iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Aligning a Wood-Mizer Twin blade edger.

Started by Dave Shepard, May 06, 2015, 08:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

My ED26 edger has been giving me fits lately. It won't feed a board straight through. It happened to me once before, and I cleaned the feed rollers with a pressure washer, and that cured it. I tried that again, but it didn't help. I talked to Peter Drouin this weekend, and he gave me some pointers. There is nothing in the owner's manual about aligning the blade arbor with the feed rolls. They only address blade spacing and setting the fence to the blades. I ended up coming up with my own system that I think is extremely accurate, and may have pointed me in the right direction. The first thing I did was to put a straightedge across the inner feed rollers, then measure down with a combination square to make sure the blade arbor was at the same height as the feed rolls. It was perfectly parallel, which was good. Then, I used a small diameter tape I had that has a flat blade that I could wrap around the roller shaft and the blade arbor. I did this on both sides, and I was within about 1/64" from one side to the other, so the infeed roller and the blade arbor were square. I did this with the rear outfeed roller, and found it to be a different measurement from one side to the other. This makes sense, as the board seemed to feed straight for about 2', then wanted to start walking away from the fence. On a two blade cut (bark on both sides of the board) the board would have a wiggle in the first foot or so, and in the last foot. I haven't gotten a chance to adjust anything, but I think I'm on the right track.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Dave when we talked, For me, I used a level and held it plum against the blade shaft and then measured to the feed rollers. Then use a string to get the fence in right.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!