worst log.  lots of rotten wood...

mark borrowed a slabber, i'm not sure if they're going to tackle that today or not.

DanG

That looks like a pain in the posterior and a barrel of fun, all at the same time. 8) 8)

It also looks like a convenient time to grease the wheel bearings on that Hyster. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

I got some logs commin up, about that size. Don't believe my Peterson will saw both sides in one placeing. How did you saw the log completely, have to turn it ???

Even sawing from both sides, one side will not let you get past the hub ???

Is that a WIDE Peterson, or a standard ?? Mine's standard.  ::) ::)

Let's see, what is Espanol for "Powder"  ??? ::) 8) 8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Burlkraft

Log splitter in a can...eh Deadheader ??? ??? :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Ga_Boy

Dan's post on not being able to mill the right side of the log was a little unclear.  What we wanted to do was double cut some 20" wide boards but we set the log too far to the right side of the frame.  We milled the butt log down till it was small enough to fit in the frame with out the blocking. 

Here are some pictures of the rigging we did.

Blocking for the rails, these cants are 8"X8" Sweet Gum that I had laying around.

Mill set up with the butt log, we had to block the mill up by 18" at the lowest point and by 25" inches at the highest point.

Dave Buckwalter scanning for metal.

I think I pushed Dan out of his safety zone.  On the picture where the Hyster wheels are in the air for the load, we countered this by setting a steel I beam on the rear of the Hyster and strapping it down, then Dan and Dave hung on the the back to keep the wheels on the gound enough for me to steer.  I am sure it looked funny be we got the job done.

Radar67

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dan_Shade

hah "out of the safety zone"

yeah.... i'd say...

all's well that ends well :)

Fla._Deadheader

When we designed the Slabber Bar for our Peterson, we used the "Helper handle" at the dumb end. That will give me, hopefully, a 42" cut on a perfectly symetrical log.

BIG logs will need to be split.  ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!