iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Radio Controlled LT40 Project

Started by Ga Mtn Man, July 20, 2016, 06:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

I like it a lot but I find that I mostly use it when sawing through a cant.  When sawing big knotty logs that challenge my little 26.5HP (formerly 29HP, but don't even get me started on that) Kohler, I feel like I can modulate the feed speed better with my hands on the operator console.  Thanks for asking D-U-G.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

4x4American

I'm sure it was worth it.

pssst....!

Say Paul   smiley_wavy

Most folks increase the hp on their engines, not lower it!  Don't ya know?!
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: 4x4American on September 22, 2016, 08:29:34 PM
I'm sure it was worth it.

pssst....!

Say Paul   smiley_wavy

Most folks increase the hp on their engines, not lower it!  Don't ya know?!

Wasn't me.  It was the government.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

4x4American

Ohhhh ok, now that makes perfect sense...(not cents)
Boy, back in my day..

drobertson

Pretty freaking cool!  Paul you did good, very neat and tidy, professional!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Has that thing had lift-off and near Earth orbit yet?  Hard to escape Earth's gravity with just sawdust as a propellant  :).  Just think, when you get the minor details worked out, you can space walk and cut a few boards at the same time.  How cool is that?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

barbender

That is awesome, GMM!! Now on my old Super mill with the board drag back, that would be a groovy addition!
Too many irons in the fire

Ga Mtn Man

Thanks David and barbender.  It means a lot that all you guys appreciate the work that went into this thing.

Danny, as a matter of fact just the other day I was sittin' on my tailgate, radio in hand, speed pot just about pegged, sawing some very nice 1x12 poplar boards when I noticed the operator side wheel lifting off the ground as the carriage went by... too much thrust from the sawdust chute I reckon.  Dialed back on the feed speed a bit and all was well.  True story.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

I was traveling when you posted the video and I missed it.  Your "sweat equity" is fully rewarded.  That thing is awesome Paul.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

svart ole

Started to read this and saw the RC control. Now I did not read all the way through so someone may have commented already.  The first thing that came to mind (you said you have flown RC) so I have to think you have considered the guy across the road from where you are set up taking his RC model for a spin when you are sawing and what may happen. When I am running my CNC router I am always within arms reach of a E-Stop button. Electronics do not always function as they are supposed to and even relays can stick. If I have learned anything over the years it is that if it can happen, it will. Never turn your back on a automated machine or never trust a robot. Great to see someone with the ability to apply some tech to make work easier. Good on ya.
My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

Ga Mtn Man

Radio control technology has come a long way in the last 25 years.  You will no longer find radio impounding or frequency pins at most flying fields.  Receivers are "bound" to the controlling transmitter and use frequency-hopping, spread-spectrum technology that virtually eliminates interference from other radios.  I hope you will take the time to read through my posts and see that I have built into the system numerous safety and fail-safe features.

lumberjack1986

@Ga Mtn Man awesome thread!  I'm assuming you didn't forward with the PCB/bringing this to market?  

DanMc

Reading through this thread, I came across a post from Kbeitz.  I miss his posts.  He was always building something very clever and innovative out of junk.  My kind of man.

Anybody know how he's doing?
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

beenthere

Not doing well on this forum..   ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sixacresand

At the end of a cut, a good helper would declutch the engine, raise the sawing head and bring the head back to where I am sitting.  Then I could set and start the next cut while he dealt with a board or slab :D  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Durf700

any updates on how this RC mill is doing?  curious to the expense and if this was ever re-produced.

awesome job!!!!! 

luap

congradulations on getting that figured out. I was heavily into rc flying and modeling for years and then dropped the gas powered for electric and then discovered building from foam, I have boxes of motors, several tx's, receivers and associated supplies but don't do it any more. when you mentioned what you had to do to get instntaneous response, it reminded me that each rx had a simple program procedure to sync it with the transmitter so you would get instant response It was something like advance to full throttle then back to zero  then full until  it would beep four times and on the third beep move it to zero throttle and that was it. and then you had instant throttle response,etc. I don't recall what it was but each tx came with a short instructional sheet that laid it all out. also important to power down the tx before the rx at the end of the flight.  My brain fog may be confusing this and I am unable to get into my shop to confirm this. I really enjoyed the foam building as there was no remorse on crashing and breaking as so easy to fix or rebuild. If my grand kids ever get interested, they will have a treasure trove of rc plane stuff.

Thank You Sponsors!