iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trailer bearing grease

Started by Kindlinmaker, June 10, 2018, 01:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindlinmaker

I guess I am getting old; everything seems too complicated these days. Went to the auto parts store to buy wheel bearing grease for my 6 ton dump trailer. There were various brands so I asked the counter guy which one and frankly, I don't think he knew the difference between a wheel bearing and a crank shaft. It's been years since I've had to buy wheel bearing grease but I sure don't remember so many choices. Trailer has EZ-Lube hubs so I need cartridges. Any suggestions on what to buy?
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

Southside

I can't recall the additive and have been meaning to look it up myself, but @Magicman had a posting on what you really wanted to look for in grease.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

A forum search for "grease" will find many topics/posts.

Here is one:  the best grease in Sawmills and Milling
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kindlinmaker

Thanks for the help and direction. 
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

Al_Smith

Most of it is lithium based grease .Its not really expensive ,10-12 bucks a tube or you can buy it in a can if you want .
Grease is nothing more than oil with a thickening agent .

gspren

Most lithium grease is not overly water resistant and are advised against for boating uses. I get marine grade grease in tubes at Tractor Supply and at the slight extra cost I just use it for everything.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Al_Smith

A word of caution on marine usage .Do not use moly grease on anything that comes in contact with salt water .It will set up like concrete .
Case in point ,heading out to sea from Norfolk on the surface with main hatch on a submarine fouled .Myself and the chief of the boat topside ,two giants below to get it closed .Fact had a hard time getting it opened in one of the southern islands .Somebody had to answer serous questions over that incident .It was moly greased .

Thank You Sponsors!