iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

beech

Started by turningfool, June 13, 2009, 07:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turningfool

i have a friend whos thinkng on logging off some acerage loaded with large beech trees,any clue as to the going rate for this species today?

Jeff

Its likely to be at the bottom of the barrel for stumpage prices.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Night Raider

I sold some in 2006 (just at the peak of the log market) and the price was low then, around $200/mbf I think, they only took a few trees they were mostly taking hard maple.  We don't have much of a market for it here, but I'm sure it's dropped from there.

John Mc

No market for it around here. It does make good firewood, and it's a nice source of food for wildlife.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thedeeredude

I think beech is an undervalued species...unfortunately.  Quartersawn beech is very pretty and once its dry it doesn't jump around much.  If it is high quality beech, specialty plane makers need that sort of thing.  If he wants to go to that length, contact Clark and Williams plane makers and ask  the sizes commonly needed and details on the stock required.  I think beech flooring with knots and color in it would be great, too.  I just think its a shame that such a beautiful wood is often sent for pallets and ties, but I fully understand that there's no big market.  You might just call me a.......beech nut :D  Corny, I know ;D

Shotgun

Ahhh yes, beech.  Enjoy it while you can.  Beech bark disease is coming to a beech forest near you.  It's the Dutch elm disease of beech trees.  Sad, but true.     :o

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

SwampDonkey

The disease has been in these parts for decades. Only in far NW New Brunswick is it still relatively disease free, where the climate is colder. There wasn't much beech on the farm here, I can only remember understory trees. On my uncle's ground it was and is still abundant, mostly regen now since the ones of size were put into firewood. Does it ever regenerate thick.  :o I think it was once prized for sled runners here as was ironwood.

I've always wondered if sapsucker wasn't partly responsible for spreading the disease as it pecks on a diseased beech and moves to a clear one and pecks. Maybe not, but seems possible to me. I know scale is the primary culprit responsible for it's spread.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodmills1

maybe you could sell it to Budweiser :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Sawyerfortyish

I'll second the remark on beech making real nice flooring. The bigger the older the nicer color. I've cut some that the heart of the tree could be mistaken for cherry. Altho I've never made any beech flooring it's on my list to try.

fishpharmer

I like that idea, Woodmills.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WH_Conley

My living room is paneled with beech that has some spalt. Looks good, wasn't as dry as I thought it was, after putting the wood stove up.
Bill

Ron Scott

Beech along with most sawlogs haven't been selling well if at all. The current State average stumpage price in northern Lower Michigan is $50.00/MBF, but the price varies daily depending upon specific locale and markets.

Large beech trees usually don't make for much volume in quality sawlogs. They are often better left for wildlife mast, den, snag, and cavity trees. The are popular with porcupines for den trees. ;)
~Ron

Corley5

Last I checked beech tie logs were bringing 90 bucks a cord at the mill.  Processed into firewood it'll bring 180  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

turningfool

ty,for all of the replies..will have him check around ..might even turn some if i can find some that is spalted 8)

deutz4

Beech has always seemed to be a quality wood without a home. Back when we had the mill running, our grade buyer told us that one of their best customers used it to make test tube stands because it resisted staining. He also kept an eye out for highly figured beech for guitar makers. It does have a nasty propensity to twist while air drying.
Have been working on the west side of the state this spring and am surprised by how much more infected the trees are there.

woodmills1

I always thought industrial kitchen counters and butcherblock were made of beech, but a quick search did not show that to be true.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

got my market report today

beech listed southern hardwood only green

this is lumber not trees

Fas 4/4 $445/1000

6/4 505/1000 

4/4 #3a  215/1000

not listed in the kiln dried section

appalation beech FAS boards

$500 to 550 from 4/4 to 8/4

not in appalation kiln dried

northern beech lumber
FAS 585 to 655
not in the kiln dried also

Thank You Sponsors!