iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

.223 in a .222?

Started by Raider Bill, September 30, 2008, 10:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Was talking guns last night with a guy. The high price of ammo came up.
He said that due to the high cost and virtual unavailability of .222 anymore he has been using .223 in his .222 / 20 ga over under.

Got me to wondering,

is this safe?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

mburrow

the 223 will not fit in a 222 chamber, the 223 is longer.
the only way to do this is to have the barrel rechambered to the 223.
if rechambered and headspace is correct  then it would be safe

WH_Conley

I would have to get my books out with specs to make sure, but I think will have to agree with mburrow. I will not hit on a bolt hard enough to make ANYTHING chamber.
Bill

Raider Bill

I'm not sure I will ever see this guy again. Just didn't think it would work.
Seemed more like a BS;er to me but inquireing minds needed to know.

ely

the guys are correct. 222 is 1.70 maximum lentgh .223 is 1.76

not certain but he may have told you that backwards. the reason i say that is i understood there to be a shortage of .223 rounds because of the war. they do list the 5.56x 45 as a different cart. than a .223 in some places. but they are the same to me.

if he was shooting the 222 in a 223 it is not advisable. would have the pressure spike that could be lethal-if you even got it to fire.

Raider Bill

Pretty sure it was >223 in a .222 as he said it was over under and the .223 was more available and better price that .222

Said the gun was very old, maybe it's worm out enough to chamber the .223.

Like I said I'll probaley never see this guy again, just struck me as wrong.

Price of ammo has really gone up weather it is the war or just the price of components.

Heres another question,

Will 9mm luger shoot in  glock 9mm model 19?

ely

i am pretty sure they are the same overall dimensions. 1.169 on the luger and the stuff listed as 9mm goes from 1.165 - 1.170 in some literature.

Raider Bill

I've been shooting 9mm parabellem in the glock what little bit I shoot it anyway.
Was given 500 rounds of 9mm luger but never tried them in it.

Ron Scott

The 9mm Luger and the 9mm Parabelleum are the same. Parabelleum is the military shell version and 9mm Luger is domestic named after Luger, the founder of the 9mm.
~Ron

Raider Bill

Thanks! I'll bring them up to Tenn then and shoot the glock.
Give my old 1911 a well earned rest.

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm wondering if he didn't mean 222 in a 223 because 223's are not so hard to find but have really gone up in price.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Raider Bill

No .223 in his .222. Conversation started as we were talking about over under combo's. I have a 22 over 410 that I really like.
Saw him last night [didn't think I'd ever see him again]
Anyway I questioned this again. he say gun is very old. Was his grandfathers and reaffirmed that he's been getting .223's as the cost is far lower than.222's
Kentucky hillbilly  down here working.

I wondered if it was worn out to the point that .223's would fit.

ely

maybe, and it could be worn out from shooting it that way. i am betting you could not reload those fireformed cases for either gun anymore though.

may have even been a 222 mag, but i do not know the dimensions on that round so it may still not be a fit.

not gonna say he did not do it, cause i did not see it. but in my mind it won't work. there is a million possibilities, someone that would do that would not be above smithing the gun a little to do it. ie, drill bit down the chamber so they fit better. ::)

Raider Bill

Anything could have happened or did...............
This guy doesn't strike me as the brightest bulb in the box.
Did show me a box of wolf brand .223's with half missing.

Weekend_Sawyer

I have a 223 over 12ga mag. made by savage, I think model 24.
LOVE it, my ultimate turkey gun.

Hopefully I'll get to use it at the end of the month ;D

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Tom

what do you use the .223 for?

Larry

Most times to poke holes in paper.  Other times in my machine gun to......

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

beenthere

Larry
That is some impressive shooting.
Good on ya.
8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pigman

I could not get a grouping like that by putting the gun barrel against the paper. :o
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Raider Bill

Raider Bill

Well the mystery is solved!

He went home for the weekend and brought the gun back with him to show me last night.
This babies OLD and beat up. >223 did fit in the chamber but I don't think I would ever trust any part of it to shoot.
Just about all the rifleing is worn out. Chamber is sloppy. A .223 vittually rattles when gun is closed. stocks cracked and duct taped.
No markings anywhere, no idea who made the gun.

You probaly could have put a 30-06 round in it :o Not really but you get the idea.

I said I can't believe you shoot this thing. He says it was handed down from his Grandfather to Father to him and is the only firearm he will ever need. Aw bin feeding my family venison 30 years  using it.

smiley_hillbilly_tub_base

Even offered to take it out to my back yard and shoot it. Now I live in the city and that would bring the Troops running for sure.

It reminded me of something you might find in a old barn under 100 years of tack way in the back.

Boy rides a panhead that leaks, creaks and  rattles, no front brakes, Sort of makes sense...................

Ron Scott

Doesn't seem very safe to me. ;) I sure wouldn't be shooting it and surprised that it hits anything.
~Ron

Raider Bill

I wouldn't shoot it, Not even the 20 ga part. There wasn't much differance in the barrels, both smooth. You could see where the rifleing was at one time barely. I didn't have my camera.
I can't see how he could hit anything myself. He said he can hit  flea's behind................. Pretty skinny guy so maybe the deer are safe where he hunts.

barbender

I think it must be a .222 mag, I was just reading about this- the .222 mag and the .223 were both developed as the new 5.56 military cartridge. The .222 mag was too long to work in the then new M-16, so the .223 was selected and remington dropped the .222 magnum. That's what I read in "The Book Of The Rifle" by Jim Carmichael anyways. I can't see a chamber wearing out on a .222 to where a longer .223 would fit in it. There's really nothing to wear other than the throat (where the bullet engages the rifling) That won't affect the chamber size though. Whatever the case, it's a good way to blow a gun up in your face!!
Too many irons in the fire

Raider Bill

Barbender,
That very well could be. In looking at ths gun and the machine work I'd have to say it redates .223

Thank You Sponsors!